• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ah My Buddha DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Key, I'm not complaining about your reviews but in the way in which certain genres of anime seem to always have bad reviews. I've noticed that anime that's usually based on fan service, ecchi, or romantic-comedy anime seem to always get bad reviews.

If the series doesn't have action, mecha, sci-fi or adventure and has a quick moving pace, that most of ANN's reviews on these type of shows are generally negative. It's like those telemarketers who are reading from a script and they follow that script to the letter.

Just that there a quite a few ANN visitors who think that the reviews are too biased. I've written some pretty good reviews on anime releases that weren't as biased as most of ANN's. Matter of fact, I rely more on reading reviews from fans who have bought the releases than I do from professional sites such as ANN.

The problem is that ANN Staff are more along the lines of professional critics and are tainted by certain typer of anime.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Key, I'm not complaining about your reviews but in the way in which certain genres of anime seem to always have bad reviews. I've noticed that anime that's usually based on fan service, ecchi, or romantic-comedy anime seem to always get bad reviews.

If the series doesn't have action, mecha, sci-fi or adventure and has a quick moving pace, that most of ANN's reviews on these type of shows are generally negative. It's like those telemarketers who are reading from a script and they follow that script to the letter.

Just that there a quite a few ANN visitors who think that the reviews are too biased. I've written some pretty good reviews on anime releases that weren't as biased as most of ANN's. Matter of fact, I rely more on reading reviews from fans who have bought the releases than I do from professional sites such as ANN.

The problem is that ANN Staff are more along the lines of professional critics and are tainted by certain typer of anime.

Eh, I'm not sure I can really trust YOUR word when you say who've written reviews that are less biased than ANN. I mean, you're not exactly in a position to comment objectively.

Not that I'm entirely discounting the idea that ANN has done flawed reviews before. In a recent discussion regarding ANN reviews of moe related shows, I did comment on the tone of some of even the more positive reviews having negative implications, so I'm not exactly some person who thinks ANN is some holy bastian of objectivety and perfect reviews. I'm sure they make mistakes at times. But isn't it also possible this whole "bias" issue is being overstated, as an easy way to argue anytime a show you like get's bashed?

From reading this review, I didn't really get the impression that Theron hates ecchi or fanservice shows, or that light-hearted romantic comedies can't be enjoyable. He specifically stated that the concept behind the show could easily work with only a small amount of cleverness. The impression I got from this review was that "this show tries to be a light-hearted ecchi comedy, but isn't funny or sexy." Of course, others may disagree about the quality of the show and whether it succeeds or not. I haven't seen the show myself, so I can't really judge.

But perhaps part of the reason why some people see a bias against ecchi shows is because it's so easy for a bad show to throw in a bunch of fanservice just to try and make the show more popular. After all, "sex sells", as the old saying goes. So if you have a show you don't think is going to do well, add on a bunch of fanservice and hope it sells.

Thus, it's not that "ecchi is bad" it's that "bad shows like to use ecchi as a crutch to increase their popularity." At least that's one possibility I see.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

Éverybody doesn't start out as a professional. They get better over time, and preferences may change over time. If you don't like the reviews here, and am going to complain about every single one as you're making out to be, while are you even hanging around ANN then? Everybody is going to have their different opinions, it just so happens that you're reading the reviews of the people entrusted by ANN and the industry to review the item.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
WOW, fighterholic. You make it your responsibility to insult other members? It's obvious you don't respect my opinion.

ANN has been at this for more than just a short time. And I've noticed a consistantly in this. It's why when I need an honest review of an anime, Amazon is generally the first site I'll check. There you have a more honest review of various DVD releases that aren't hindered by a biased view camoflaged under a professional review.

You would think that ANN would have a system set up where its community members could post their own reviews, such as like Amazon or Best Buy. At least then there would be fair and balanced reviews by the very same anime fans who have bought the releases. Here, you have a single review that is more editorial than anything else.
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
WOW, fighterholic. You make it your responsibility to insult other members? It's obvious you don't respect my opinion.

I'd assume because it's old often repeated and completely incorrect opinion.

Quote:

ANN has been at this for more than just a short time. And I've noticed a consistantly in this. It's why when I need an honest review of an anime, Amazon is generally the first site I'll check. There you have a more honest review of various DVD releases that aren't hindered by a biased view camoflaged under a professional review.

See the problem here is that many harem anime are indeed bad. That doesn't mean they aren't entertaining, but they majority of people are going to be able to find something better to spend their money on than titles like Ah! My Buddha.

Quote:

You would think that ANN would have a system set up where its community members could post their own reviews, such as like Amazon or Best Buy. At least then there would be fair and balanced reviews by the very same anime fans who have bought the releases. Here, you have a single review that is more editorial than anything else.

What a joke. Unedited and amatuer reviews tend to be overwhelmingly biased. A quick browsing of the various sites that do allow user reviews should show that well enough. Amazon reviews for instance tend to consistently be a joke. I was taking a look at a pair of head phones for instance: dozens of people were given it one star because the cord was too short for their likings. Of course what they all failed to notice was that it was intended to be short, was mentioned in the product write up and people were consistently saying that they sounded amazing for their price, and it all could be solved with a extension cable.

Last edited by babbo on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Eh... since when did fighterholic insult you, Colonel Wolfe?

I actually think a "reader review" system of some sort might be a good thing for ANN. But I don't think fan reviews are normally any better than professional reviews, it's just that there's usually a lot more of them. That allows one to read a lot of varied opinions, which can be useful.

