• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Uncertain State of the Anime Industry Profiled

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:01 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Most anime is going to air on a public channel first, and then they will go to DVD, anime cable network, the internet and so forth. Most of the subs would seem likely to come from people who record the shows in Japan and get them to their subbing groups. This you can tell by seeing the cutoffs for the commercial breaks, where you see the sponsors of the shows. If DVD sales don't come in though, as well as for merchandise, then the show can suffer.

What further complicates matters is that the merchandise often doesn't factor into US sales. Really, companies relying solely on DVD sales over here has to hurt them a lot of the times, but the fact is that there isn't enough of a consumer market for the associated merch in the US. Certainly this is less-than-ideal because anime is partially made to promote products made by partners/sponsors.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote
Yes, that would make quite a bit of sense. There are series out there that I know do not have any kind of merchandise other than DVDs for their sale products, so this can have a profound effect to say the least. One could only wish that there could be more that could be done for these certain series, but if viewership is not up to par of what they expected, or DVD sales didn't do jack squat, then that basically kills the series.
cnav

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:38 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Licensing is DESTROYING the industry? Please do inform me as to what rock you've been living under for the past twenty years.

Certainly not the same rock under which you have been, for a much longer period than me.. Read my post and try to understand what my point was. You can't go on blaming fansubs for anything bad that happens in the anime industry..
You know what.. Many people are introduced to anime only through fansubs. I'm one of them. You get my point... AND I'M PROUD TO CALL MYSELF AN ANIME FAN>>>>>

[Mod note: Try to work on your spelling and punctuation. Thanks. ~S]
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:39 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Article wrote:
"These sites upload programs almost immediately after they are broadcast in Japan," accompanied with "fan subs" — English subtitles translated by fans," Iwata said. "This is causing a very big dent in sales."

This statement is something they come up with because they are so set in their business model that they "Must Protect DVD Licences at all cost". For too long they've been unwilling to look at alternative income sources. If they wanted to do something, they could have been looking at online streaming ages ago.

Unit03-5ish wrote:

I know this comes as a shock, but hey, who cares as long as people get their free cartoons Rolling Eyes

I doubt even the sad tale of struggling animators is going to move anyone to tears, either. Seriously, fans are arseholes. Hell, they should feel ashamed to even call themselves "fans" at this point.

I agree, but again I point to the industry trying to stick too hard and fast to an outdated business model, as was alluded to earlier in the article:

Article wrote:
"The global fan base for Japanese 'anime' is increasing, but with the old business model crumbling it isn't translating into profits," said Yasuo Yamaguchi, executive director of the Association of Japanese Animations.

Ultimately, as I said a few weeks back during the Chicks on Fansubs discussion, the fansub problem has been self-inflicted by the industry to some degree because they've had years to do something about it and done nothing. The old business model (broadcasting on Japanese TV to entice purchase of high-priced feature-laden DVDs and merchandise and then selling licences of shows to the US and other countries) has been stagnant. There's been a major window of opportunity on their feet, but they're so obsessed with protecting potential revenue for overseas DVD licences that they've been ignoring other potential streams of revenue which would extend potential income to the scores of shows that air in Japan and never reach DVD release in the US or elsewhere.

Yes, the anime industry's been suffering on the back of the global economic collapse. But if they'd done something about the fansub issue years ago, something positive like they're only just starting to do now, maybe not only would they be better cushioned against the economic downturn, but also they would not have allowed the "free anime is an entitlement" attitude that is so prevalent now to spread as much as it has.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:42 am Reply with quote
Silly news article! Nobody uses cels anymore! Laughing
(No more factories manufacture them.)

cnav wrote:
Sheleigha..u know something ...i know a lot of people who download animes..A LOT...and all i want to say is that people all over the planet are crazy for anime .the reason why people frown upon licensing is because then they will not be able to get those animes at all..im speaking my case out..kay..i stay in india and fansubs are the only way i can get anime okay..india doesnt import anime ,manga or any merchandise at all...and funimation streaming is not available in my country...so how do u expect people like me to watch anime huh...

Well, yours is a special case. But here's the issue: you're piggybacking on R1 issues - R1 fansubbers and R1 industry. I explained something about that before here:
Quote:
As for those outside the R1 region, I feel for ya. I'd been in your situation. But as I mentioned earlier about the old Fansub Code of Ethics, the point concerns licensing by domestic companies. What's domestic to them may not be domestic to you, and vice versa. Yet so long as much of English fansubbing involves R1 participants, they will be guided by issues domestic to them.

Still, there's a way to get your fix. This used to be done more often, believe it or not:
Buy the Japanese DVDs then get the translated scripts from translators. The Japanese get their money; you get your translations you can read while watching the DVDs. Cool

Or depend on your Region's fansubbers, instead of piggybacking on R1 fansubbers, because R1 fansubbers are beholden to R1 issues, not yours. Many do want the anime industry to flourish in their region.

