• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Oh My Goddess! GN 31

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
Is Oh My Goddess still be published in Dark Horse? I thought the series concluded a long time ago? It's been a long time since I seen any new volume of Oh My Goddess.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Is Oh My Goddess still be published in Dark Horse? I thought the series concluded a long time ago? It's been a long time since I seen any new volume of Oh My Goddess.
OMG is DH's longest running manga, and as far as I know Fujishima is still pumping them out in Japan. I fully agree with the critique. This is one of my first mangas I've ever read and it's showing it's age. Fujishima has other fish to fry now and he's just stringing this one along with minimal concentration and effort. It's like he's lost interest. According to DH, Vol. 32 is due out in late April, and it's off to the beach again. Expect the usual delays and look toward June at best. Rolling Eyes
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
OMG is DH's longest running manga, and as far as I know Fujishima is still pumping them out in Japan. I fully agree with the critique. This is one of my first mangas I've ever read and it's showing it's age. Fujishima has other fish to fry now and he's just stringing this one along with minimal concentration and effort. It's like he's lost interest. According to DH, Vol. 32 is due out in late April, and it's off to the beach again. Expect the usual delays and look toward June at best. :roll:

If the author has lost interest, then a third season is out of the question completely. I'll admit, I enjoyed Your Under Arrest slightly more, but Oh My Goddess is still a one of kind show to me. Did Dark Horse ever license Your Under Arrest? I can't seem to find the manga anywhere. Still, I hope the manga has a well done conclusion.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Mohawk52"]
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Is Oh My Goddess still be published in Dark Horse?

Actually it's the longest running manga series period. Just wanted to throw that out there. There's a few volumes that are already done that still need to be translated and brought over so we've all got at least a handful more coming. Despite this title being special to me and my favorite manga title period I will say it's age is starting to show. Fujishima just doesn't seem to bring as much passion and interest to the series anymore. I think after the battle with Lind where we see both her angels things have started tapering off. Which is a shame I think because there's still a lot Fujishima could do with the series. If it is coming to its inevitable end I just hope he gives it a fitting ending with some sort of finality to it. Like what Ao Yori Aoishi had....a real ending. As for this volume while it may be more like the early days in the series the jokes and gags don't seem to have the same timing. They just fall short sometimes in this volume and don't work as well as they should. I personally enjoyed the more slice of life volumes the most myself but in the past the gags and romantic pranks always worked better. Hopefully upcoming volumes won't continue this trend.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Actually it's the longest running manga series period.

I hope you're prepared to back that up or clarify, because I was under the distinct impression that Golgo-13 has been going on waaaaay longer (since 1968).
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Did Dark Horse ever license Your Under Arrest? I can't seem to find the manga anywhere.

They did, waaaay back in the mid-90s when Animeigo originally released the OAV series. They only released 8 issues (in regular comic book format) and I'm not sure if they were ever collected. That's all that's been made available in English, which is kind of strange....considering how long-lived OMG! has proved to be, you'd figure Dark Horse would have given YUA! another shot sooner or later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Did Dark Horse ever license Your Under Arrest? I can't seem to find the manga anywhere.

They did, waaaay back in the mid-90s when Animeigo originally released the OAV series. They only released 8 issues (in regular comic book format) and I'm not sure if they were ever collected. That's all that's been made available in English, which is kind of strange....considering how long-lived OMG! has proved to be, you'd figure Dark Horse would have given YUA! another shot sooner or later.
How many volumes are there? DH has 10 listed.
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
jgreen wrote:
How many volumes are there? DH has 10 listed.

Are you talking about these 10? That's just a listing of the 8 comic book issues I mentioned, plus two trades collecting those 8 issues (which I guess answers my question as to whether they were collected or not). ANN's encyclopedia lists 7 volumes in Japan so there's a lot that American audiences have never seen. (If Wikipedia is to be believed, the stories that Dark Horse reprinted were from vol. 6 and 7 of the Japanese release.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

I hope you're prepared to back that up or clarify, because I was under the distinct impression that Golgo-13 has been going on waaaaay longer (since 1968).

I would assume Psycho meant "in English".
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

I would assume Psycho meant "in English".

Yeah, that would make sense.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:55 am Reply with quote
I figured that was apparent so I didn't bother to say it. But yes, it is the longest running serialized manga...in English.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
For those who don't follow current manga, Fujishima-sensei is still cranking out chapters every month. For a while, it seemed like he was doing a farewell tour but he's actually started a story arc that is actually pretty interesting.

Also, Fujishima-sensei has a new monthly manga out called Paradise Residence (first chapter reviewed here). I know the 2nd chapter has been released and I'm guessing chapter 3 comes out soon.

Regarding You're Under Arrest, supposedly, Fujishima-sensei would not allow DH to license more than the final two volumes of the manga. According to what I've read, Fujishima-sensei doesn't like how the earlier volumes look art-wise and so refuses to let them be licensed outside of Japan. Whether that's true or not, I don't know but I think it is true.

Anyway, before the current story arc, Ah! My Goddess was something I read simply because I have so much time already invested in the series that I'm in for the long haul. That said, the manga has long been suffering from uninspired writing. I think that Fujishima-sensei wanted to leave the series years ago and for whatever reason, has not been allowed to do so (or rather, had been talked into continuing the series). We'll see what happens at the end of the current story arc but it wouldn't surprise me if Fujishima-sensei ended things this year, especially now that he has a new manga to work on (even if it is only 8-pages per chapter so far).
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:

That's all that's been made available in English, which is kind of strange....considering how long-lived OMG! has proved to be, you'd figure Dark Horse would have given YUA! another shot sooner or later.

DH charged too much for stuff back then so it was little wonder it couldn't sell well enough. I pitched 3X3 Eyes to everyone & one guy complained why should he buy that for $18 when he could get 2 or 3 Viz for the same amount of money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1