• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tetsuya Kakihara Q&A with ANN

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:26 am Reply with quote
Really wish I could've been there! I'm happy to see that Kacky's music work was mentioned. The DVD for KiraFes 2012 will be released next month! Looking forward to it. ^^

I think a couple questions near the end have their answers switched. "Audience: Is it true that you did a cover of the Cutie Honey opening, and can you sing some for us?" and "Audience: Aside from Natsu of course, who is your favorite character in Fairy Tail?"
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote
I tried to get his autograph, but apparently he was only signing 100, and I was 105. I got there an hour early.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I tried to get his autograph, but apparently he was only signing 100, and I was 105. I got there an hour early.

Wow, only??? I asked a friend to get something signed for me. I wonder if she was able to get it signed. ;__;
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
The 100 limit was due to his managers, I knew about it ahead of time so I got to the autograph area 3 hours before. I am happy I managed to get his autograph.

Sadly to get the autograph I had to miss his panel. It sounds like it was great.

Edit: but I just got to hear Kaki in his Gundam panel, not a Gundam fan but it was a fantastic panel.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Awww, no mention of his performance as Shing in Tales of Hearts (and him and Marina Inoue talking to "themselves" in Atsumare! Tales ☆ Park)? I would have totally jumped on the chance to ask him about both.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:47 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
The 100 limit was due to his managers, I knew about it ahead of time

How did you know ahead of time? They certainly didn't advertise it. They didn't even mention it to the people in my part of the line until we had already spent two hours in it.

I was told it was Bandai who made the cap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
The 100 limit was due to his managers, I knew about it ahead of time

How did you know ahead of time? They certainly didn't advertise it. They didn't even mention it to the people in my part of the line until we had already spent two hours in it.

I was told it was Bandai who made the cap.

I only knew about it ahead of time because I hang out on the Otakon boards.

And you are right Bandai made the cap.

I am really sorry you had a not so great time at the con. I think sometimes there is a lack of communication and it's more about having experience at the con.

For example I know from experience to get to the autograph area early. Otakon usually announces the autograp line an hour before the autograph officially starts, but the line forms within seconds. I recommend getting in the autograph area at least an hour before the line forms, so 2 hours before the autograph starts.

There is never a guarantee for an autograph but you can gather info this way and can kind of tell who is going for the same autograph as you. It helps.

Also unfortunately the printed schedule is pretty useless since changes are made after it is printed. But Otakon now utilizes a great app called guidebook that is updated constantly. I didn't look at the printed schedule at all this year & just stuck with the app & it never steered me wrong.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
The problem is, the same thing happened to me in every autograph line I went in. And I always went at least an hour early. For Kakihara, I was an hour early so I went to use the restroom. By the time I came out, there were already plenty of people lined up, but I thought for sure I'd get an autograph this time. Nope.

If there hadn't been a cap, I definitely would have gotten an autograph.

I even heard that after I left the Aya Hirano autograph line after her concert when the staff cut it off and said nobody past a certain point would receive an autograph, they extended the time she had.

I spent six hours in autograph lines and didn't get a single autograph. Maybe I should have tried caring about Peter S. Beagle.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
The Aya Hirano autograph was a different situation entirely. I didn't get that one either, although I didn't try after I saw the line forming.

I heard everyone who stayed got one, but that is only because a lot of people left after they were told they didn't have a chance and apparently Aya stayed 30 minutes longer.

But what I am trying to say is an hour isn't necesarilly enough time for Otakon's regular autograph policy. As I said the line is formed an hour before the autograph starts. In a couple seconds this line is full. If you arrive after this you are either going to not get in the line or be one of the last ones with less of a guarantee. You never know how much the guest will sign so I always try to be as close to the front as possible.

Now 2 to 3 hours might be over kill but it gives me peace of mind and let's me gather information. I talk to the staff to confirm when the line will form. I talk to other fans also waiting for the autograph, etc.

Just some advice if you decide to go for autograps next year.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice, but I doubt I'm ever going back to Otakon.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Wow, only??? I asked a friend to get something signed for me. I wonder if she was able to get it signed. ;__;

Friend got back to me yesterday and said she got an autograph! Whoo hoo! Apparently she was like, third to last from the cut-off. PHEW! 'Said she stood in line for 2 hours.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1