• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Study of Modern Social Homogeneity

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naushika

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quote
Great reviews, as always. I will definitely check out Genshiken. I'm currently lovin' the manga! Very Happy

On a separate note, hasn't Sakura Diaries already been released on DVD? I know its been around for awhile... Are there usually reviews on re-releases?
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:43 am Reply with quote
Hahaha! Genshiken prevails again. Kick ass. I also really recommend getting it. Still waiting for the last volume... just a couple more weeks.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:20 am Reply with quote
Besides over-the-top gore, are Gantz and Elfen Lied really similar? I haven't seen Gantz yet, but I've heard some people take offense to it being compared to the latter and probably vice-versa. I've heard a lot of negative things about Gantz due to the intolerably stupid characters but that's actually gotten me interested enough to want to pick up the series to see if they really are that bad Laughing. Both Elfen Lied and Gantz seem to be love'em or hate'em series so I hope that if I have enough money to spend on the Gantz season 1 box set, my money will not be wasted.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:28 am Reply with quote
"Betty Kuraka?" Ohmigod, that's BRILLIANT. I think I'm changing the name of my book of memoires from "Rendezvous with Ramen" to "Cooking with Betty Kuraka."

Reason #3384 why you're a professional reviewer and I'm not. Nicely done, Bamboo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:15 am Reply with quote
naushika wrote:
Great reviews, as always. I will definitely check out Genshiken. I'm currently lovin' the manga! Very Happy

On a separate note, hasn't Sakura Diaries already been released on DVD? I know its been around for awhile... Are there usually reviews on re-releases?

This is the third release. The first release was missing some of the content. The second release (collectors edition) had all of the content and better transfer quality but was sub-only. This version apparently has all the content and a new dub to go along with it, IIRC. However, (in all cases) the anime itself was finished before the manga ended and so the anime ending might leave something to be desired. I enjoyed this series, but I ended up selling my set (collectors edition) when it became clear that I was probably never going to watch it again. I agree with CB's review and also with the shelf-life mini-review. It's a nice entertaining series, but you eventually start to wonder why the characters act so dense.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:24 am Reply with quote
Wow, I might actually have to change my last name from Crocker to Kuraka now! Though, living here in Maine people already tend to pronounce my name that way... Anime smallmouth

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anthony P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:52 am Reply with quote
Ohhh, that reference to Hufu really made my day. Laughing Nice.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:21 am Reply with quote
When I first saw Genshiken at an anime club I was dumbstruck that it featured one of the characters having a Laputa Castle in the Sky ringtone. That was the exact ringtone I had currently set for one of my alarms. Yeah, Genshiken is awesome, maybe a little too close to home sometimes, but awesome none the less. I also ahve enjoyed the manga.

Also, you get a bonus ep of Kujubiki Unbalance. The second ep is on this DVD (or rather ep 15, the filler ep of the series). When one of the clubs at my school saw this ep, during the karaoke scene, the entire club just broke out laughing. I swear a number of us were laughing so hard we had tears in our eyes.

-Xenos
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:03 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
When I first saw Genshiken at an anime club I was dumbstruck that it featured one of the characters having a Laputa Castle in the Sky ringtone. That was the exact ringtone I had currently set for one of my alarms. Yeah, Genshiken is awesome, maybe a little too close to home sometimes, but awesome none the less. I also ahve enjoyed the manga.

Also, you get a bonus ep of Kujubiki Unbalance. The second ep is on this DVD (or rather ep 15, the filler ep of the series). When one of the clubs at my school saw this ep, during the karaoke scene, the entire club just broke out laughing. I swear a number of us were laughing so hard we had tears in our eyes.

-Xenos

Episode 15 is a great episode. The voicework on KujiUn has really stabilised, and it generally feels quite natural.

The karaoke scene feels different in English and Japanese though.
spoiler[In the Japanese, it's like, she sings completely out of tune, her voice is all over the place, and that's why it's so awful. In the English, it's not just her voice that's wrong, but she sings incredibly badly as well. So it's a different feeling.] Both are funny, though!
TheShadow99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:37 am Reply with quote
Genshiken is amazingly good... I'm actually hoping they might do more sometime... It's just to fun to watch at times since it's so close to things fans would do anyways...

Never seen Gantz & I haven't heard anythign really good about the series, so I'm giving it a pass...

Sakura Diaries though... I own the original release Vol 1 disc. Unfortunately I can't watch things that dramatic... I ended up wanting to lay some smack down on each of the characters so bad... Never bought another disc after that... It's not bad if you can stand it though (& hopefully your not to young to feel comfortable seeing the T&A that's flashed during it)...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Interesting review on 'Avenger' but hey don't knock 'Ali Project'!

Hahahahaha!!!

Ah well, again not one of 'Bee Train's best titles since 'Noir' fame. But 'Genshiken' and 'Gunslinger Girl' are both worth watching. I'm wondering if I should check out 'Gantz'. Wink
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:46 pm Reply with quote
She lives! ^___^

Ah yes, in a rare feat, I have the "top two" animes on this annum's list, and they are as good as she says.

I hope I'm not the only one disappointed about GsG ending.
Rion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Ah great to have another shelf life... Cool

So wait, is that Gantz DVD a box set then?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
You're not. I wish there was more to the series. It just kind of stopped.

The manga, of course, has material that was not covered in the anime and may go beyond where the anime stopped. Now if only ADV would actually release the next volume.
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:13 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see Shelf Life again.
Quote:
When I go to the mall, I’m surprised to see ten year old girls with hundreds of dollars to spend on whatever clothes they want.
Y'know, I thought it was just me when I moved a few years ago. When my friends asked me to go shopping and I told them I didn't have too much extra money, they said: "Just ask your parents. They always give me about 50 bucks". I was like, WTH? We're still in junior high, and you're talkin' more'n I ever -- WTH? I thought it must have been the high income town. My money came from raking the lawn too, and it wasn't anything grand.

Anyway, on to this weeks SL. I was actually thinking about getting Avenger because it was cheap, but this review didn't taste too good, so I think I'll skip. I liked your review.
By the way, is the Hufu link supposed to lead to a picture of a very distressed Jadress?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3