• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Vampire Hunter D PVC

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to randomly mention that while I have almost absolutely no interest in figures, I love your column.
Rika-chama

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
D's hand reminds me of Hamburger Helper's glove mascot Shocked
irishninja

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Rika-chama wrote:
D's hand reminds me of Hamburger Helper's glove mascot Shocked

I imagine hunting vampires for a living works up quite an appetite. Wink

Oh right, and back on topic: While it's cool a company sent you a freebie, Rob, I find it bizarre that they would lead off with something so abysmal. More shocking to me is that the license owners of Vampire Hunter D actually approved those figurines. They're just terrible. Confused
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
Bah, I work for a review site and get free books to review all the time. It's a common thing, so much for they've got a name for what they send, ARCs (advance review copies). Companies are just happy to get the exposure. They know that one bad review won't kill them. And that it just means that any positive review they get here is for real.

And too, since Rob was completely transparent about all of it, I see nothing wrong whatsoever with him receiving and reviewing the product.

I'd not read this column before but since I was curious about this set of figures I did. I have to say I've not laughed so hard at an ANN column in months. Thanks for the informative and entertaining look at the figures.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
It depends on the company. Funimation sends stuff to me, I mail those out. Viz has a few of our critics on their PR lists, and those people get whatever they decide to send out. Some other companies send stuff to me directly, some to the critics themselves.

I though that the stuff you got for review was then used for prices or such, nice to know how it really works.

Cheers!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote
"She's dead Jim!"

Oh gawd that was funny. Wow finally 'Vampire Hunter D' figures. Now if they only had a Famika I think that would have been a nice addition.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
We don't get much Vampire Hunter D merchandise as it is and then for some to finally come out, only to be done badly, is a big disappointment. Angel's Egg is the only thing I can think off which has managed to successfully translate Amano's drawings to another medium. But, considering the fate of other light novel series, I should probably just be glad that the books are still coming out.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I would have thought D looked like Michael Jackson. Hopefully, Dark Horse can somewhat take this review into consideration to see how they can possibly work on those little parts that have received criticism.
hell_xtremedawg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Great review, hilarious pictures.

Might want to fix up the various typo's though, unless the imperfect language is there to accompany the figures Wink .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
My god. D looks like Dr. Frank-N-Furter. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RiskyTheShinigami

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I lol'ed at that hand. I lol'ed so hard. I can't look at it without bursting out laughing.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
Registered just to comment on this, being a huge D fan. I'm really disappointed in the quality of these figures, especially when you consider the high quality of the various Vampire Hunter D resin model kits and statues that have been produced by Kotobukiya.

Their "Nightmare" kit is freaking amazing, especially when in the hands of a skilled painter:

(http://www.coolminiornot.com/212527)

Hopefully Dark Horse will get it together and produce some better merchandise, because I can't bring myself to buy these PVC figures.
tyciol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:10 am Reply with quote
Egads this is one of the most hilarious exposees ever written. It just got funnier and funnier and then the hand at the end Smile Good touch with Zatch and whoever the other anime char was.
fighterholic wrote:
I would have thought D looked like Michael Jackson. Hopefully, Dark Horse can somewhat take this review into consideration to see how they can possibly work on those little parts that have received criticism.
Hm, maybe he can play him in the live adaptation? Much better than the guy playing in those Twilight movies who I'm sure they'd prefer to choose.
morgansdoor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if you guys have seen the two Vampire Hunter D busts that are coming out, but they look incredible:

http://www.tfaw.com/Search?quick_sstring=vampire+hunter+D+bust&_results_sstype_search=

Kinda makes up for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2