• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Taiwanese Murder Suspect Reportedly Blames Gunnm Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I am so sick of video games (especially video games), anime/manga, other comics, other forms of entertainment being blamed for: poor parenting, lack of self control/personal responsibility, idiocy, etc.

Actually, I'm far more sick of people taking the blame for video games and anime/manga seriously than the act blaming them, it's like no one thinks that they're crying wolf on this (well, except the people who actually play/watch/read this stuff without going insane and then blaming them)

Sorry, this is just one of my biggest pet peeves.
seconed
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
^ I triple that!

If anyone thought the world of Hogwarts is actually real (asides from Universtal Studios' recreation of it.... >.>), they need to re-think their lives a bit more. Also, how many people are carrying around Death Notes?

LondinCalling wrote:
I guess those Chinese that attacked Americans during the beijing olympics were all brainwashed by Japanese manga also.

Hope you know Chinese =/= Taiwanese
Taiwan has a blend of Japanese culture influence on their part.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
Grand Theft auto made me do it.

OK, thanks for the Jack Thompson reference.

doctordoom85 wrote:
In other news, Kishimoto has apologized for a recent criminal who blamed the Naruto manga for his behavior of kidnapping 9 random pets and tied them all to explosives to "destroy a nation", Hiroya Oku has apologized for a recent criminal who blamed the Gantz manga for shooting dozens of innocent civilians so that they could all play laser tag later, and Hideaki Anno has apologized for a recent criminal who blamed the Evangelion series for his adopting 3 teenagers and submitting them to insane mental torture.

That's what JT probably wants out of video game industry. The apologies and the fall of the industry.

Quote:

That's true, most of Taiwan doesn't want anything to do with mainland China which killed a lot of Tibetan monks, Killed and harvested organs from Falun Gong Practictioner, and doing bunch of censorship, and killing people during the Tianammen Square Protest.

If you think the blaming Battle Angel is bad, read this from Gamepolitics. British and American people are going after a hentai video game.

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/02/11/british-mp-keith-vaz-criticizes-japanese-rape-game039s-availability-amazon

Cueing anime haters on youtube making video siding with the Taiwan's authority and proving manga are "murder simulator" in

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Altorrin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Way to support the industry. Neutral
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I am so sick of video games (especially video games), anime/manga, other comics, other forms of entertainment being blamed for: poor parenting, lack of self control/personal responsibility, idiocy, etc.

Actually, I'm far more sick of people taking the blame for video games and anime/manga seriously than the act blaming them, it's like no one thinks that they're crying wolf on this (well, except the people who actually play/watch/read this stuff without going insane and then blaming them)

Sorry, this is just one of my biggest pet peeves.

There's always twinkies.

I seem to recall the Night Stalker's sister also tried to blame junk food for her brother's crimes.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Unknown Memory wrote:

So was Korea. However, the licensed plate "2MBOUT" on a car in Ride Back anime caused a big fuss recently.

mdo7 wrote:
That's true, most of Taiwan doesn't want anything to do with mainland China which killed a lot of Tibetan monks, Killed and harvested organs from Falun Gong Practictioner, and doing bunch of censorship, and killing people during the Tianammen Square Protest.

Your knowledge of East Asian geopolitics is so poor that is laughable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Unknown Memory wrote:

So was Korea. However, the licensed plate "2MBOUT" on a car in Ride Back anime caused a big fuss recently.

mdo7 wrote:

Your knowledge of East Asian geopolitics is so poor that is laughable.

What do you mean by that. You didn't know the government of China killed people in Tibet, they also harvested Falu Gong Practictioners' organ. What about what they said about they give some of their hardware to Sudan to help with what happen to Darfur. Unless you deny those or you like what China is doing, then you're very laughable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
It's unfortunate actually how these people because they don't have jobs or they don't want to live anymore that they go out and kill other people to grab attention. Because that's basically what it is. Just sad.

I agree with you, its really sad. I don't like seeing people hurt (unless they are really bad people and have hurt others), I really hope the familes are able to recover from this act of pointless anger.

How do these types of people become like this? What happened when these people were younger? Did these people have no family interaction or friends when they were young? What makes this even more sad is that is all could have been prevented.

Blaming an act of crime on manga is completely ludcrious. So can we blame sports players fortaking steroids because of shonen sports manga/anime?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:15 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
There's always twinkies.

I seem to recall the Night Stalker's sister also tried to blame junk food for her brother's crimes.

Ah yes. The Twinkie made me do it. Recently was reminded of this when that movie Milk came out. There have been crazier excuses used for killing people than a book or, now, video games. Still, are we gonna hold JD Salinger for the death of John Lennon or the mentally ill guy that pulled the trigger? Whether a book, video game, or manga facilitated some illness, the person still went down that path to kill another human being.

