• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Straining Your I"s

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:45 am Reply with quote
Hmmm ... a worrisome set of reviews this week, but at least now I don't feel as bad about "cheating" and read I''s the other weekend, even after hearing the anime was coming out. And not to hold that conversation again, but there's nothing to feel guilty about for liking DNA^2.
Sarukah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Conveniently, the main character inherited his electricity-conducting powers, so he doesn't even need to pay up.

Its been awhile since I've seen the show, but I thought Hei's payment had something to do with how he eats so freaking much. I don't remember anything about it saying that he inherited his powers. Someone remind me of what I'm not remembering if I'm incorrect.
zhir

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
I'm a little surprised at your review of STRAIN, as I hadn't heard anything good about it. I may have to pick it up.

I feel exactly the same way about the Tsundere RomCom. It gets frustrating extremely quickly if the guy doesn't deserve it at least some of the time.
geco8

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:11 am Reply with quote
Anyone else confused about Love Hina being listed as Perishable on the top, but having a red border at the bottom? Confused
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
Man, that Dendrobium is freaking massive, and I believe the GP-03 is only on the 1/144 scale. Imagine anything bigger, like all the crap like AoZ, or just that on a bigger scale.
mulrich

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:35 am Reply with quote
Love Hina manga = awesome
Love Hina anime = utter shit. Even more so with the English dub. Never have I heard a dub with so many complete changes of dialogue, and unnecessary additions to dialogue.
nechronius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:06 am Reply with quote
I can't believe I just bought the ocarina app. Sad. So very sad. Not a musical bone in my body.
Anath_19

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:23 am Reply with quote
Sarukah wrote:
Quote:
Conveniently, the main character inherited his electricity-conducting powers, so he doesn't even need to pay up.

Its been awhile since I've seen the show, but I thought Hei's payment had something to do with how he eats so freaking much. I don't remember anything about it saying that he inherited his powers. Someone remind me of what I'm not remembering if I'm incorrect.

(major spoiler for the end of the series) spoiler[I don't remember the series that well, but at least later on, there was some kind of explanation of how he inherited his dead sister's powers, but because he inherited them from someone else, he still had emotions and didn't have to pay a price. I'm pretty sure it was a big deal, and was why Amber (that C.C. clone) wanted him so bad. But like I said, I don't remember the series that well, so I could be a bit off.]

Moving on to another topic, I think it's a bit interesting that there's no mention that Str.A.In is based off Francis Hodgson Burnett's A Little Princess. On a similar note, I find it rather curious that I've seen people bashing Gonzo for finding a way to put mechs in any show they animate, but I have yet to see one person complaining about how Studio Fantasia managed to turn a classic book without a drop of sci-fi into a full-blown mecha anime. I'm sure they exist, though. They must.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:22 am Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
Love Hina anime = utter shit. Even more so with the English dub. Never have I heard a dub with so many complete changes of dialogue, and unnecessary additions to dialogue.

thus the reason there's no point in shelling out the cash for the boxset. The only way it even be a little bit worth it would be if funi redubbed it and even then you'd have to tollerate Naru's tsun tsun which I could 7 years ago when I first saw love hina, but now 7 years latter having seen harem and tsundere anime ad nauseam there's no way I could stomach all that along with one of the worst dubs I've ever heard. The only place for this series is in the garbage bin.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
By blowing into the speaker, and using four finger “holes” on the screen, you can make sweet ocarina sounds all night long.

Cheating! It's not a real ocarina unless you have to empty it of saliva every minute or so. And I'd wager one of those "I phones" costs somewhat more than a proper instrument also.

Quote:
Absolutely nuts. Also, huge props on owning SaiKano. Very Happy

I do too! Alas I'd struggle to claim I'm absolutely nuts. Nice to know it's 6:11 in the evening at Dave's house.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:44 am Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:

I half agree with you, but if anything I found the manga to be even more formulaic than the anime if such a thing is possible. I can't stand Love Hina for many of the same reasons mentioned in the review. There's only so many times I can get a laugh out of Keitaro getting his @$$ kicked by Naru for something that any sane person would immediately realize was not his fault. That time is once.

I"s is one of those series that could have been great but was severely screwed over in the anime department. The two-episode OVA was just plain boring and I totally agree wit the CliffNotes analogy for the six-episode OVA. Neither do the manga justice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:22 am Reply with quote
C'mon! It's been an anime staple for the girls never to take the incidence blame even way back with the popular Lum or Akane Tendo! And guys are supposed to be the stronger man protecting the honor of the goddesses they love! (Cue Meredith Brooks' infamous song.) Laughing

Still yeah, it's about time we get another Mega-Playboy that'd dish it too by impregnating hundreds of girls back! Instead of just jacking off to their favorite next Video Girl. Laughing

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:34 am; edited 2 times in total
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:28 am Reply with quote
Never got into Love Hina either, despite a technically excellent Tagalog dub with Charmaine Cordoviz as Naru. Only read the first manga volume in Japanese.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:34 am Reply with quote
Anath_19 wrote:

Moving on to another topic, I think it's a bit interesting that there's no mention that Str.A.In is based off Francis Hodgson Burnett's A Little Princess.

I didn't think it was worth mentioning, since it's only very, very loosely based on the book. Meaning, he used the character names, and did some clever scramblings of the last names, but the similarities are a stretch. (Interestingly, A Little Princess was loosely based on C. Bronte's unfinished novel Emma, so the chain goes even further back.)

But honestly, even though the Strain manga may have been inspired by some of Burnett's books, you'd be hard pressed to draw any concrete parallels.

Quote:
On a similar note, I find it rather curious that I've seen people bashing Gonzo for finding a way to put mechs in any show they animate, but I have yet to see one person complaining about how Studio Fantasia managed to turn a classic book without a drop of sci-fi into a full-blown mecha anime. I'm sure they exist, though. They must.

I think it's because Strain most definitely is *not* an adaptation of A Little Princess. Whatsoever.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:49 am Reply with quote
The review of the I"s boxset is completely saddening to me, as I'd been looking forward to picking this up as a fan of the manga. Switching the artwork I can deal with, since Bandai did that with one of the GitS releases, but a hackjob dub on top of a bad adaptation? That's a no-go for me. And you didn't mention the presence or lack of the original DVD shorts from the Japanese release. Should any prospective diehard fans expect to find those on the release?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7