• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final List of Best Buy Stores with Anime Sales Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
My store was named. Sad Bummer, because everyone knows this means a sign of slowdown for the anime purchasing market.

I have lots of items on my wish list, so I'm bound to find something to buy at 50% off. I'll want to hit the BB at the latest by this Friday, which happens to be a day off of work for me. I was going to place an order at TSRI, but I'll postpone that now with this one time deal at Best Buy. Otherwise, more and more, I'm shopping online for anime.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Bwahahaha! I got a few items on Monday from a Best Buy store that's kinda close, even though I never go to it!

Le Chevalier d'Eon
Mushi-Shi
Ghost Hunt
Clannad

The total was under $100. I would've gotten the Haruhi Suzumiya boxset, if I didn't get the Collector's Box that only included the first DVD... Having two DVDs of one thing but nothing else would drive me crazy. Crying or Very sad Great. Now it's time to decide whether or not I should go back.
Horitsuba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why I bothered to check the list. I already knew NYC wouldn't be on it. XD

Have fun with the sales? XD
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
damn it, I hate hitting sales like this late, everyone takes all the good stuff like vultures Confused . I'm thinking some of the fans who live in monroeville with the one and only best buy in the Pittsburgh area that's not having this sale must have come down to the neighboring best buys and took everything. Went to two today and the one was baren with blood+ boxset I considered then passed up, the other one had season 3 case closed that I bought (despite the fact I was looking for season 4) and a Kodocha season 1 boxset which was unexpected and also purchased. The total came to about $35, but I'm still kicking myself for not going on monday.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Again, don't see mine on the list, and I was just there today. Didn't get anything besides a 15 pack of Verbatim DVD+DL dvds to burn some stuff off my HD right now.
EricDent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I think that they must have delayed the list on purpose, they probably shipped off some of the stuff to the better stores. I will probably go look on Friday at the store that is closest to me.

BTW I wonder if I could use the 10% off coupon (Rewardzone Rules!) for these?
akane428

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
I've been using the Best Buy website to see what's in stock using the store pickup option. For the most part it was accurate. Except for Negima: Season 2 Part 2. It said it was available, but I didn't pay attention to the arrival date 3/31/09. sale ends 3/21/09. Embarassed
Satou NHK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
I'm a little confused as to how the actual process of getting items at %50 off works. I saw that 3 stores near me were on the list, so I decided to hit one up. When I arrived, there was absolutely no signage or any indication whatsoever that there was an anime sale going on. Everything was still regularly priced and the shelves were still pretty full. Is it like a secret sale or something? Someone posted that the markdown is taken at the register, but I didn't want to embarass myself by taking an armful of items up there and find out they're not on sale.

So, are there supposed to be %50 off markers if a store is having the sale? Does the stuff ring up at discount automatically or do they have to manually add the discount? Reason I ask is because there are some pretty ignorant employees at the stores near me.

Any help is appreciated.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
Homalef wrote:
I'm a little confused as to how the actual process of getting items at %50 off works. I saw that 3 stores near me were on the list, so I decided to hit one up. When I arrived, there was absolutely no signage or any indication whatsoever that there was an anime sale going on. Everything was still regularly priced and the shelves were still pretty full. Is it like a secret sale or something? Someone posted that the markdown is taken at the register, but I didn't want to embarass myself by taking an armful of items up there and find out they're not on sale.

So, are there supposed to be %50 off markers if a store is having the sale? Does the stuff ring up at discount automatically or do they have to manually add the discount? Reason I ask is because there are some pretty ignorant employees at the stores near me.

Any help is appreciated.

