• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Will you be buying Aniplex's Fate/Zero Blu-Ray Limited Edition?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

To buy or not to buy...
Yes, and the cost is no problem
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Yes, but I had to sacrifice other things to afford it
9%
 9%  [ 7 ]
No, and I'm not interested in the show anyway.
31%
 31%  [ 23 ]
No, I'd like to own the show but this release is just too expensive for whatever reason.
52%
 52%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 72

st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Inspired by this thread in the retail forum. I thought it'd be fun to attach a poll to it. So, will you or will you not be buying Fate/Zero and why? I personally won't. I'm not interested in the series, and even if I were, there's no way in hell I could afford it.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I liked the show but I say I wouldn't pay more than AU$90. It isn't good enough to deserve any more than that. $700 is downright bizarre for a show of its quality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I choose option number 4. As I said in the other thread, I'm reasonably confident that we will get a cheaper R1 release at some point in the future. I'm getting pretty good at waiting for prices to drop. That's one advantage of having an insane backlog of unwatched stuff.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
$700???!!!

Are you f---ing kidding me???!!!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
So, nbahn, I guess we can put you down as, "Yes, and the cost is no problem"? Wink
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood---
It is because of crap like this that fansubbing is so prevalent!
archaron

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
A show at $700 dollars is well outside my spending price range. Even if I could afford it, I would never spend that on a show. At the end of the day my anime and manga collections are just a hobby and spending $700 on Fate/Zero LE would bring things to a problematic crescendo.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for supporting the industry and I buy the shows I like; but seriously, even if I was a huge fan and this was my favorite show of all time I wouldn't even consider dropping $700 on it. I wouldn't even spend in to the triple digits on it. That is just too much to ask for this kind of thing, I don't care how much of a limited or special edition it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Would love to own it. Can't afford it.
lem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I pre-ordered it as soon as each was available on TRSI.

I saw it as a challenge. I had a big dental bill to pay off this year but my insurance only covered a portion of it. So that managed to carve out a "Rider's chariot" size bite out of my wasteful spending budget (the $ I blow on blu-ray)

But once I decided to have both sets as part of my collection it was easy to work the 270 hours OT for the first 7- 8 months of this year that I volunteered for. Other decisions like bike commuting every day instead of "when I felt like it, or "only when the weather was nice" also came about. In short, I needed to afford it. It turned out to be a jump start of sorts for some good changes.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Let's put that price tag in perspective. For this price of a single anime I could instead buy a bluray player and HD TV, a new laptop, a Wii U and 8 new games, or 70 manga volumes. Even if I could afford $700 (which I absolutely could not do for a very long time) and completely adored Fate/Zero (which I don't because I haven't seen it), I would never spend that much on a single anime. I would buy any of the things I listed over it or any other anime any day.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:15 am Reply with quote
So far, half of the voters don't want it and the other half don't want it at the price. Well, Aniplex just needs a small number of people who want it bad to justify the costs.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
I'd buy if I knew Customs wouldn't charge me another $200 for it.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
Let's put that price tag in perspective. For this price of a single anime I could instead buy a bluray player and HD TV, a new laptop, a Wii U and 8 new games, or 70 manga volumes. Even if I could afford $700 (which I absolutely could not do for a very long time) and completely adored Fate/Zero (which I don't because I haven't seen it), I would never spend that much on a single anime. I would buy any of the things I listed over it or any other anime any day.

No kidding. Even if I did have that kind of spare cash lying around, that is the other factor. When I look at everything else I could grab for that kind of cash it is simply not worthwhile. I've wanted to get a really nice camera for awhile, and while $700 wouldn't quite get me there it would cover over half the cost. I could get some much needed furniture with that, or grab every game off my Steam wishlist 5 times over, or get some new tools, or finish redoing the office in the house, and so on.

Compared to so many other things I could get for $700, the content per dollar ratio of this release is abysmal by comparison and there is no way, absolutely none whatsoever, that producing these releases even comes close to costing the company that much money, even accounting for the import aspect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
SereneChaos wrote:

No kidding. Even if I did have that kind of spare cash lying around, that is the other factor. When I look at everything else I could grab for that kind of cash it is simply not worthwhile. I've wanted to get a really nice camera for awhile, and while $700 wouldn't quite get me there it would cover over half the cost. I could get some much needed furniture with that, or grab every game off my Steam wishlist 5 times over, or get some new tools, or finish redoing the office in the house, and so on.

Compared to so many other things I could get for $700, the content per dollar ratio of this release is abysmal by comparison and there is no way, absolutely none whatsoever, that producing these releases even comes close to costing the company that much money, even accounting for the import aspect.

And let us not forget that that this thing does not even come with an English dub! Rolling Eyes Anime dazed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2