And the reviews of anime here are probably just as "honest" as any other, they simply happen to disagree with you a lot. There are some reviews here I myself strongly disagree with, but I highly doubt Carl was lying about his Death Note views. I still can't wrap my mind around that particular opinion, but dishonest? No, I don't think so.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Mad, that definitely would be a better system. I know when I'm looking at Amazon reviews, I don't generally concentrate on one or two reviews, I'll look at the first two pages of reviews and decide then on if I want to pick it up. It's a good thing to have these user generated reviews but ANN would never incorporate a system like that because they would have their own members contradicting the reviews of their current staff.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Mad, that definitely would be a better system. I know when I'm looking at Amazon reviews, I don't generally concentrate on one or two reviews, I'll look at the first two pages of reviews and decide then on if I want to pick it up. It's a good thing to have these user generated reviews but ANN would never incorporate a system like that because they would have their own members contradicting the reviews of their current staff.

Because they complete avoid being contradicted by members now with the Talkback forum. [/sarcasm]

Your problem: You disagree with the reviewer.
Solution: Find out what aspects you disagree with the reviewers on. Reinterpret the information accordingly. If you're willing to think at all, it's not hard.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

I doubt that's why ANN hasn't incorperated a user review system: afterall, they have a user rating system, have talkback threads where people often (strongly) disagree with their reviews, and sometimes their own staff members contradict the reviews of other current staff members. Compare Carl's Death Note review's to Casey's or Theron's, or look at the way Carlos viewed Vampire Knight and compare it to Casey's reviews, etc, etc.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
It's why when I need an honest review of an anime, Amazon is generally the first site I'll check. There you have a more honest review of various DVD releases that aren't hindered by a biased view camoflaged under a professional review.

Please give me an example of what you call an "honest review." As far as I can see here all of the reviews here on ANN reflect the "honest" opinions of the crew reviewing said anime series, how they feel about them. If they were being dishonest with themselves, and just trying to cater to only an audience that cares about the title, then certainly would be biased, don't you think? Either way of whether they like it or dislike it, it would be a biased opinion.

Colonel Wolfe wrote:

The system that they have set up right now is what makes ANN what it is in the first place. If they were to cater to your needs then it would make them like the places you have just mentioned. Also, keep in mind that ANN doesn't SELL stuff. If they were to let the fans post what they thought about the title they review, which I guarantee would have its own bias problem, then ANN would end up like any other fan site out there.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

The system that they have set up right now is what makes ANN what it is in the first place. If they were to cater to your needs then it would make them like the places you have just mentioned. Also, keep in mind that ANN doesn't SELL stuff. If they were to let the fans post what they thought about the title they review, which I guarantee would have its own bias problem, then ANN would end up like any other fan site out there.

I don't know about that. There's a difference between just being a site that just collects/posts fan reviews, and being a site that offers critical reviews but also allows a user review system. I know a lot of video game sites have a user review system, in addition to the official reviews.

For whatever reason, ANN doesn't have that. Perhaps the powers that be don't want a user review system for various reasons, or perhaps they just haven't gotten around to adding one yet. I don't think anyone from ANN has ever commented on that idea, though perhaps I am wrong.
Tigergal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
Oh, God I can't believe MediaBlasters dubbed this crap! Shocked

Well, I'm at least hoping they dub Inukami! lol It's the greatest compared to this in my opinion Laughing

(An it was realesed in the year 2005 just like Ah My Budda)

Cross your fingers Inukami Fans! Very Happy
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

Let me clear up one misconception for you (and anyone else who may think this way) right now:

We professional reviewers - at least at this site, anyway - are not shills for the industry machine. Sure, we get some review copies and have some access to free rentals, and sure, we get paid for our reviews, but most or all of us are just as much consumers as you or anyone else out there. In the four years I've been doing reviews for ANN (gods, has it really been that long?), I've only gotten maybe a third of the items I've reviewed provided for free. The rest I've bought myself, and that includes the volume used for this review. I did that because I had high hopes that the series would prove an amusing diversion, but. . . well, you've seen the review.

As for an option for community members to post their own reviews as they do at Amazon or similar sites: while I've seen some very good amateurs reviews posted in this way, I've also seen a lot of nearly incoherent crap. Although I can't speak for the top guys officially, given what I know about how things work around here I'm guessing we don't have a fan review option because it would be a major editorial and regulatory headache.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

As for an option for community members to post their own reviews as they do at Amazon or similar sites: while I've seen some very good amateurs reviews posted in this way, I've also seen a lot of nearly incoherent crap. Although I can't speak for the top guys officially, given what I know about how things work around here I'm guessing we don't have a fan review option because it would be a major editorial and regulatory headache.

Why not just spring the system up out of nowhere, then tell all your current mods "by the way, you're moderating reviews now too." Razz I'm sure they'd love that! Wait, you're a mod too, I almost forgot, hehe, doesn't that sound like fun?

Actually, from what I understand, some sites that allow user reviews like that have special mods dedicated to handling the reviews.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Why not just spring the system up out of nowhere, then tell all your current mods "by the way, you're moderating reviews now too." Razz I'm sure they'd love that! Wait, you're a mod too, I almost forgot, hehe, doesn't that sound like fun?

If you've seen what mods have had to go through on this site, then it wouldn't be as much fun as you might think. I've seen some pretty bad stuff that they have had to go through, and the mods on the forums have not gone without criticism and complaints from users here on ANN, thankfully some of those users aren't here anymore. If they allowed that, they would have to go through finding more mods, which makes for even more of a headache.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4