• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kiddy Grade Spinoff Kiddy Girl-and Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Update 2: Voice actress Aya Hirano had announced in late 2006 that a second Kiddy Grade anime was in the works, but at the time, it would have focused on the original two main characters — Eclaire and Lumiere — after the events of the first series. In 2007, the official website had announced that asread would produce the second series, instead of Gonzo (the anime studio for the first series) or Satelight.

It was never going to be about Eclair and Lumiere - Aya's announcement did not specify much, the bulk of the news came from the first Newtype article which named the new characters. As I wrote at the time the translated article was printed in NTUSA:
Quote:
The KG2 article from the February issue of NT was published in the April issue of NTUSA.
If they are to be believed, the girl's names are "Ascule" and "Que Feuilles" but since these don't seem to make much sense I'm holding out for official confirmation.

What they say:

Sometime after a giant intergalactic scuffle that would've destroyed the entire universe were it not for the courage of ES Force members Éclair and Lumière, new signs of chaos are beginning to emerge

"The overall setting will remamin the same," says show director Keiji Gotoh, stressing that there will be considerable continuity between the two series. "We haven't decided exactly how many years apart the two shows will be, but the new series will definitely be a true sequel, so expect to see some familiar faces from the ES Force. We're also planning a few very interesting opportunities for cooperation between the old and new characters."

It as asread who animated the pilot DVD.

NegativeZero wrote:
After Kiddy Grade, Megumi Kadonosono and Keiji Gotoh (the creative team behind it) left Gonzo to start their own studio, gimik.

Megumi, Gotoh (and Kimura) were never 'with' Gonzo to leave them, were already known as gímik (it's in the credits and printed on the DVDs) and are not a studio

Quote:
I'm quite happy to see the production studio change. KG2 was originally announced to be animated by Asread, who did (absolutely terrible) animation production for the second and third Minami-ke

Other than the CG.. dinosaur thing in the first episode they did a very good job with Ga-rei however.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
You're kidding me right? You mean to tell me that I waited 2007 and 2008 just to get to what would be 2009 and we get this?

word, dude.

But seriously, KG helped me get into anime, so even though it has its faults I've always been a fan. The character designs for Ascure and Que Feuilles (who has the sickest name) looked good. But now we're getting a spin-off instead of a sequel...and perhaps it's too early to judge, but looking at the cover and the overt fluffy gay overtones (granted, they were there in season 1 but the whole darn season wasn't about that) it's going to be NONSENSE.

If I am proven wrong, I will be thrilled.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
While I thought Kiddy Grade was more of a 'meh' series overall, I was interested in Kiddy Grade 2. With any luck this will improve greatly on the first...assuming it actually comes out.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
And what's with the title?
I just found out after posting.
'Kiddy Girl and-' ....and what? Pandering? Cheetos? Cheerios?

Should I now expect Yotsuba to show up? It's a bit too far in the future for her, though...

Quote:
The title just hooked me buy the jaw.

Does that mean that it was broken and you needed a replacement? ^_^
Axe-336

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:42 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
FWIW, if you say "Kiddy Girl-and" fast it comes out "Kiddy Girl Land" Smile .

The doctor from Excel Saga would be thrilled Wink

I enjoyed the original, but my main question is..... Will the panty shot ratio increase or decrease?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:22 am Reply with quote
Gotoh's blog has been updated:

キディ・ガーランド

Don't think there's anything there we don't already know from the official site.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mastertr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quote
Personally, I am thrilled. I loved Kiddy Grade's first series, it is one of the few 24 episode shows that I liked enough to finish in less than a week. It's always going to be one of my all time favorites. I've seen the 8 minute pilot for KG2, and I've been waiting anxiously for the actual series for quite some time now. Even if this is what the second series has become and the original idea was scrapped, I'm extremely happy. The more Kiddy Grade, the better.

I'd love it if Funimation licensed the movies. I know they are mostly just a recap, but it's Kiddy Grade and as much of a fan as I am of the show (my laptop bag is a Kiddy Grade messenger bag >_>), I'd definitely buy them. I've had all 3 burned to DVD for some time now, but would love to swap them out for an R1 release =P.

And the comment about Uta~Kata, I'd love to see that licensed too ^^
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:
Have they canceled plans for KG2 or did the project just turned into this?

I was wondering about that same thing. What happened to KG2 anyways????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Nothing happened to KG2, these are the same characters we've been seeing since day one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm assumming that this is the actual real thing on which the piolet eventually became,like with the 1987 little nemo piolet which eventually became the 1992 little nemo movie.

so i'm assuming this is the final product of Kiddy Grade 2 Very Happy

but other than that,I hope this spinoff is'nt anything like that god awful Mai Otomi which in my opinion was a poor spinoff to the far superior Mai Hime.
rg4619

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Nothing happened to KG2, these are the same characters we've been seeing since day one.

Conceptually, the idea may have been reworked for this project.

However, the original Kiddy Grade 2 production (and initial plan) was clearly canceled.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

Not quite. According to the Animenation Anime News Blog the're using other chatacters. Unless they have any relation to eclair and luminere,it's going to set off a lot of KG fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:

Not quite. According to the Animenation Anime News Blog the're using other chatacters. Unless they have any relation to eclair and luminere,it's going to set off a lot of KG fans.

Based upon earlier discussions here (or elsewhere), you're misinterpreting what you've quoted. What's being stated is that these characters were always going to be the main characters of Kiddy Grade 2, not that they are the same characters since day one of all KG animation. Since the first information came out about the sequel, we have not been expecting Eclair and Lumiere to be the main characters (although I presume that they'll appear at some point even if we don't recognize them).
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:

Kiddy Grade 2 never was supposed to focus on Eclair and Lumiere...<_<

These are obviously the two leads we've seen since the teaser, I'm not really seeing why there's this failure of a leap in logic between connecting Kiddy Grade 2 to "Kiddy Grade Sequel with a Real Subtitle."

Who ever said the exact same show had to be named Kiddy Grade 2? I'm just not seeing any difference between this and the earlier information that leads me to conclude anything other than her hair is different.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Some more information on the manga is now forthcoming, along with some artwork:

http://www.kiddygrade.com/info/
http://mekapen.blog116.fc2.com/blog-entry-64.html

Story is by Hidefumi Kimura
and artwork is by yukari Higa.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4