• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Top 50 Anime of All Time," according to JapanCinema.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redletterprints

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
Hola,

So I'm new here but I wanted to post a list we created at JapanCinema.net - our Top 50 Anime of All Time!!
Each JC writer compiled a list and the creator Marcello narrowed those down to a master list which you can see here.

What do you think?

PS.
I was aiming more for an adult vintage-y list. Not a fan of bleach, naruto....things with kids with big eyes. Love the stuff from Manga in the 90's!!!

Wink

[EDIT: Made the thread title a little more specific about the source of this "all time list." -TK]
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
Naruto in third got me laughing. I guess popularity is too much of a criteria here.

If you are going to place Naruto as third for being a gateway, then you should remove the "all time" part from the list's name.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
redletterprints wrote:
I was aiming more for an adult vintage-y list.

You were? Damn, dude. You must be blind considering how far you missed the target. This list screams elementary as I doubt most adults would agree with it.

As one commenter stated: "No Strike Witches? Fail".

I concur.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
I guess they were trying to make a list in which popularity,influence and critical recognition are main criterions.But even looking at it from angle Naruto coming in third in front of Dragon Ball Z is a mistake.
Since Dragon Ball is more popular , has a bigger influence and about the same critical reception.
Also you should have put Megazone 23 since it is one the most influential animes of all time (it influenced works such as NGE,Matrix and Rahxephon).
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
It comes across to me as a "hard" list (as in opposite of soft, rather than opposite of easy). Were the voters mostly male? There's no Clannad, not Princess Tutu, no Maria Watches Over Us, no Aria. In fact, it comes across as pointedly anti-moe. While I think many of the choices are outstanding, a serious list should acknowledge all tastes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
Ah, it begins. Top X lists are always fun to read the feedback on as people wail "Why isn't X on here!"

Though I have to say, Street Fighter II is an utterly bizarre choice. The criteria being applied for this list is definitely not obvious.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
Well, I like a lot of those, I don't know how many of them would actually make a top 50 list I made.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the laughs, JapanCinema.net! Not even going to bother listing what I would want in my personal top 50, as that's not really important. However, I'll go ahead and wonder what the heck the writers collaborating with this were thinking with having Shigurui (#1312), Fairy Tail (#1604), the newer Golgo 13 (#1953), DRRR (#296), Blood (#2361), Robotech (seriously, what the hell?), Bleach (#374), Soul Eater (#203), D. Grayman (#435), Street Fighter II (#2173), Tekkon Kinkreet (#309), and Rurouni Kenshin (needs to specify only Trust & Betrayal) on the list. The number after the name of the title represents the Bayesian ranking that the title has on ANN. As you can see, you clearly picked some major stinkers considering there are less than 4,000 titles currently ranked.

One of the first resources you should have used for this project is this which is one of the most comprehensive ranking systems for anime around. From there you can see some really big titles that are missing from your list.
redletterprints

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I actually agree with most of you. Again, it was a compilation list compiled by JapanCinema and my personal list submitted is here, which I do feel is more of an adult taste.

My own personal BEST OF ANIME criteria:
1. Adult themes - R rated+ - no blushing kiddie crap.
2. Interesting character development that does NOT have the feel of androgynous emo cut and paste of the stuff that seems popular now. Love the vintage anime look. GOOD DIALOGUE.
3. A depth or epicness to the world created. No boring kids doing homework and going on dates. We're talking global level topics.
4. No hairbows.
5. Outstanding animation.

I'm fascinated by the numbering system on ANN.....how long does it take for you guys to search and paste?

- O

Last edited by redletterprints on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Masakaki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Masakaki on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
redletterprints wrote:
I actually agree with most of you. Again, it was a compilation list compiled by JapanCinema and my personal list submitted is here, which I do feel is more of an adult taste.
Yeah, your list definitely trends older, both in target age and vintage. It would've been nice if the other lists the main list was based on were linked in the article as well. (Also, you have Aeon Flux on there twice you cheater :p)
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Masakaki wrote:
Where's Monster ?!!

Really. No Twelve Kingdoms or Moribito, either. Not to mention that The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, probably one of the most influential anime series of the past decade, isn't on the list. I like Claymore, too, probably more than Haruhi, but it's hardly as significant in the development of modern anime as Haruhi. Madoka Magica is probably too new to make the list, but I see that show as the successor to Haruhi when it comes to influence within the industry and the fanbase.

I suspect the nominators for this list were largely male and well under thirty. Lots of fighting and shounen, no romance or slice-of-life. Not one noitaminA show in the list as far as I can tell, either. Considering how dominant school-life shows are in terms of what's produced, the absence of something like School Rumble is telling.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Yep, not a single one of my favourites on that list, except, oddly enough, Howl's Moving Castle. I'm happily surprised to see it make the list since generally I've mostly met people who don't have a high opinion of it.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
This list has some good titles on it, but only a handful that'd have much of a shot at making a top fifty list of my own.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Madoka Magica is probably too new to make the list, but I see that show as the successor to Haruhi when it comes to influence within the industry and the fanbase.

That would be strange. MAWARU PENGUINDRUM is on the list and it is newer than Madoka. [It's not like it makes me sad Smile MP is the better series.]

But, yeah, the vast majority of these shows are clearly action-oriented. I wonder if someone will do Top 50 slice-of-life anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7