• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final List of Best Buy Stores with Anime Sales Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poehitman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:27 am Reply with quote
I noticed at my Best Buy in Port Richey, FL, a few items were MUCH cheaper than 50% off and they weren't marked as such. They were volumes with artboxes. I got the Peach Girl artbox with volume 1 DVD and manga for $6.99 (was $29.99), the Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle Artbox with volume 1 DVD for $6.99 (was $29.99) and School Rumble locker tin artbox with volume 1 DVD for $7.99 (was $34.99). I tested some other items and all of the other ones I tested were the 50% off.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Homalef wrote:
I'm a little confused as to how the actual process of getting items at %50 off works. I saw that 3 stores near me were on the list, so I decided to hit one up. When I arrived, there was absolutely no signage or any indication whatsoever that there was an anime sale going on. Everything was still regularly priced and the shelves were still pretty full. Is it like a secret sale or something? Someone posted that the markdown is taken at the register, but I didn't want to embarass myself by taking an armful of items up there and find out they're not on sale.

So, are there supposed to be %50 off markers if a store is having the sale? Does the stuff ring up at discount automatically or do they have to manually add the discount? Reason I ask is because there are some pretty ignorant employees at the stores near me.
Any help is appreciated.

When they ring it up it'll show up as being marked off. Creating signage and such isn't worth it since it's not really a sale that normal people will partake it, it's more to just clear out inventory. If it doesn't show as being less when rung up, ask why.

At my store in Port Richey, FL, they had signage up for it. Nice little plastic signs that said "50% off all Anime DVD's".
Spiked Vash

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Homalef wrote:
I'm a little confused as to how the actual process of getting items at %50 off works. I saw that 3 stores near me were on the list, so I decided to hit one up. When I arrived, there was absolutely no signage or any indication whatsoever that there was an anime sale going on. Everything was still regularly priced and the shelves were still pretty full. Is it like a secret sale or something? Someone posted that the markdown is taken at the register, but I didn't want to embarass myself by taking an armful of items up there and find out they're not on sale.

So, are there supposed to be %50 off markers if a store is having the sale? Does the stuff ring up at discount automatically or do they have to manually add the discount? Reason I ask is because there are some pretty ignorant employees at the stores near me.

Any help is appreciated.

Me, too, that's the way I felt when I went to a BB that was on the preliminary list, but the little 50% sign weren't up. So instead of feeling embarassed if I took up tons of anime to the register and was told that there's no such sale, I bought none from that store.

But since the same store is on the final list now, I'm going back in the next two days or so.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
akane428 wrote:
JDMSleeper wrote:
akane428 wrote:
I've been using the Best Buy website to see what's in stock using the store pickup option. For the most part it was accurate. Except for Negima: Season 2 Part 2. It said it was available, but I didn't pay attention to the arrival date 3/31/09. sale ends 3/21/09. Embarassed

yeah i wanted that too >< oh well...hopefully i can get the second full season of fma it comes out on the 10th i believe =]

I hope they stock fma season 2 as well. I'm not too fond of the whole Season # Part # thing. It costs more! Crying or Very sad

They are not going to stock brand-new product like that and then sell it to you 50 percent off on the day of release, especially something that is likely to be in the weekly circular ad.

That would be like Target putting a video game on clearance and then ordering more stock of the clearanced item. That makes no sense.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
^--- Well that depends really.
Article wrote:
As previously reported, the American retail chain Best Buy will be changing its anime strategy to focus on stores where anime has performed well historically. These stores will continue to carry a full selection of anime titles, while other stores will cut their selection to only the top selling anime.

They might have ordered FMA if they consider it to be "top selling." The sale seems pretty indiscriminate (except I couldn't get them to sell me blu-rays for half price) so if they have FMA coming in, I'm sure they'll sell it at half price, even though it seems ridiculous.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, the trip I made to one of the locations in question paid off in spades. Full series sets of Ergo Proxy, Kino's Journey, and Overman King Gainer, all for a bit less than $60. I don't exactly have much money left after that splurge, but I might try hitting up another store to see what they have.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:

They might have ordered FMA if they consider it to be "top selling." The sale seems pretty indiscriminate (except I couldn't get them to sell me blu-rays for half price) so if they have FMA coming in, I'm sure they'll sell it at half price, even though it seems ridiculous.

You think Best Buy management is so idiotic that they order brand-new product and immediately place it on clearance at a loss?
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I bought this on Sunday at Best Buy for half off when it was just less than 4 weeks old.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
That's because it's already on the shelf, they aren't pulling titles off of the shelves for this clearance. Also, just because a title is new doesn't mean it's one of their top 20 titles. While Kino is an amazing series it's still probably much too obscure to compete with the likes of DBZ, Naruto, and Bleach. Anything that's a big seller and not on the shelf is probably going to stay in storage until the sale is over. Anything that's in the back and not a big seller will likely be redistributed to other stores that aren't having the sale. I'll be very surprised if anything released between now and the end of the sale will make it to the shelves. This sale seems more like a quick way to clear the shelves than an actual inventory clearance. It's probably cheaper for them to mark the price down on what's on the shelves than it is to pull everything, box it up, and then pay to ship it back to the distribution center and then pay again to redistribute it. Besides, it's not like there's a lot of titles coming in the next couple weeks that they would have stocked even under the old format. I'll be amazed if they restock the shelves during the clearance sale.