Plus, as a long time reader of the manga, I have no idea how this relates. Though people make their own connections to justify whatever they want. Maybe somewhere in this mind, in some twisted way, it fits.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:02 am Reply with quote
Words from Shueisha PR Dept: "No comment."

Quote:
集英社広報室は「事件自体を承知していないので、コメントのしようがない」と話している。
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Kireek wrote:

doctordoom85 wrote:
In other news, Kishimoto has apologized for a recent criminal who blamed the Naruto manga for his behavior of kidnapping 9 random pets and tied them all to explosives to "destroy a nation", Hiroya Oku has apologized for a recent criminal who blamed the Gantz manga for shooting dozens of innocent civilians so that they could all play laser tag later, and Hideaki Anno has apologized for a recent criminal who blamed the Evangelion series for his adopting 3 teenagers and submitting them to insane mental torture.

That's what JT probably wants out of video game industry. The apologies and the fall of the industry.

Just to point this out, for those who haven't heard, Jack Thompson was disbarred from the courts in Florida, so yea, bringing up references about that at this point in time is kinda wierd since he can't really threaten games outside of the media, you know, the same people who claim he's a video game expert and whatnot. If you want something that's a lil more up to date about scapegoating games try http://ps3.qj.net/-Gaming-is-death-ad-kicks-up-a-row-Tiga-files-complaint-Sony-considering-legal-action/pg/49/aid/129357

I think dormcat was also pointing out something similar in terms of your knowledge of Chinese happenings, in that all your examples are rather out of date and only bash China. That said, he probably found it a moot point to tell you this as with most things like this you end up only talking to a wall.

Now with the somewhat OT stuff out of the way, I'm glad those 2 news sources pointed out what he was really up to, trying to shift blame. People that do that are just trying to find a scapegoat for their actions, which is rather sickening since it usually implies that they expect sympathy for their actions in a world which has little to none.
HulluKId

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
hmm wondering why he didn't blame video game...
maybe because alot people have been blaming video game soo he wanted to be more unique...

if i ever do something like this i shall blame news for reporting such violenced acts that make me want to copy those :/
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Kireek wrote:

doctordoom85 wrote:

Just to point this out, for those who haven't heard, Jack Thompson was disbarred from the courts in Florida, so yea, bringing up references about that at this point in time is kinda wierd since he can't really threaten games outside of the media, you know, the same people who claim he's a video game expert and whatnot. If you want something that's a lil more up to date about scapegoating games try http://ps3.qj.net/-Gaming-is-death-ad-kicks-up-a-row-Tiga-files-complaint-Sony-considering-legal-action/pg/49/aid/129357

I think dormcat was also pointing out something similar in terms of your knowledge of Chinese happenings, in that all your examples are rather out of date and only bash China. That said, he probably found it a moot point to tell you this as with most things like this you end up only talking to a wall.

Now with the somewhat OT stuff out of the way, I'm glad those 2 news sources pointed out what he was really up to, trying to shift blame. People that do that are just trying to find a scapegoat for their actions, which is rather sickening since it usually implies that they expect sympathy for their actions in a world which has little to none.

I'm a huge gamer. I'm aware of JT's disbarment. but that hasn't stop him from going after video game. He's working with Utah Legislation to try to control video game. Do you read Gamepolitics?? I think you might want to look at this.

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/02/11/utah-legislator-officially-submits-jack-thompson-video-game-bill

He's trying to get the US Supreme Court to bring him back as a lawyer. See this for yourselves.

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/02/23/jack-thompson-appeals-disbarment-us-supreme-court

About me bash China?? I don't do that, I bash their government because of their attrocius act. I never hate China, I like their culture, histories, and the cuisine. I would never hate China, but I do hate communism because of many bad deeds to their people. Just yesterday, I heard the news that China "owns South China Sea" even though that's international water.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/03/10/us.navy.china/index.html
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
What do you mean by that. You didn't know the government of China killed people in Tibet, they also harvested Falu Gong Practictioners' organ. What about what they said about they give some of their hardware to Sudan to help with what happen to Darfur. Unless you deny those or you like what China is doing, then you're very laughable.

He probably knows more about Chinese/Taiwan politics than you'll learn in college. If you would just look at his location, you would probably understand that he does indeed know what he's talking about.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Mikuru wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
i hate when people blame other thing for what they did. i miss the good old days when u didn't blame tv or games

Strangely enough, people used to blame BOOKS.

"Mein Kampf made me do it!!!" Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3