• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note's L Spinoff Film in U.S. Theaters in April

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:56 am Reply with quote
I was wanting to see this one, and I will try and find the time to go watch it. I wonder if they'll sell tickets at my work. Hopefully it can have a strong turnout for audiences.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:09 am Reply with quote
I am gonna see this. Dubbed saw it subbed already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bci110

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:36 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Hopefully it can have a strong turnout for audiences.

I think it will. The first two Death Note movies did fairly well in the theatres and L is a pretty popular character in the series so I feel that it will do well in the theatres come April. I'm definitely going to see it; it should be playing at the same theatre the other two movies were shown in my area.
KannaLilly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
It's not an amazing movie, but it's enjoyable, so I'll probably go see it.
Might even dig out an old cosplay like the geek I am Very Happy
But... as always, still on work on a Canadian theater release... sigh.
Daichi09

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I suggest you wait for the DVD, Fathom Events is not a great Venue. I've saw Bleach, both Death Note Movies, and Sword of the Stranger in Theater, all distributed though Fathom Events. They all had issues, which I discuss here. And since I saw Sword of the Stranger in a different theater I can confirm that it wasn't the theater with the issue, it was Fathom. For this quality, and the raising ticket prices, I've decided I'm not giving them anymore of my money.
Duke Evangelion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't miss screening of any anime related movie.

The atmosphere for both Death Note movies was amazing. But, we, Canadians, are probably gonna wait a little longer.
EricDent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Cool! I saw the other Death Note movies in the theater (did not have any problems that I noticed). Now I own them on DVD. Will definately try to go to this one!
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Daichi09 wrote:
I suggest you wait for the DVD, Fathom Events is not a great Venue. I've saw Bleach, both Death Note Movies, and Sword of the Stranger in Theater, all distributed though Fathom Events. They all had issues, which I discuss here. And since I saw Sword of the Stranger in a different theater I can confirm that it wasn't the theater with the issue, it was Fathom. For this quality, and the raising ticket prices, I've decided I'm not giving them anymore of my money.

I have to agree. I've been pretty disappointed with the quality of their film presentations. It's pathetic really.
tinlunlau

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
I can't believe I bought this movie on DVD. TWICE.
totally not worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
This is of interest to me, but I have two issues with seeing it, being the high price (Even I have to draw the line at $14. I'm not mad about it or anything, it's just getting above my price range.), and the purist Death Note manga/anime fans Anime cry

At the 2nd Death Note movie showing, there were a set of girls sitting behind me that made the comment "Ew. There wasn't a girl on the task force. Disappear. Ew. OMG. Why is she there? She wasn't there in the manga or anime. OMG. What the heck? OMG." generally every time the lady on the task force in the live action movies appeared.
And every time L breathed... yeah. "OMG! He's so "kawaii"!! He's EATING OMG!!!11!"

If I go, I'm going to make sure I sit near rational looking people this time =D
Mika20

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm totally missing out. I only saw the first movie, and still haven't got to see the second one.

This one looks very interesting. Can't wait to see it. Smile
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren_Otaku726 wrote:
Even I have to draw the line at $14.

I seriously hope that is just a thing your theater does, and not a uniform price. Otherwise it becomes Wednesday versus Thursday, sub versus dub, AND mallway-robbery versus pay a few dollars more to buy it. On the plus side, that third one can help make the other two moot, which does simplify the decision.
Zivil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm reading some differences in the movie-going experience, but I'm wondering about the movies themselves, particularly Death Notes 1 & 2. Amazon is currently having a big DVD sale and the first two Death Notes are going for $14.99.

They both seem to be highly rated, but I've usually been sorely disappointed in cross-medium adaptations. I've not been able to find anything regarding the live action movies in ANN's encyclopedia, and I guess that's to be expected considering they are live action and not anime or manga. So what do you people who have seen the movie(s) think about them?

The CG Ryuk and Ren seem to have been fairly well done if a bit plastic looking, kind of like giant figurines. Are they a distraction from the plot or the live characters or is it just something that is startling at first but is quickly gotten used to?

I would also like to read some opinions about the third movie by those that have seen it. Is it worth the buy once it comes out on R1 DVD?

Last edited by Zivil on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cait

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Price increase? When did this happen? I bought tickets for the Bleach movie and both Death Note movies online and paid no more than the standard $10 with the $1 handling fee. I also didn't have any issues with any of those films in the theater technically, and if there was a serious problem with sound or video for anyone, you should have brought it to the theater's attention. Often they will give you emergency tickets to come back and see another show in the future. I remember getting one when the sound at the showing of the latest Indiana Jones movie kept cutting in and out.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Daichi09 wrote:

And I went to see Sword of the Stranger and had a completely flawless experience, as did a few other people who commented on it at the time. It's entirely a your-mileage-may-vary situation. The $12.50 I paid for that particular event was rather steep, but I was just happy to get the chance to see it in a theater to begin with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2