So while I emphatize with your situation, in the end, yours is still just a "foreign element" within the R1 issues. Yours is not a main issue. That issue is up to your own Region's participants (fansubbers and industry). And as I've mentioned to you before:
Quote:
If the fansubbers are R1-based, like much of English fansubdom is, then pragmatically, it's just tough cookies for those watchers outside R1 since this is a R1 issue. "Outsiders" just happened to partake in it, but it's still just a "domestic" issue. (The "original" fansub code leads to a domestic goal, after all.) Them's the breaks, s'all.

Have their fansubbers take over, or better yet, sub 'em in Hindi or other local language so not directly competing with English R1 so R1 companies won't care.

Surely there are Hindi (or even English) Indian fansubbers in your Region, at least? With 1+ billion scientifically/engineering-inclined population? Confused

cnav wrote:

and if u ask me ,,id like to say that licensing of anime should be stopped,,the reason why the anime industry is going through bad times is because greedy money minded companies like funi are taking the animes into america and milking the franchises like hell.WHo is getting the major profit out of licensin..???is it japan or America

Both, during good times. The Japanese get money from license fees from R1 companies like Funimation, and R1 companies sell enough DVDs to profit and thus can afford to pay for more Japanese licenses as the Japanese are able to sell more licenses.

But if you've been keeping track of the industry lately, nobody right now is making major profit........... except for the Japanese sponsors (not studios) - and if you've read this talkback's article, you know why.

cnav wrote:

and u know sumthn..if the anime dvds start comin into the indian market ill buy them for sure...

Try to convince business people in your Region who can make a play for it. Or better yet if you can, you can try to be your Region's startup anime company. R1 companies like ADV Films started out as a small 2-man crew too. You can be the Pioneer in your untapped region. It's easier to get in while things are still on level ground, y'know. Very Happy
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:55 am Reply with quote
I won't deny that both the companies and the fansubbers have dipped their hands in the pie that is the sagging state of the industry. Basically, Japan's been slow to adapt new business and distribution models, but fansubbers continue to dole out pirated anime and lots of people refuse to ever pay a dime for the shows even when the legit DVDs pop up. So yeah, no one's entirely blameless in this situation. But with FUNimation and Bandai airing stuff on YouTube and CR wiping its slate clean of its dirty origins, things may be on the upswing down the road. And if they can provide more value-per-dollar (like full episodes in either dubbed or subtitled format for 2 bucks a pop on iTunes or some other service, as well as cheaper boxed sets), things can turn towards the positive.

Also, Valkyrie, and to others posting about the economy: I mean no disrespect, but what we're facing now is nothing, NOTHING compared to the '30s. Anyone who knows anything about early 20th century US history knows that the Great Depression was the absolute most horrible of economic times we'd ever faced. I don't think it'll get to that point again in our lifetimes.
Ian K

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:59 am Reply with quote
I ran across this interview with the president of Toei's Phillipine wing that is relevant to the current discussion:

http://ghostlightning.wordpress.com/2009/03/02/interview-toei/

Under 'Candid talk about how the business of anime works', the Prez confirms that most of the profits are made on merchandise sales, and that in some cases fansubs have actually led to increased sales (he says Lucky Star didn't catch on in Japan until after international fans got into it).

Unfortunately, I don't see how this is going to change business models for distributors in the West, since there doesn't seem to be a large market for merchandise - I sure have no interest in it beyond the DVDs.
Ruremi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:00 am Reply with quote
Just the way that companies have continued to stick to their original ways of distributing anime to other countries, just goes to show you that human nature is hard to change if ever at all.

There were plenty of years to try and figure out new ways to make money off of their product after the internet became popular, but they wouldn't change; it's human nature. Remember back when shows were some years ahead of what was being released in the west? The internet came and fans found new ways to see things without having to wait for so long.

After even further years went by things didn't change; licensing still took months and after that you still had to wait for it to be released.
People get jaded after a while, and when able to, will take things into their own hands.

Companies really do want people to stop, but after so many years of the same thing, human nature is what conquers us all. People are too used to watching anime when it's actually new now; same with file sharing overall. Once you get used to things being a certain way, it's hard to up and change.

By the time a show gets released now there's already another that people are excited about.

Last edited by Ruremi on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Except that even in Japan, they don't watch anime "for free" on TV. They have to pay, you know, cable service bills...revolutionary concept, isn't it Rolling Eyes

Fansubs may not be the sole cause of the problem, but they aren't HELPING things.

Only a small fraction (<20%) of anime programming is shown only on pay channels, and almost none at all only on cable channels.

Hardly anyone in Japan even pays for cable unless you live somewhere out in the boondocks with no TV reception.

