• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Story of Saiunkoku Season 1 Part 2 DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
All right. I seriously NEED to check out this show now. Three glowing reviews from two different reviewers, and shades of The Twelve Kingdoms certainly can't be a bad thing. Not a bad thing at all. Very Happy

Netflix time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
Sakujun! The best part of the series is when he is around and I am very excited to hear his dub voice after that note, because the Japanese one is really quite wonderful.

I'm glad to see this is coming out in thinpak now, I was hoping that Funi would make that change from the original Geneon release.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
I just finished this yesterday and this is one of my favorite shows right now. And I absolutely can't wait to see the conclusion of this series. I have my hopes as to who Shurei ends up with but with the choices that she has...

Yeah, this is very much a shojo series and light on the action, the plot twists and turns certainly make up for that.

I really recommend this series.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
Why the change of surname in the dub? Confused I mean, it wasn't all that important, but is there some reason they changed it that I missed? (Methinks it was just an error.)
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Why the change of surname in the dub? Confused I mean, it wasn't all that important, but is there some reason they changed it that I missed? (Methinks it was just an error.)

A very simple reason, I suppose. Two of the families have the same name. It's a different Kanji, but both of them are pronounced "Kou", so in English (or any other language without Kanji) one wouldn't be able to tell difference between them anymore. So they exchanged the japanese pronunciation with the chinese one, so it's not even that far fetched.

From wikipedia:

Quote:
Hong (紅, Kō?, Crimson) — Equal power to that of the Ran clan, with which it is known as the 'highest of nobility'

In the original Japanese media, the name of this clan and family is pronounced as Kō. By the request of Saiunkoku's original creator, Geneon changed this name in the official North American version to "Hong", the Mandarin Chinese pronunciation of the same logogram, in order to minimize confusion with the other "Ko" name belonging to the Yellow clan/province. Funimation has retained this name change in its distribution of the Geneon R1 DVDs.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote
From what I understand, the change in surname was on purpose because they thought that we would be stupid and not understand the difference between the two Kou clans (same pronunciation, different kanji and meaning). So they used a different pronunciation, Hong, for Shuurei's (though if they had to change one, why they couldn't use a different one for Kou Kijin's instead is beyond me).

Thanks for the review. I had no idea this was out already. I just ran over to rightstuf and bought it (and pre-ordered part 3 so I wouldn't miss it)!

Sa Sakunjun's and his verbal battles with both Shuurei and Seiran are my favorite parts of the second half of the first season. I'm happy to hear his VA is a good one.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
This was the one Geneon title that I wanted to be rescued. I managed to get a friend into it and we are constantly debating over who Shurei should end up with, personally, I'm rooting for Ryu Ki Anime hyper

Regarding the Japanese dub, I remember how put off I was when I learned that the heroine was voiced by Houko Kuwashima -she was in too many works for my tastes at that time- but I was glad that she was using her cutesy Yurika voice, which is the tone that I prefer of her. Also glad to hear Nobuyuki Hiyama as Kouyou Li; I haven't heard much of him recently.

I hope that this series is doing well right now and that Funimation will consider licensing the second season. I'm also interested in checking the novels that this series was based off.
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quote
Saiunkoku = saikou!!
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
Huh, I never really liked this show personally o__O I might rewatch it again, but interesting that it got a pretty decent review!
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
There is no Season 1, Part 1 right? I'd need to get the 3 Geneon DVDs to watch the first half of Season 1? The rest of the series I could get with the Funimation series "half-packs".
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
There is no Season 1, Part 1 right? I'd need to get the 3 Geneon DVDs to watch the first half of Season 1? The rest of the series I could get with the Funimation series "half-packs".

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/LVNBxZ=Lv0ZugK6sgY/browse/search/5/4/0/0/results/desc/asc/50/1

No, so what you would have to do is get DVD 1 & 2 as well as DVD 3 w/part 1 box.

Don't get DVD 1 w/art box.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I just finished this yesterday and this is one of my favorite shows right now. And I absolutely can't wait to see the conclusion of this series. I have my hopes as to who Shurei ends up with but with the choices that she has.

Just a warning/note, there is a second season to the series and I'm not sure that it's been licensed too. I haven't seen it all yet, so I don't know how it ends, but season 1 does not end with any definite choice.

Edit: Just checked and it looks like the second is indeed NOT licensed. Though hopefully if the sales of the first season are good Funi will pick it up.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
I just finished this yesterday and this is one of my favorite shows right now. And I absolutely can't wait to see the conclusion of this series. I have my hopes as to who Shurei ends up with but with the choices that she has.

Just a warning/note, there is a second season to the series and I'm not sure that it's been licensed too. I haven't seen it all yet, so I don't know how it ends, but season 1 does not end with any definite choice.

Edit: Just checked and it looks like the second is indeed NOT licensed. Though hopefully if the sales of the first season are good Funi will pick it up.

Thanks for the reminder...let's cross our fingers and hope that Geneon will pick it up for Funi to distribute or Funi picks it up themselves.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

Thanks for the reminder...let's cross our fingers and hope that Geneon will pick it up for Funi to distribute or Funi picks it up themselves.

Another warning, even though there is a S2 of Saiunkoku, the story doesn't end there either. The show is fantastic, but the light novels aren't completed (book 14 just came out last month) so you're not going to find a resolution to all the plotlines in S1 OR S2. Here's hoping they make a season 3 once all the books finish!
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I haven't seen all of the second season so I wasn't sure if it had an actual ending to it or not. The series seems to be popular enough in Japan though so hopefully they'll continue it.

A bit odd to have that coming from me, since I usually dislike long shows, but I think for this series it works out nicely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2