• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
If I can ask such a newbie question

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Imperial_Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:19 am Reply with quote
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm too lazy to search for it :p

I know what a Light Novel is, but I'm curious about them, because they seem to be pretty much a Japanese specific cultural phenomenon. Are light novels the main form of print entertainment that's read in Japan? Are they really big like traditional novels are here? And why don't we have many light novel equivalents in this country, or why are traditional novels not as popular in Japan anymore?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:10 am Reply with quote
As I understand it, what Japan calls "light novels" roughly equates to what we call "young adult" novels in the States. They are very popular, but only a segment of the overall Japanese book market.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zhir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:45 am Reply with quote
There are plenty of traditional novels in Japan, they're just less likely to be translated. For an example of one that has, see Kafka on the Shore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1