• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, February 22-28

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:24 am Reply with quote
To bad this wasn't released years earlier, but it will be interesting to see if Fullmetal Alchemist sales picks up with the new series.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
I love The New York Times, and a graphic novel list is a great addition to the paper. As far as I know, they are the only American newspaper that actually serializes graphic novel pages in its Sunday magazine, despite their long-time stance against having a regular "Sunday comics" section.

This is a recognition that graphic novels and manga should be viewed as legitimate literature. I hope they start publishing this list in their Sunday Book Section, too.

This almost makes up for the time they separated children's books from their regular fiction list just to take Harry Potter off the top ten. Almost. Wink

Another point: Perspective, people! Sales are often greater right after a book comes out. I would be surprised if Fruits Basket didn't show up on the list after the last volume is released.

P.S. Woo-hoo for MPD Psycho!! I hope having an Eiji Otsuka book on there means a healthy outlook for Karasugi Corpse Delivery Service. Very Happy
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:32 am Reply with quote
It's really exciting to see Eden on that list. Good to see also MPD-Psycho, although I personally don't like that series (I prefer Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service). And I chuckle everytime I see hateful comments about Naruto from "grown-up" manga lovers. Naruto is popular because it's a damn good manga. Live with it.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:36 am Reply with quote
Actually, I thought it would be awsome to see Naruto totally dominating the NY Times list. That would be a crowning achievement to have all 10 slots. 8/10 is still really great. Congrats VIZ.

Now if VIZ would expend a similar marketing energy to Bleach, it hopefully could get up there too.
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote
Wow, a volume of Naruto has been 19 times in this list? Vampire Knight also appears to be selling great
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:25 am Reply with quote
What I'd like to see is a number of copies sold. This list provides very little information compared to Oricon charts from Japan.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:07 am Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
What I'd like to see is a number of copies sold. This list provides very little information compared to Oricon charts from Japan.

Bookscan operates like that, though they are usually only available for companies that pay to see them. However, the Tilting at Windmills segment on Comic Book Resources provides some Bookscan numbers for comics in general every year (since 2003!).
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=30752
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
The NYT Best Seller list, though a good indication of what's popular in books, isn't really "accurate" in numbers of actual books sold. The NYT gets their information from a weekly "survey" where bookseller opt into sending the NYTs a list of the ISBNs they sold for the past week. Book sellers are not required to send in the information of their sales, but a lot opt in because there are some benefits.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:14 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
I see that Naruto is doing well being 8 out of the top 10.

Good for Naruto but potentially bad for smaller series.

Laughing Laughing
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Why does the article link to this talkback?
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
VLOXY wrote:
This list is stupid.

It needs to be discontinued.

Most people who keep up with manga sales in North America understand that Naruto leads the pack.

This may change as the Narutards age and thus the list might become relevant.

Until then, the lack of comments in this thread prove that it is stupid.

Wow, somebody forgot to take the pills today
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
VLOXY wrote:
This may change as the Narutards age and thus the list might become relevant.

But by then we'll have another generation of ____tards rooting for the latest shounen manga, which the former Narutards will hate and make snarky comments about. Yeesh... wanna knock Naruto off the chart? Then spread the word on your favorite manga to get people to buy it!

[/b]and fans stop going to those illegal manga fan sites will also help too.[/b]

though once naruto and bleach ends , one piece will be taking over the reigns. that or attack of titan.

though not now considering how giddy the fans are for vol 64.especially those naruhina fanatics. though the cover is kinda misleading to say the least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
The talkback threads got mixed up. This thread is about 5 years old, back when they were releasing Naruto all over the place.

Anyway, for the actual list, I'm still happy to see Monster Musume on there! I'm glad it's selling so well!
Relairknight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
That's so awesome that Watamote is on there. I have never felt so sorry for a character in my life, Tomoko is just so hopelessly pitiful...and yet hilarious at the same time. Why they changed the title to be 57 words long I'll never understand though.

I bet it links to this old talkback on purpose, since someone was all omg why have this list, naruto fans are going to grow up and stop reading it. Well look who's still on top of the list 5 years later? Very Happy
lys

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Relairknight wrote:
That's so awesome that Watamote is on there. I have never felt so sorry for a character in my life, Tomoko is just so hopelessly pitiful...and yet hilarious at the same time. Why they changed the title to be 57 words long I'll never understand though.

The extravagantly long title is a translation of the original, which is "Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!" A translation of the abbreviated title would be something like "IPop."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3