• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How much money (USD) are you willing to spend per episode?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much money (USD) are you willing to spend per episode?
I have no limit
22%
 22%  [ 17 ]
B. Less than 15 dollars
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
C. Less than 7 dollars
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
D. Less than 5 dollars
30%
 30%  [ 23 ]
E. Less than 2 dollars
27%
 27%  [ 21 ]
F. Less than 75 cents
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
F. I don't buy anime
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 76

Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I considered the question as more of a question of how much I'd pay for an individually streamed episode, for which I selected less than $2 (99 cents is more like it). But if we're doing averages on sets, etc...let's just say I've spent significantly more than per episode a number of times.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
What moonie92 wrote:
Quality or not, I have a certain amount of time I dedicate to watching anime, and if I didn't do this, I'm pretty sure I'd end up with some really awesome shows, but I'd run out of stuff to watch.

How I interpret it wrote:
Quality or not, I have a certain amount of money I dedicate to purchasing anime, and if I didn't do this, I'm pretty sure I'd end up with some really awesome shows, but I'd run out of money to spend.

Ask yourself this: If you had the money to buy those $6 per episode shows and not be set back a lot, would you still not get them? All this is is penny pinching. You aren't putting a "real" value per episode, you're trying to get the most for less because of budget constraints. I don't have a budget, Alan45 doesn't have a strict budget, Sailor S has a very sad wallet, and what do we all have in common according to this thread? We believe dollar per episode doesn't matter, dollar per dollar and quality/desire of the show does.

Quote:
I'd run out of stuff to watch.

There's 40+ years of anime, with the last ten alone having ~110 per year, I don't believe that to be a real concern. Even if you stick strictly to shows released on DVD, I highly doubt you'll wake up one day going "Welp, I own and have seen everything I've ever wanted to". I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's highly improbable. Personally, I find something new almost everyday. Just the other day I became interested in Starship Girl Yamamoto.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
After spending nearly $300 on acquiring Kimagure Orange Road a couple years ago, my average spending per episode topped out at just over $6. I'll spend a little more than average on acquiring the occasional OOP anime title, but not to the point where I would buy an import from Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I am curious, why did you buy what looks like 9 copies of the same show?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:08 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I am curious, why did you buy what looks like 9 copies of the same show?

4 copies.

Japanese LE Blu-Ray because I was afraid it wouldn't get picked up. 1 copy of the US LE for myself. 2 copies for friends.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
I voted $5 per episode, though I will try to get shows cheaper when possible.

I do sometimes find this way of thinking useful, as in "I got Cowboy Bebop for $1.04 per episode and they want me to pay $3 per episode for ____, is ____ really 3 times as good as Cowboy Bebop?". Those of you who want to shriek at me that this is wrong, wrong, wrong, save your breath. It's my money, I can use any criteria I want when deciding how to spend it. This is not to say I'll buy anything if it's cheap-crap is crap regardless.

Of course, I do take various other factors into account such as:

Packaging. Comparing singles+artbox to a thinpak/stackpak/litebox is useless as the former will always cost more (yes, I know I'm stating the obvious here). I could say I paid $18.75 per episode for Puella Magi Madoka Magica ($75/4) but that is not accurate as it does not take into account the value of the overall package (particularly since it includes a soundtrack CD which has its own value).

Length. There are exceptions, but I have found most of the time that the longer a show is the lower the per-episode cost, especially when buying season sets or multi-season sets (like the set of the first 3 seasons of Slayers that FUNimation put out that I got for $27.99 or $0.36 per episode).

I also usually expect movies to cost more than OVAs which cost more than TV shows.

My most expensive per-episode purchase was a used copy of BAOH for about $54 for one 45 minute episode.
Annf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
I think the highest I've paid is for Strike Witches 2, at 6,453 yen per two-episode disc, so that's 3271.5 yen/episode, or US$41.74/episode at the current exchange rate.

Guess I pick "I have no limit."

I just realized I was thinking only about TV shows for some reason.
If we count OVAs, it's at least double that, since I know Koe de Oshigoto! was the same 6,453/disc at Amazon.jp, and that's only one episode rather than two. So $83.48/episode.
moonie92

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Quote:
I'd run out of stuff to watch.

There's 40+ years of anime, with the last ten alone having ~110 per year, I don't believe that to be a real concern. Even if you stick strictly to shows released on DVD, I highly doubt you'll wake up one day going "Welp, I own and have seen everything I've ever wanted to". I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's highly improbable. Personally, I find something new almost everyday. Just the other day I became interested in Starship Girl Yamamoto.

I mean I wouldn't have another DVD to watch. My streaming capabilities are spotty at best, so I depend on having a physical copy to watch. If I bought too many high dollar shows I would literally be without anything new to watch. Now I have a crazy backlog, so I can afford to do it now, but when I was just starting out, it wasn't feasible. I hope this makes since.
manicli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
It really depends because some shows are just EPIC and Amazing and I wouldn't mind spending a lot of them (hundreds). But others, I'm usually more budget concious with. Most of the time I wouldn't spend more than 4 bucks per episode.
The Lost Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
I feel robbed when I pay $5 per episode, but I do it anyway Crying or Very sad
Ringking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:01 am Reply with quote
I operate on the idea that 'I would rather spend money and have the item, than wish I had the item while retaining the money, because I know if I have spare only lying around then im just going to blow it on some other junk anyways'.

I've payed $100 + for OOP singles before, so uhhhh, yeah, no limit lol.
darknessblades

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Poll by moonie92.

I'm on "Less than 75 cents" since I only watch streamed or fansubbed anime.

i totaly agree

why waste money to buy if you can watch it online
[/b]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
No limit in regards to money. What decides whether I buy it is how much I liked it.
stardf29

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I have no definitive limit. It depends on how good the show is. For most shows that I really like, I'll probably keep to a $5/episode limit (that will encompass, among other things, an NISA premium edition after discount). For shows I'm not that much into, I'll probably go for something at about half that price.

And then, there's the select shows that I really get into and am willing to sacrifice my wallet in all sorts of crazy ways. Most notable is Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita/Humanity Has Declined, a personal favorite that has become my first Japanese import, at about $45 an episode... and that's on top of planning to buy the American release when that comes out! For other shows I may go to other lengths, such as importing Taiwan releases (not nearly as bad as Japanese imports, but still about $8 an episode, and I usually plan to buy the US release as well) or, in some cases, buying alternate material like manga or novels in addition to the show in question.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2