• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Hollywood Company Acquiring Manga Remake Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akatsukinotobi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
They say that they've gotten about $200 million dollars, and they plan on investing $20-$30 million in each movie. Now, I don't work in the movie industry, but don't movies usually have a larger budget than that?

Seems like they're just gonna go cheap with these and go straight-to-DVD/BD with most of these. I mean...seriously. How can you make a Joust movie? You fly around on an ostrich (or stork) and try to pop other knight's balloons to make them fall (as eggs). Also, avoid the pterodactyl.

I just don't see this as being anything substantial as far as them truly wanting to make any money...or at least produce quality movies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, if they chose to make movies which require less special effects, like a Shoujo manga, then $20-30 million is perfectly fine. I mean, why would you need $100 million to make, say, an Azumanga Daioh flick?
kensukeyura

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Probably going against the grain here, but I'm all for Hollywood anime remakes. An addition to my favorite franchise is an addition to my favorite franchise, and it makes me happy. I'm always surprised by how cynical people are - "No god please, don't make more stuff for us fans! The series should fade into obscurity ASAP!" Rolling Eyes

Anyway, a Death Note remake would be epic win. I hope it goes through! A lot of the characters are/look Caucasian anyway, so Hollywood Death Note could potentially be more visually accurate than the Japanese live-action version was, with its dark-haired Misa. o.O
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
kensukeyura wrote:
Anyway, a Death Note remake would be epic win. I hope it goes through! A lot of the characters are/look Caucasian anyway, so Hollywood Death Note could potentially be more visually accurate than the Japanese live-action version was, with its dark-haired Misa. o.O

And I suppose we should rename everyone with Western names to match the white actors playing them? Reset the whole thing in America? Change it so it's "Death Note" in name only? Yeah, because that's worked so well for most Asian horror movie remakes... Rolling Eyes
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Actually, almost everyone in Death Note was Japanese. And Misa's hair was probably understood to be dyed. But not everyone was Japanese and at least one part of it took place in America. So it's not too far of a stretch for an American adaptation. Plus, even though most of the main characters will probably be cast as white, they don't necessarily have to be since America is not as racially homogenous as Japan.
Also, I don't see Death Note as being a "Japanese" story; it could take place just about anywhere. As for the shinigami; I believe most cultures have a grim reaper/ death god mythology, so even that wouldn't be a problem. Plus, I don't think Ryuk even conforms to the traditional Japanese shinigami mythos.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Good luck to you Cerenzie-Peters Productions. Learn from the mistakes of Speed Racer.
The only lesson to be learned from Speed Racer is don't release your movie at the same time as a mainstream block buster Marval, or DC comic hero movie like Iron Man. Wink Some of the best movies have been made by independants with virtually no money. Slumdogs anyone?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming these remakes, whatever they shall be, are being aimed primarily at the fans of the original. Either that or they're just a convenient source for new storylines.
If the former is the case, do the studios involved take into account how the film's profits may be affected by the possibility of a divide within the existing fanbase caused by it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
akatsukinotobi wrote:
They say that they've gotten about $200 million dollars, and they plan on investing $20-$30 million in each movie. Now, I don't work in the movie industry, but don't movies usually have a larger budget than that?

That depends. How long you make the movie is one thing, then there's actors, on top of production, the crew, etc. Some of the greatest movies considered have made plenty of money and have gotten many followers with budgets of less than one million.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
akatsukinotobi wrote:

That depends. How long you make the movie is one thing, then there's actors, on top of production, the crew, etc. Some of the greatest movies considered have made plenty of money and have gotten many followers with budgets of less than one million.

But it's likely that they're going to try to make big action blockbuster types. And if you have a low budget what you end up with is cheesy CG effects. If they are adapting slice-of-life, that's different, but it's highly doubtful they will.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

But it's likely that they're going to try to make big action blockbuster types. And if you have a low budget what you end up with is cheesy CG effects. If they are adapting slice-of-life, that's different, but it's highly doubtful they will.

Considering they will probably hit C-list titles (and by that I mean in terms of popularity) I think they can stretch a budget of 30 Million to make a decent movie. Cloverfield was made with a budget of 25 Million, and ended up grossing $200 Million. Heck, Disturbia was made on a budget of $20 Million. Both of those films turned out decent.
bdogthehog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Actually, almost everyone in Death Note was Japanese. And Misa's hair was probably understood to be dyed. But not everyone was Japanese and at least one part of it took place in America. So it's not too far of a stretch for an American adaptation. Plus, even though most of the main characters will probably be cast as white, they don't necessarily have to be since America is not as racially homogenous as Japan.
Also, I don't see Death Note as being a "Japanese" story; it could take place just about anywhere. As for the shinigami; I believe most cultures have a grim reaper/ death god mythology, so even that wouldn't be a problem. Plus, I don't think Ryuk even conforms to the traditional Japanese shinigami mythos.