When they ring it up it'll show up as being marked off. Creating signage and such isn't worth it since it's not really a sale that normal people will partake it, it's more to just clear out inventory. If it doesn't show as being less when rung up, ask why.
akane428

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:54 am Reply with quote
Some stores have signs up. But if your store doesn't and it was on the list Then all you can do is go to customer service and ask them. And you can try telling them your store was on the list.
JDMSleeper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
akane428 wrote:
I've been using the Best Buy website to see what's in stock using the store pickup option. For the most part it was accurate. Except for Negima: Season 2 Part 2. It said it was available, but I didn't pay attention to the arrival date 3/31/09. sale ends 3/21/09. Embarassed

yeah i wanted that too >< oh well...hopefully i can get the second full season of fma it comes out on the 10th i believe =]
akane428

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
JDMSleeper wrote:
akane428 wrote:

yeah i wanted that too >< oh well...hopefully i can get the second full season of fma it comes out on the 10th i believe =]

I hope they stock fma season 2 as well. I'm not too fond of the whole Season # Part # thing. It costs more! Crying or Very sad
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:15 am Reply with quote
Homalef wrote:

The two stores I went to in my area yesterday had these little signs that said 50% off all anime titles. So, basically you're taking the prices that you see on the boxes and slashing them in half, and you have your sale. I really wouldn't try to get help from the employees, because they won't know what you're talking about, and if you ask them to look to see if they have whatever it is you're looking for in stock, they'll usually take about 20 minutes to get back to you. This is a sale where you're pretty much on your own. First come, first serve. Whatever is there, that's it. There won't be anymore.
Satou NHK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:25 am Reply with quote
Awesome, that helps a lot. Thanks a bunch, guys.

It really is a shame though that they're having to do this. Going to Best Buy on Tuesdays or on the weekends and browsing the anime section was one of my favorite things to do. I don't know; there's just something about being able browse and purchase anime from my local Best Buy that I find much more satisfying than doing it through online retailers. Well, that and the fact that many times, they would have significantly lower prices than even some online anime retailers.

This shows how bad things have gotten for the North American anime market. When the No.1 anime retailer is essentially getting out of the game, it leaves the industry focusing almost exclusively on online sales with the exception of flagship IP's like Naruto or Dragonball. Also, with broadcasters like Adult Swim cutting back from nightly anime to one tiny block a week during hours that mostly anyone would prefer to DVR, the industry is in serious trouble.

I've been saying for a while though that things are not going to last with the current business model of releasing series a little bit at a time over the course of 6 months or so. I can't count how many times I've started collecting a series, missed a release date or two, then come to find out there's a budget priced complete collection of it that I'm almost forced to buy just to see that last one or two volumes that I missed only to end up with extra copies. That's why I was glad when Funimation started releasing new series directly to box sets. While I don't think it's the end all answer to the anime home video market, it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Well, I just typed a whole lot more than I meant to. Oh, well. I had to vent somehow. Everyone knows that the industry is in a shifting point, and with this latest bit of news, it's more apparent than ever. I don't know. Maybe I'm just frustrated that I can't count on my favorite electronics chain to satisfy my "browser's need" in person anymore. I guess at the very least I can still use the Best Buy website (though they really need to clean it up with the duplicate SKU's and whatnot). Also, I still have two Fry's Electronics stores near me that carry good selections. That, or I could surrender myself to online purchasing through sites like RightStuf or AnimeNation which are actually really great.

Oh, well. I'm going to try again tommorrow to see what I can get my hands on.

Last edited by Satou NHK on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
zhir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:26 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Homalef wrote:

The two stores I went to in my area yesterday had these little signs that said 50% off all anime titles. So, basically you're taking the prices that you see on the boxes and slashing them in half, and you have your sale. I really wouldn't try to get help from the employees, because they won't know what you're talking about, and if you ask them to look to see if they have whatever it is you're looking for in stock, they'll usually take about 20 minutes to get back to you. This is a sale where you're pretty much on your own. First come, first serve. Whatever is there, that's it. There won't be anymore.

That hasn't been my experience at all, the employee I talked to had me walk with him to his computer to look up whether or not they would have Baccano! Vol 2 in time for the sale (no). It took like 5 minutes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7