• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Whiplash

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoandSo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
*hears disclaimer*

Goddamint, I knew it. Laughing And this is crazy.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Requesting full version of this weeks disclaimer. This is better than what I hear on the radio these days.
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I want like a CD of all the disclaimer songs. also that Halloween one, that one was awesome.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
SoandSo wrote:
*hears disclaimer*

Goddamint, I knew it. Laughing And this is crazy.

Let a cartoon character pro show him.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
I wonder how Courtney feels about Anita Sarkeesian's proud and dignified armchair activist crusade of Tropes VS Women.... is this what she thinks women need in the video game culture?
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
I would buy tickets to see Zac in concert.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
Really great discussion, I think there needs to be a balance between Laura Croft big boobed cartoon woman and the Tabula Rasa type thing of just insert yourself into a character and the character just happens to have boobs. Do I know what that balance actually is? No, I think something like Uncharted females are generally good examples though. I am also intrigued by Valkyrie Chronicles though I have only played two levels.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
I was thirty minutes before the end of the podcast before I switched it off.

The video game section was too Western. I would LOVE to hear a gender dissection of games, but all I heard was Bioware, Mass Effect, Lara Croft. To me these games are out of the 'anime aesthetic'. Where are the JRPGs and the sexual politics of dating sims and otome games?

Where is Final Fantasy XIII and the awkward gender neutrality of Amaterasu from Okami? I actually enjoyed the interview with the Otakon guy a lot more than the video game section, which is awkward because I don't live anywhere near Otakon's location.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
I was thirty minutes before the end of the podcast before I switched it off.

The video game section was too Western. I would LOVE to hear a gender dissection of games, but all I heard was Bioware, Mass Effect, Lara Croft. To me these games are out of the 'anime aesthetic'. Where are the JRPGs and the sexual politics of dating sims and otome games?

Where is Final Fantasy XIII and the awkward gender neutrality of Amaterasu from Okami? I actually enjoyed the interview with the Otakon guy a lot more than the video game section, which is awkward because I don't live anywhere near Otakon's location.

I'm about 30 minutes from the end and they're now talking about Japanese games. Wink
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
Damn now I have to load it all over again. Oh well maybe later.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
"Anything a man can do a woman can do"

Let's just go ahead and get it out of the way as mentioned: men are stronger than women by default. Exceptions to the rule and yadda yadda, but it's truth in reality. Only about 3% of all firefighters in the US are female; because most women can not pass the physical requirement it takes to be one (carrying equipment/people/strength to break down walls and doors, etc) That's not really sexism so much as basic biology. That's what testosterone is for.

Though I find the "girls are all healers" statement a bit flawed. In JRPGs you usually get females of various classes and types. She left out Rikku and Paine from the X series who were physical fighters. Tifa and Yuffie were the physical fighters in 7, while Aerith was the mage. Tales as well. Vesperia had Rita as a mage, Judith and Patty as warriors, and Estelle as some weird hybrid of mage/warrior (battle priest). Eternia has Farrah and Chat as warriors, and Meredy as the mage. In terms of Persona, it's weird since they're all mages, but if she wants to say Yukiko is the 'healer/mage', then that would mean Chie and Naoto make up the physical fighters. Mitsuru and Aegis were physical fighters as well in Persona 3, while Yukari was a 'mage' I guess. I find JRPGs to be very diverse and varied.

For more 'truth in reality' experience, every guild in every MMO I've played to date (which is quite a lot, dating back to original Everquest) had most of the female members (actual females, not guys playing female characters) as casters and healers. Girls playing melee DPS was virtually unseen.

[Removed. You've been warned about soapboxing on your "East > West" crap and turning every thread in to "This is why Titan hates the west" threads.]
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
Ironically, there was just a thread about the topic of women and video games on another forum I haunt.

Hopefully this one doesn't get locked after a few obvious bigots try to explain why women aren't as persecuted as they think they are, or some mess.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
Zac, it appears you gave the Cookie Monster a run for his money in terms of covers of the Call Me Maybe song. Very Happy

I really enjoyed this week's episode. Heading to Otakon on Saturday (I've been doing one-day trips the past few years after the old fart in me started manifesting by day two) but from what Jim's saying, next year sounds like it'll be awesome, so maybe I'll go the whole time. Very Happy

The interview with the two guests from G4 was also great. I was happy they included Japanese games and JRPGs in the discussion, as I still tend to lean towards JRPGs (but Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Skyrim were fun and have definitely warmed me up to WRPGs). There's been a lot of fire recently around treatment of female gamers (and apparently female nerds in general, if the backlash towards that CNN article Joe Peacock wrote is any indication). For me, I just want to enjoy the games, I don't really care about the gender of the people I play against and I feel like if they're busy worrying about my gender, they are probably missing the point.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
For more 'truth in reality' experience, every guild in every MMO I've played to date (which is quite a lot, dating back to original Everquest) had most of the female members (actual females, not guys playing female characters) as casters and healers. Girls playing melee DPS was virtually unseen.

Meh, the 2 women that I play with in my WoW guild are a bear tank/kitty dps and a Fury/Prot warrior. And even in previous guilds before my current one it was a pretty good mix between melee vs caster for the female players.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:01 am Reply with quote
Druids seems to be the exception I've seen, probably because they can off-spec tank out of their tree/chicken form and they like animals.

tasogarenootome wrote:
There's been a lot of fire recently around treatment of female gamers (and apparently female nerds in general, if the backlash towards that CNN article Joe Peacock wrote is any indication). For me, I just want to enjoy the games, I don't really care about the gender of the people I play against and I feel like if they're busy worrying about my gender, they are probably missing the point.

If it's the article I'm thinking of, to be fair, he's right. A lot of women have noticed an easy way to make money off of the male nerd. The whole "girl gamer" stereotypes and the like Look at all the big female gamers on YouTube (or girls in general on YouTube for that matter). No names, but they tend to be very.. uncreative and boring, and only get recognition because of their gender and bodies. One girl literally just reads the WoW patch notes (something any actual WoW player would have done a week ago when they were released) in a low cut shirt and that's effectively her entire video output.. and she gets the same money and subscribers as a guy who makes machinimas, let's plays, and in-depth reviews and commentaries. You know, actual work. Of course the average 12 year old is just there for fap fodder, but some older gamers tend to get annoyed at this behavior and see through their charade. A few bad apples spoil the whole bunch I suppose. It's a very exploitative industry and everyone seems to want to do it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14