Well regardless, I thought the live action movies of Death Note were pretty good and very entertaining. I would love to see a remake attempt.

I also say full steam ahead on all the projects, we aren't the ones investing our livelihoods into the sink or swim of the projects and as fans of anime and manga I think it will be interesting to see a new take on stories and concepts we already love and have our own view on. Worst comes to worst, don't watch whatever they make.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I'm assuming these remakes, whatever they shall be, are being aimed primarily at the fans of the original. Either that or they're just a convenient source for new storylines.
If the former is the case, do the studios involved take into account how the film's profits may be affected by the possibility of a divide within the existing fanbase caused by it?

How large do you think the anime/manga fanbase is that they will even care if it's divided? How many internet anime nerds do you really think they are banking on to come see these movies, and why would they limit themselves to such a niche demographic of proven non-payers? No I think they are going to take these ideas and run with them for a general audience. If they lose 50% of the anime nerds, let's say 5 million, but gain 50 million tweens going gaga over the latest (whether they know it or not) shōjo or josei heartthrob TLC movie, then I don't think they will care very much.

Whether they turn out any good or not is of course very debatable and a matter of opinion. As with anytime companies take aim at an entire medium looking for adaptation, and then take a wide swath of titles to bring to market, some turds will be made. Just like the American comic books, or sequential art or whatever else God awful name kids are calling them these days. But I also bet some of these will turn out really good. But who really expects them all to turn out to be gems, it's kind of unrealistic but that's what I am hearing a lot of these days.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If they are adapting slice-of-life, that's different, but it's highly doubtful they will.

With all the big dogs clamoring for the action titles, it's a better chance they won't go after them. Not saying that's what they will end up doing, but action movies aren't the only movies that make money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, 20 to 30 million a film sounds about right . . . depending on how special-effects heavy it gets. Something like, I'unno, a Sailor Moon movie would look pretty shoddy with a budget like that, but most any sports, school life, or romance manga would turn out fine.

I'm kind of hoping these guys (if they ever do get off their butts and adapt something) go for older or more obscure manga . . . if only to up the chances of them getting licensed or re-released by Viz or the like. x3
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
akatsukinotobi wrote:
Now, I don't work in the movie industry, but don't movies usually have a larger budget than that?
The average for Hollywood is something like $100 million now but you've got a lot of wasted money in movie productions. Take Spielberg's War of the Worlds. Remember the plane they showed that the aliens had taken down? From what I read, Spielberg got what amounted to a brand new plane at near top dollar and cut it up for that very short scene.

Contrast that with Lost's opening episodes and scenes with the plane's parts, which were filmed on a massively reduced budget with a plane dragged in from what amounts to a plane graveyard. It you ask me, the low budget version looks considerably better.

Basically, the budget affects who is cast and who directs and things like that more than anything else. Clearly, they aren't planning to cast Brad Pitt in any of these movies. Still, there are some excellent actors that can be hired for relatively low cost. Very good effects are possible at low cost as well if you hire people who are creative and can actually make effects instead of just relying on the computer to make everything all sparkly. (Seriously, CGI is great and all but when you use it smooth out more traditional effects and makeup, it works better in my opinion. You've got to have a lot of time and a lot of dedication to make pure-CGI look awesome.)

In terms of scripting, one of the big obstacles there is usually having either a "genius" director who has his/her own "brilliant" ideas about where the plot should go or you have producers who want to have their say. Often in the case of producers they have a mentality that people going to see movies are stupid so things should be dummied down or changed so as not to confuse us or they have a "message" they think she be gotten across to people. Many a good movie has been ruined by being little more than propaganda dressed up as entertainment.

If this company has a more "stick to what the fans want" mentality then live-action adaptions could be a very good thing. If they're more like Uwe Boll. . . . Well, we've still got the original material right?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
No I think they are going to take these ideas and run with them for a general audience. If they lose 50% of the anime nerds, let's say 5 million, but gain 50 million tweens going gaga over the latest (whether they know it or not) shōjo or josei heartthrob TLC movie, then I don't think they will care very much.

Oh well. In tough economic times, at least the folk involved can be sure they'll be able to put food on their tables.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4