• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Missing Reported Anime Con-Goer from Oklahoma Found

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
thats good, glad she's okay and that they arrested the guy.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
I'm still waiting to hear from the girl myself. So far all we have is a note that may, or may not, have been written by her. I fully agree that the man should be prosecuted over this as she is a minor. Regardless though I do want to know if this was all his idea or if she had a hand in it. Either way I think some psychiatric treatment would be a benefit for her. At least she's alive and safe though.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:05 am Reply with quote
I still want to hear her side of what happened.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Police are seeking to add felony kidnapping charges to Reimer's existing charges for allegedly soliciting sexual conduct or communications with a minor by the use of technology.

Wait, so talking to minors with technology is a felon now? Half the internet should be in jail if that's true. Or maybe this is just pertaining to sexual stuff? In that case, they're just assuming he had sexual intents because he hung out with her for a month? The fact that she never tried to call home or escape or anything seems to imply she wasn't kidnapped(at least not involuntarily). But we do need to hear her side of the story.

Good to know she's okay though. These things can turn out badly all too easily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:38 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I still want to hear her side of what happened.

Either she's gonna play the "victim" or she's gonna be committed to the looney bin for a year or so. Either way, she's gonna be screwed royally.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:59 am Reply with quote
So then these charges for "soliciting sexual conduct or communications with a minor by the use of technology" are in relation to a separate issue? Is that what the pending charges mentioned in the original article are?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:17 am Reply with quote
It's good to know no one is dead in this case but the whole thing sounds shady and a bit off. Would very much like to be a fly on the wall when everyone is being questioned.

At the very least, I'm glad that as far as the Con-Goer aspect, things seem to have been resolved well since she's fine and wasn't actually found at a con. There probably won't be much impact on them due to this.

Now hopefully the police will sort out who did what and the legal system will set about, again hopefully, punishing the guilty in proportion to their misdeeds.
Emichan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
I am glad this girl was found.

Did they ever find that girl who took off and went to Japan on her own?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:28 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Quote:
Police are seeking to add felony kidnapping charges to Reimer's existing charges for allegedly soliciting sexual conduct or communications with a minor by the use of technology.

Wait, so talking to minors with technology is a felon now? Half the internet should be in jail if that's true. Or maybe this is just pertaining to sexual stuff?

I believe they are charging him under this statute.

RogueJedi86 wrote:
In that case, they're just assuming he had sexual intents because he hung out with her for a month? The fact that she never tried to call home or escape or anything seems to imply she wasn't kidnapped(at least not involuntarily). But we do need to hear her side of the story.

You forget that, as a legal minor, she is legally incapable of giving consent. If they had sex, then the case is pretty much open-and-shut, though there will doubtless be a great deal of leeway in the sentencing, if the girl was willing.

In any case, allow me to (once again) remind everybody that we have almost no information to go on, and that wild speculation is undignified -- and will get this thread locked.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:49 am Reply with quote
Guess they're absconding to Canada?

Heh, to do a routine traffic violation when ya know there's already a bounty on your head.... Laughing
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:50 am Reply with quote
Emichan wrote:

Did they ever find that girl who took off and went to Japan on her own?

to my knowledge no, but i could be wrong.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:52 am Reply with quote
Washington State, huh? Long way from Kansas Oklahoma. Or California. Or Mexico for that matter, which is where some believed they were originally intending to head.

Teenagers make bad decisions; that's what being a teenager is all about. To go off like that with an older man (no matter how much she knew him) is in a higher league than the troubles most teenagers bring on themselves. But while the scope (and potential consequences) may have been far more severe than usual, the emotions behind those bad decisions were typical. What I'm trying to say is that everyone has to make mistakes, but some kids will manage to make more trouble than others. They shouldn't really be punished for it any more severely because of it. She needs to get on with her life. If she knows where she went wrong, then she doesn't need counselling so much as a clear goal.

At any rate I am glad she is safe, though I never had much sympathy for her. I hope she's learnt her lesson(s), and that this is the last time miss Fourzan decides to do anything so stupid again. We (and her no doubt worried parents) can only pray.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:02 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

You forget that, as a legal minor, she is legally incapable of giving consent.

Don't you have a law for Sexual consent? Here a minor over 13 can consent to have sex with an adult and He/she won't be prosecuted.

Jeez, you need to loosen up.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote
Rolando_jose wrote:
abunai wrote:

You forget that, as a legal minor, she is legally incapable of giving consent.

Don't you have a law for Sexual consent? Here a minor over 13 can consent to have sex with an adult and He/she won't be prosecuted.

She is a "legal minor" in the U.S. sense, and would be so in most jurisdictions of the world. Even where the age of sexual consent is set lower than the age of legal competence, it is seldom set this low.

Rolando_jose wrote:
Jeez, you need to loosen up.

You need to think twice before hitting the "Submit" button.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote
I'm just glad that she's safe. That could have been a very dangerous situation.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3