Incidentally, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but not everything on the anime shelves are on sale. If the price tag says "TV" instead of "ANIME" like the Voltron box sets then it doesn't get the discount. The manger I spoke to about that said they might make exceptions later in the sale because they have cases of stuff like Voltron that they can't sell and she's getting tired of looking at.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
akane428 wrote:
JDMSleeper wrote:
akane428 wrote:
I've been using the Best Buy website to see what's in stock using the store pickup option. For the most part it was accurate. Except for Negima: Season 2 Part 2. It said it was available, but I didn't pay attention to the arrival date 3/31/09. sale ends 3/21/09. Embarassed

yeah i wanted that too >< oh well...hopefully i can get the second full season of fma it comes out on the 10th i believe =]

I hope they stock fma season 2 as well. I'm not too fond of the whole Season # Part # thing. It costs more! Crying or Very sad

They are not going to stock brand-new product like that and then sell it to you 50 percent off on the day of release, especially something that is likely to be in the weekly circular ad.

That would be like Target putting a video game on clearance and then ordering more stock of the clearanced item. That makes no sense.

Actually you can get certain titles for half off. What you do is go to one of the stores that has the sale, look up the item in the kiosk and have it either shipped to you or in-store pick up.
A lot of older items are on sale there; I ordered Negima Part 2, Kenichi Part 1, Gundam Wing Part 2, D.grayman part 1 and Ah My Goddess Season 1.

All that for about $120 bucks. Sent to my house. The only bummer is you have to pay $2.49 per item for shipping. But it's still a good deal. if you do in-store pick up I believe you don't have to pay that. WTK has the list of newer stuff here with more directions

akane- FMA 2 is on that list.

If I was you I'd go quickly in case they change it.
Happy shopping. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
At this point it's whatever you can get that's left. Think of it as the Rightstuf Bargain but you don't have to go online to buy the products. They're out on the shelves but that's all their going to have. At 50% off you're practically selling your inventory for cost of what you paid to put on the shelves in the first place.
JetWhite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Actually you can get certain titles for half off. What you do is go to one of the stores that has the sale, look up the item in the kiosk and have it either shipped to you or in-store pick up.
A lot of older items are on sale there; I ordered Negima Part 2, Kenichi Part 1, Gundam Wing Part 2, D.grayman part 1 and Ah My Goddess Season 1.

All that for about $120 bucks. Sent to my house. The only bummer is you have to pay $2.49 per item for shipping. But it's still a good deal. if you do in-store pick up I believe you don't have to pay that. WTK has the list of newer stuff here with more directions)
That's pretty awesome maybe I can get to the one in Destin sometime (wasn't able to get there this week) and get them shipped to the store in Panama City.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
I noticed at my Best Buy in Port Richey, FL, a few items were MUCH cheaper than 50% off and they weren't marked as such. They were volumes with artboxes. I got the Peach Girl artbox with volume 1 DVD and manga for $6.99 (was $29.99), the Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle Artbox with volume 1 DVD for $6.99 (was $29.99) and School Rumble locker tin artbox with volume 1 DVD for $7.99 (was $34.99). I tested some other items and all of the other ones I tested were the 50% off.

The older Volumes 1+ Art Boxes, or Volume 2+Art Box (for ADV), were marked down months and months ago. For instance, Beck with Art Box was marked down to $9.99 last year. Most of the Best Buy's having the sales had already sent theirs back, so you must have got lucky.

It seems someone in that media department was not doing their job, and checking their daily price changes.
EricDent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Just got back from the nearest Best Buy that was doing this. They had the signage up that said ALL Anime 50% Off. So I got Ghost Hunt (all of it), Ghost Slayers Ayashi (1st part), and Moribito (the 2 DVD set). All for under $65! BTW since they are normal prices, the Best Buy Rewardzone coupons (10% off up to 3 DVDs) that they sent out that run through this weekend DO work!!!
kamichamachii

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow this explains why there was so little anime when I went to my BestBuy this just this morning... Shocked Well there are 2 bestbuys by me, one is on the list(it's about a 5 min drive) and the other isn't.(15-20 min drive)... so this morning I bought Fruits Basket Complete series because I didn't see Paniponi Dash complete series, so now I know...GO TO THE BESTBUY IN RIVERSIDE! (I live in Moreno Vally, CA..)

Well I still have(want) to get PaniPoni Dash, Haruhi Suzumiya, SnS, Spiral, Lucky Star (if the come out with a box set, otherwise I'lll wait) and Mamotte Lollipop(Save Me Lollipop) before the year ends...but for me that's alot of money speaking that I only get $5 ($10 dollars in the summer which is 2 months)dollars a week in allowance... Crying or Very sad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I went to store #1468 (West Simsbury, CT) on Tuesday and not only was there nothing marked down, but there was nothing there even close to marked down, no signs to any clearance, and the staff had no idea what I was talking about. The store was on the list, but apparently they didn't get the memo.

This isn't the first time Best Buy has screwed me over, but I promise it will be the last time. They won't be getting my business anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7