People DO have to pay a fee for NHK, similar to the how in the UK everyone pays a yearly fee for BBS, however it's only about $200 a year. Furthermore, absolutely NONE of that NHK fee ends up in the hands of the anime production companies (well, NHK does air a few anime once in a while, but no late-night otaku stuff).

So get your facts straight, Unit sqrt(12). Most anime is tivo's on PVRs and watched for essentially free. Then a small fraction of the otaku who watched the show actually purchase hugely overpriced DVDs of it, which support the industry.

You know, I bet if you did a study that compared the fraction of people who watch an anime show on TV (or tivoed) in Japan to the fraction that purchase the DVD, vs. the fraction of foreigners who watch fansubs or legal free broadcasts to the number of people who buy R1 DVDs, you'd find the fraction was pretty similar.

I live in Japan. I own a TV with a hard drive recorder in it. I could watch 20 hours of anime a week if I wanted to, essentially for free.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:04 am Reply with quote
You know, you could at the very least respond to me without being condescending or putting on an air of superiority. Rolling Eyes
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:04 am Reply with quote
Dante80 wrote:
*blather*

Well, these issues existed long before the economy problems happened, and you do realize that this isn't some random person saying it, but actual Japanese industry people who have access to sales numbers, and are having their jobs affected?

Get out of your Fan Delusion. This is coming from people with actual knowledge on the subject, not stuff fans make up in their heads. There's many issues that are affecting anime, and the economy is one of them, but companies can't overlook the decline in home video sales [a primary source of income for anime production] and the rise in free video sharing.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:20 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Also, Valkyrie, and to others posting about the economy: I mean no disrespect, but what we're facing now is nothing, NOTHING compared to the '30s. Anyone who knows anything about early 20th century US history knows that the Great Depression was the absolute most horrible of economic times we'd ever faced. I don't think it'll get to that point again in our lifetimes.

I wasn't saying it was, the crash of '29 was horrendous. So much so that it took another world war to recover from it. And it wasn't just America. Very few countries in the world were immune from it or even partially protected for that matter. It took WW2 and the required economic activity of building weapons, ammunition, aircraft, warships, etc, for the world economy to recover fully. That said, it's not to say that the current downturn is something trivial - unemployment is skyrocketing, mortgage foreclosures are happening everywhere, trade is slowing down.

That said, the Anime industry had one of the longest boom runs in recent memory to take control of this huge online potential and didn't. Now it's trying to do it in a time where their revenues (and thus available funds) are decreasing and risk profiles narrowing, and they're having to do this against a situation which could have been to a very large degree avoided. For mine, quite possibly the worst effect of their inactivity during that time was that they allowed the "fansubs are an entitlement" attitude to proliferate, and we'll never know just how much of an effect that would have.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:20 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
You know, you could at the very least respond to me without being condescending or putting on an air of superiority. Rolling Eyes

Next time don't state things as facts you know nothing about and I'll consider it.

The whole "Even in Japan they have to pay for TV!" is a straw man argument and essentially completely false, and it irks me whenever people bring it up. The fact is people pay far more for television in the US than they do in Japan.
The average US person pays $50-100 for cable per month, almost $1000 a year, to get stations like sci-fi and cartoon network that (used to) show anime... In Japan the NHK fee is $200 a year, and you don't even have to pay that if you don't tell anyone you bought a TV Smile.

The fact is that it IS legally possible to watch a ton of anime for essentially free in Japan, never supporting the industry at all. There are plenty of people who do it, too. College kids and high school kids aren't the ones buying anime DVDs in Japan, because they don't have any money.
So all the people on their soap boxes talking down to that 17 year old from India or the Phillipeans and telling them "Watching anime for free and not paying for it is EVIL!" are applying a moral equivalence that is completely false.
I'm not saying that anyone in the world should have the RIGHT to watch anime for free in their native language, but just because you do does not give you the OBLIGATION to support the industry either, especially if you have no means to do so.

Furthermore, to make the argument that those who cannot afford to support the industry should not be allowed to watch the programs are counterproductive in the long term to the growth and health of the industry. It's from that pool of people who learn to love the medium when young that they then, once they have the financial ability, begin to support the industry.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:26 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Next time don't state things as facts you know nothing about and I'll consider it.

My, THANK YOU for saying you'll "consider" it. I was trying to say that even in Japan there's a basic fee to be paid to broadcasting companies. Whatever, though, I don't want to waste my energy arguing with someone who seems to have such a low opinion of me. Razz
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:31 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

My, THANK YOU for saying you'll "consider" it. I was trying to say that even in Japan there's a basic fee to be paid to broadcasting companies. Whatever, though, I don't want to waste my energy arguing with someone who seems to have such a low opinion of me. Razz

Don't feel so special. All of my posts are condescending regardless of who I am replying to. It's my shtick.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12