Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Streams Code Geass to Canada


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kaioshin_Sama



Joined: 05 Feb 2005
Posts: 844

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
Does anyone find that watermark incredibly distracting and intrusive? Same goes for the subs which for some reason are surrounded by a black block instead of it being transparent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fighterholic



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Posts: 9193

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:05 am Reply with quote
Obviously they were getting a lot complaints about that. Here and over there on Youtube. Nice to know that they fixed that. Does that mean they had to re-upload their episodes or what?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 10214

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:44 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Does anyone find that watermark incredibly distracting and intrusive? Same goes for the subs which for some reason are surrounded by a black block instead of it being transparent.


That's like the ol' CC (Closed Captions) subtitles.
And does the watermark outweigh being free? Laughing


fighterholic wrote:
Obviously they were getting a lot complaints about that. Here and over there on Youtube. Nice to know that they fixed that. Does that mean they had to re-upload their episodes or what?


I thought that's just changing the Youtube setting behind the videos?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Unit 03.5-ish



Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 1540
Location: This space for rent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:55 am Reply with quote
Well, now Bandit Keith will be able to see this show (he's actually Canadian y'know). But seriously, this is good news for my brothers up north, since it is a bit silly to region-lock streaming...oh, whatever, one day they'll probably actually figure this YouTube thing out.

But aren't the Haruhi-chan minisodes (I wish there was a better term than that) internationally streaming? Then what was the hold-up with Geass?

EDIT: Oh, and speaking of distracting things...if I ever watch Geass (which I may one day...but the last edition of Gurren Lagann comes out this month...heh heh), the only, and I mean ONLY reason I'm interested is the walking fan service Karin. Seriously.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime
hikaru004



Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Posts: 2302

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:09 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Obviously they were getting a lot complaints about that. Here and over there on Youtube. Nice to know that they fixed that. Does that mean they had to re-upload their episodes or what?


Don't know. It's prob some code that YouTube changes on the backend of their channel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConanSan



Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 1818

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
Oh Hi, Bandai, still seams you don't care If I, being a brit and hence having evil dirty limey money, watch the fansubs of Geass?

You don't

Your swell!

I'll send you a nice present, the same one I'm sending Toei US.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doctordoom85



Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 1631

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Oh Hi, Bandai, still seams you don't care If I, being a brit and hence having evil dirty limey money, watch the fansubs of Geass?


Bandai "supports the rebellion". Wink

(note: I'm assuming you've seen Code Geass, otherwise the joke won't make sense)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mewtwo



Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 63

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the whole region-locking thing is because of the terms of their licensing agreement.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fighterholic



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Posts: 9193

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
mewtwo wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the whole region-locking thing is because of the terms of their licensing agreement.

Uhh, yeah. That's probably going to continue to be an issue, since it's locked out for countries outside of North America. Take for example all of the series that they have on ANN. Nobody outside of North America is able to watch them at all due to region locking through licensing agreements that ANN has with the companies that are allowing their series to be shown on this site. When I took my trip to Japan in January, sure enough I was not able to view any of the series that they have.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Top Gun



Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 1793

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Oh Hi, Bandai, still seams you don't care If I, being a brit and hence having evil dirty limey money, watch the fansubs of Geass?

You don't

Your swell!

I'll send you a nice present, the same one I'm sending Toei US.

If you can hand Bandai Entertainment the R2 distribution rights to the series on a silver platter, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to stream it for you.

Go on. We're waiting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConanSan



Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 1818

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Oh Hi, Bandai, still seams you don't care If I, being a brit and hence having evil dirty limey money, watch the fansubs of Geass?

You don't

Your swell!

I'll send you a nice present, the same one I'm sending Toei US.

If you can hand Bandai Entertainment the R2 distribution rights to the series on a silver platter, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to stream it for you.

Go on. We're waiting.
That's not my bloody job, it's theres.

But whatever, I'm not going to tear myself a new asshole just to do what I have always been doing, which is watch this show for nothing. Just because the way I do it is Illegal doesn't make me feel one way or another.

doctordoom85 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Oh Hi, Bandai, still seams you don't care If I, being a brit and hence having evil dirty limey money, watch the fansubs of Geass?


Bandai "supports the rebellion". Wink

(note: I'm assuming you've seen Code Geass, otherwise the joke won't make sense)

Them Elevens are going to get a very nasty suprise one of these old days.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Top Gun



Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 1793

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Oh Hi, Bandai, still seams you don't care If I, being a brit and hence having evil dirty limey money, watch the fansubs of Geass?

You don't

Your swell!

I'll send you a nice present, the same one I'm sending Toei US.

If you can hand Bandai Entertainment the R2 distribution rights to the series on a silver platter, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to stream it for you.

Go on. We're waiting.
That's not my bloody job, it's theres.

But whatever, I'm not going to tear myself a new not-so-nice-person just to do what I have always been doing, which is watch this show for nothing. Just because the way I do it is Illegal doesn't make me feel one way or another.

Yes, it's totally the job of an R1 company based in the United States to obtain the distribution rights for a region where it has no interest or financial gain in distributing the show. Yup, makes perfect sense to me.

And for the umpteenth time, if you're just going to go ahead and watch it anyway, then please do so, and quit the repetitive and useless whining.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ikillchicken
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 6861
Location: Vancouver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:18 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Yes, it's totally the job of an R1 company based in the United States to obtain the distribution rights for a region where it has no interest or financial gain in distributing the show. Yup, makes perfect sense to me.

And for the umpteenth time, if you're just going to go ahead and watch it anyway, then please do so, and quit the repetitive and useless whining.


Exactly. Bandai Entertainment is a R1 distributor. They hold the license to distribute CG in the US and Canada. They have no right to distribute it in the UK.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Zin5ki



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 3478
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:53 am Reply with quote
Might I note that much like Bandai Entertainment, Funimation does not licence its shows outside R1, instead sublicensing them to other companies.
Funimation however does stream its shows to countries outside R1, regardless of their availability within such areas. This suggests that an R1 company does not necessarily have to region lock.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish



Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 1540
Location: This space for rent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:04 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Might I note that much like Bandai Entertainment, Funimation does not licence its shows outside R1, instead sublicensing them to other companies.
Funimation however does stream its shows to countries outside R1, regardless of their availability within such areas. This suggests that an R1 company does not necessarily have to region lock.


Hey, you blokes still have ADV UK! Right?


...ah hell, that's not much consolation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group