• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Top 50 Anime of All Time," according to JapanCinema.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
A show that spawned its own tongue-in-cheek religion, like Haruhi?

Maybe Haruhi isn't on there because it's a shitty show with the WORST title character ever.

...and my search for an actual intelligent Chagen46 post continues.
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
redletterprints wrote:
I actually agree with most of you. Again, it was a compilation list compiled by JapanCinema and my personal list submitted is here, which I do feel is more of an adult taste.
Yeah, your list definitely trends older, both in target age and vintage. It would've been nice if the other lists the main list was based on were linked in the article as well. (Also, you have Aeon Flux on there twice you cheater :p)

Aeon Flux ISN'T an anime... Confused
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Different opinion = stupid now? Amazing.

Haruhi is a horrible mary sue of a character who never actually develops and manages to make the entire show shit. Like, I love every aspect of it besides her, but she alone manages to eradicate all of the positives of the show.

I suffered through the first three light novels before saying "f*ck this".
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Actually, stupid opinion = stupid now. Not so amazing. I happen to adore Haruhi personally, but I understand the hate she engenders. At least she's not just a cookie-cutter clichéd type like far too many anime characters. You are letting your personal antipathy of a character cloud your opinion of the entire show, which is always the sign of a banal, un-analytical, trite, third-rate "mind."
Riddley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Actually Aeon Flux IS an anime since, you know, anime = any animated show/movie etc since it's the japanese word for animation. So are any Disney films.

Just had to throw that spanner in the works lol
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
Actually Aeon Flux IS an anime since, you know, anime = any animated show/movie etc since it's the japanese word for animation. So are any Disney films.

Rolling Eyes Shocked
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Actually, stupid opinion = stupid now. Not so amazing. I happen to adore Haruhi personally, but I understand the hate she engenders. At least she's not just a cookie-cutter clichéd type like far too many anime characters. You are letting your personal antipathy of a character cloud your opinion of the entire show, which is always the sign of a banal, un-analytical, trite, third-rate "mind."

Haruhi as an anime is a big snore fest. couldn't sit through three entire episodes even watching parts of some was just too "yawn" for me.

you loving a series doesn't make someone else's opinion of it any less valid.

look at naruto for example as shipuden (sp?) progressed to sasuke being unpickled from his barrel the show (some wanted the main story back) turned into a total crap fest. some loved it some like myself didn't its an opinion yours or mine doesn't make the other invalid or stupid because they differ.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
@ dragoneyes001. Yeah, duh. Thanks for stating the painfully obvious. Cowboy Bebop didn't do it for me. Mostly it left me cold and kinda bored a lot of the time. However, because I'm not a complete twit, I can actually recognize that and still not dismiss Cowboy Bebop as a "shitty" show. I can recognize the craft and skill that went into making it even if, ultimately, none of it had much impact on me.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:

In that case Zoidberg is one of my favourite anime characters. Gonna have to re-think my top lists...

Whoop whoop whoop whoop (V) (;,,;) (V)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Different opinion = stupid now? Amazing.

Haruhi is a horrible mary sue of a character who never actually develops and manages to make the entire show shit. Like, I love every aspect of it besides her, but she alone manages to eradicate all of the positives of the show.

I suffered through the first three light novels before saying "f*ck this".

We should all be lucky to know somebody like Haruhi who will inject some fun into our lives.

Also, Haruhi being a "Mary Sue" is the point of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:

Maybe if we were Japanese, but for English speakers, the word "anime" means animated show/movie from Japan, specifically.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

That's no excuse. A Mary Sue is a Mary Sue. An intentional mary sue is still as bad as an unintentional one (hell, it's arguably worse because the author is flat-out admitting that they're terrible at writing but try to save face for it).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

That's no excuse. A Mary Sue is a Mary Sue. An intentional mary sue is still as bad as an unintentional one (hell, it's arguably worse because the author is flat-out admitting that they're terrible at writing but try to save face for it).

No. The character is written intentionally that way to become a catalyst to the other characters' reactions. Not because the writer can't write, but because it's an interesting premise to be played with, that this girl can will anything into existence and the absurdity of it all. Your argument would have weight if the consequences of being a "Mary Sue" were never addressed, or their effects were minimal, but it's examined rather thoroughly.

The premise doesn't work if she isn't the way she is.

Besides which, Haruhi has a certain charm to her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
An intentional mary sue is still as bad as an unintentional one (hell, it's arguably worse because the author is flat-out admitting that they're terrible at writing but try to save face for it).

Sense. This posting makes none.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Of course you'd be biased, you have the name of the most aggravating character in the history of anime in your username.

Haruhi is a mary sue. She's an obnoxious bitch who gets away with everything she does and acts like a complete asshole to literally every other character but never gets called out for it. Mary sues are bad writing. It doesn't matter if you "intentionally" made a mary sue. It's still bad writing.

You don't get to make a badly-written work and then go "HAH HAH, I intentionally made it bad, so it's not actually bad at all!". No. You don't get to do that. It's still shitty writing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7