• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sex of ANN Users

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Is Your Sex
Female
30%
 30%  [ 66 ]
Male
66%
 66%  [ 145 ]
Other
3%
 3%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 218

Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Since one of the luxuries of my subscription is that I get to make polls, I thought that I might as well start availing myself of that to satisfy my curiosity.

I am making this poll as a companion to the poll on the average age of ANN forum users. Just as that poll suggests that the forum users might be older than the general readership, I suspect that the forum users might exhibit a less lopsided gender balance.

I'm including 'other' as the only option besides male and female; I realize that question is probably more complex than that, but it's beyond my understanding for the time being.

"Yes, please," is not an poll option because if you would have chosen that, I probably hate you.

I am pretty straightforwardly male. It's almost boring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I'd definitely pick "Yes please". Laughing

Heck, that was included in my very first introduction here. Before it was cool.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Why not use "gender" instead?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I voted female because I always dreamed of being a little girl ever since I began watching anime. Embarassed

I kid, I voted male.
Masakaki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Masakaki on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:26 am; edited 3 times in total
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I just found the perfect song to represent this poll.

http://youtu.be/AO43p2Wqc08

Enjoy. Oh man, I love this song.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
@ egoist

That makes my eyes hurt. It is almost enough to make me check other just to disassociate my self.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Sadly regardless of gender or gender identity, most of us has a current physical delineation that puts us in one of the two poll choices. I realize that, as well as greatly appreciate ANN official polls using "which gender do you identify as" and I'm guessing you had something to do with that dormcat, rather than ANN simply asking the same question as this poll. If so dormcat, thank you again, if not I thank whoever implemented that.

It really is a more thorough way to ask the question, since gender conforming types will simply pick the gender associated with their sex, and non-conforming types can pick whichever they feel most comfortable picking. The option "other" does not quite adequately resonate with either of those groups (that's not so say no one will pick it for reasons other than being snarky). Luckily there's also the 4th option: not voting. I abstain from voting Twisted Evil
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Masakaki wrote:
Now... Let's see who will vote Other... Shocked

I'm quite confident that you say this without malice or hate, but this reflects a problematical attitude. The attitude of your posts implies that there is something deviant, freakish or otherwise wrong with identifying as something as either of the conventional categories. Besides that simply not being so, this attitude and the way that it reinforces social expectations about roles causes harm and damage to quality of life for those who don't identify as male or female.

dormcat wrote:

I vacillated over the choice of word for a while, but ultimately felt that the community would find its way toward an reasonable interpretation of the question regardless of what I used, so it came down to a coin toss I worried that agonizing conspicuously over it would amount to some kind of distasteful, ostentatious, ultimately self-serving display of progressiveness that was ultimately condescending.

Having seen the way that the discussion has played out makes me regret this a little and am tempted to just plead, in the words of so many characters from 30Rock, "shut it down. Shut it down."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Masakaki wrote:
Now... Let's see who will vote Other... Shocked

I'm quite confident that you say this without malice or hate, but this reflects a problematical attitude. The attitude of your posts implies that there is something deviant, freakish or otherwise wrong with identifying as something as either of the conventional categories. Besides that simply not being so, this attitude and the way that it reinforces social expectations about roles causes harm and damage to quality of life for those who don't identify as male or female.
But "other" does nothing to capture the sense of consideration for non-gender conforming folk for the purpose of not making them feel like deviants and outcasts either. The poll question asks for (biological) sex, the only people who would answer "other" are sarcastic cynics and people legitimately classified as intersex. Sure that second group naturally deserves acceptance and recognition as well, but I see a slight "problematic attitude," or maybe as you said lack of understanding, in your third option also.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
So complicated. Perhaps a poll like this....?

Poll question: What's your sexual preference?

a) I like men.
b) I like women.
c) I like both.
d) I like none.

Can't go wrong.
Takokujin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
Male.

Yes, I like sex.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:32 am Reply with quote
Female. I like sex too.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:48 am Reply with quote
People are trying to make this way too complicated. It's a pretty simple question really.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:40 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
If so dormcat, thank you again, if not I thank whoever implemented that.

Afraid not. Anime smile + sweatdrop

For biological sex that's not switchable (at least with current biotechnology) I'd just ask the pairing of the 23rd chromosome instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8