• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Sakuran Saku

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I was just wondering WAIT, KONO S WO MIYO WAS BROUGHT TO THE STATES?!?! But no, it's just a user review.

Still love my Ultimo, but I'm on a forced diet for new purchases, so I'll have to wait till I get to Japan to buy my 5 dollar copy instead.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
I was just wondering WAIT, KONO S WO MIYO WAS BROUGHT TO THE STATES?!?! But no, it's just a user review.

That wasn't a user review... That was the 'Import of the Month', which I'm pretty sure Carlo does. Hell, it's even done in the same style as Carlo's entries, while the user reviews have a different style to them.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've gotten excited by the Import of the Month too on occasion, before realizing that it is an import Sad
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Woah, that Haruhi manga looks interesting, especially since it gets rid of the worst character in the whole series (Haruhi).

I simply cannot stand how Haruhi never develops and continuously is a colossal bitch to every other character. A series without her sounds AMAZING, especially since I like literally every other character besides her.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Woah, that Haruhi manga looks interesting, especially since it gets rid of the worst character in the whole series (Haruhi).

Nope, she's in there!
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Bakuman has become one of my favorite series. I'm not up to vol 13 yet (I didn't even know it was released!) but it sounds like things get more exciting. The romance one-shot contest has a lot of potential. How would the guy who draws the otter gag manga interpret a romantic story? Or the kid who draws "Crow"?

The fact that Hiramaru is still trying to capture the attention of the manga-ka he fancies surprised me, because I thought he'd given up. Guess he's persistent (and a bit desperate-she's, what, 10 years younger than him?)

Thanks for the review! I'm looking forward to vols 11-13 even more now!
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Bakuman has become one of my favorite series. I'm not up to vol 13 yet (I didn't even know it was released!) but it sounds like things get more exciting. The romance one-shot contest has a lot of potential. How would the guy who draws the otter gag manga interpret a romantic story? Or the kid who draws "Crow"?

The fact that Hiramaru is still trying to capture the attention of the manga-ka he fancies surprised me, because I thought he'd given up. Guess he's persistent (and a bit desperate-she's, what, 10 years younger than him?)

Thanks for the review! I'm looking forward to vols 11-13 even more now!
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
it's simply not one of Vertical's more durable books (and I can't necessarily compare it with other larger releases as this one has a different paper size). Kinda wished it had gotten bigger paper, as it looks awesome artwise and got all these lovely color pages!

Had to keep the same size as the Japanese to not mess up the color. Blowing up the images would have made them look all faded and dirty.

Sorry to hear about the spine, it is the first time we have used this printer from Hong Kong.

Yeah... you might want to not use them again; amazon has a review up of somebody's pages falling out and I saw another review where the spine broke. Trying to be even more careful than normal with mine.

The color pages are AMAZING. Totally blown away by the art.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:36 am Reply with quote
I noticed that I was having to be quite careful with my copy of Sakuran as well. I would personally not use them again. Love everything else though.
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:21 am Reply with quote
You can add me to the list of dissatisfied customers with a big fat crease down the spine of their copy of Sakuran. I'm gutted because it really is such a lovely book with the shiny cover and all the gorgeous colour pages.

Regarding the story itself, I loved the main character, the unusual premise/setting, and the humour. But whether due to the flow of Anno's panels or my stupidity, I found the story difficult to follow at times. I'd often lose track of who was who and what exactly their role in the story was, meaning I had to re-read certain passages multiple times. I still don't understand the what the whole "deception" thing in the last couple of chapters was about.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
^Oh good, I was afraid I was being extra dense or something, because I also had some problems with the "deception" thing. And yeah, I kept losing track of who was who as well. I'm going to have to reread it and pay careful attention to eye and hairstyles, kimono patterns and mouths.

Still really enjoyed it despite that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2