• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Battle Angel Film Rights Holder Cameron: Avatar 2 to Be 2015 or Later

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I know most people expected Alita to never be released, and well it'll never be released.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone even care anymore? I really don't.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
We're still kicking this story around huh?
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, this drama seems to overshadow the original work. Being a kid when Viz was re-releasing it in the 2000's, I never got the chance to read it. Is it any good? Like, worth owning?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Honestly, this drama seems to overshadow the original work. Being a kid when Viz was re-releasing it in the 2000's, I never got the chance to read it. Is it any good? Like, worth owning?

Its...ok? I mean its a fun action manga and all, but its nothing amazingly groundbreaking.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I really liked it! But it will never get made into a Hollywood Blockbuster.

I found it to be a great read. It was like Frankenstien's Monster, Blade Runner, and Total Recall all combined. The artwork was a little dated; But the adventure was easy to follow and the main heroine was compelling.

Now if you are looking for roses and sunshine this is not it. It can be harsh and bleak at times, but it has it's moments when it really shines and can be heartwarming in spots.
partially

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I was almost certain a month or two ago he was quoted in an interview as saying (flat out) that he was no longer interested in any projects apart from Avatar, and he would not be doing anything else. Not a factor of when he is finished Avatar he will do other things, but simply that he will only do Avatar related projects from now on.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
so basically if it gets made it'll be 10 years from now at earliest.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:08 am Reply with quote
The only reason that I cared at all about this is because I thought that a film adaptation might encourage some company to republish the manga, which Jason Thompson has made me want to read. Now that Kodansha plans to do that next year, I have no direct interest in whether or not James Cameron will ever adapt it into a film. I still think that it would be a good thing if he were to, but I doubt that I would want to see it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
I really get the impression that Cameron enjoys making documentaries, and that's what he'll probably be doing after he finishes the third Avatar.
Jure

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:17 am Reply with quote
That's it. I don't even care anymore. I'll just wait for Akira... oh wait. Just... give the project to someone else already.

At least Kodansha will repring Alita. One of my volumes is horribly damaged from shipment and I never bought a new one because:
a) there isn't a single copy of volume 2 in whole Europe
b) I am never importing from America again
These new volumes will at least be easy to find. Also, I hope Kodansha reprints Last Order too. I am still missing volume 7. Damn Viz. Seriously, some titles become pain in the ass when you like them too much.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Does anyone even care anymore? I really don't.

I was thinking the same thing. The man clearly has higher goals which require a lot of money at the moment, so I don't see him leaving a gold mine for a hobby.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing the rights Cameron acquired don't have the typical expiration date.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
Not to be a killjoy but every time I hear about this story I get annoyed. C'mon, either he's going to do it or he's not. I mean he's not going to do the next Avatar film until several years from now. By that time the technology that he's using will most likely advance. Making the first film pale in comparison. It's almost like an ego thing with him. He's counting on the fact that people will wait to see what he produces. I sympathize with those wanting to see his interpretation of Battle Angel Alita, but I could care less about whether he does it or not. I'll just watch my OVA of the series and move on. Sure 2015 might be far off and then it may be here before you know it. But you can bet there will another delay. So I have no faith anymore in his decision. I'm not interested in seeing the 2nd Avatar film either.
population_tire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Avatar is bad. I don't get why it needs sequels.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2