• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Top 50 Anime of All Time," according to JapanCinema.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Of course you'd be biased, you have the name of the most aggravating character in the history of anime in your username.

Haruhi is a mary sue. Mary sues are bad writing. It doesn't matter if you "intentionally" made a mary sue. It's still bad writing.

Except that TMoHS isn't badly written, it's clever and thought provoking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Of course you'd be biased, you have the name of the most aggravating character in the history of anime in your username.

Haruhi is a mary sue. Mary sues are bad writing. It doesn't matter if you "intentionally" made a mary sue. It's still bad writing.

Except that TMoHS isn't badly written, it's clever and thought provoking.

I agree with that. I love Tanigawa's style when it comes to writing.

The problem is that Haruhi is literally SO aggravating and annoying that I just gave up on the series. I love literally everything in this series except her.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I agree with that. I love Tanigawa's style when it comes to writing.

The problem is that Haruhi is literally SO aggravating and annoying that I just gave up on the series. I love literally everything in this series except her.

Chagen46 wrote:
Maybe Haruhi isn't on there because it's a shitty show with the WORST title character ever.

Yours truly.
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Haruhi is a mary sue. She's an obnoxious bitch who gets away with everything she does and acts like a complete asshole to literally every other character but never gets called out for it. Mary sues are bad writing. It doesn't matter if you "intentionally" made a mary sue. It's still bad writing.

You don't get to make a badly-written work and then go "HAH HAH, I intentionally made it bad, so it's not actually bad at all!". No. You don't get to do that. It's still shitty writing.

Except for the fact that Kyon's character is designed specifically to be Haruhi's foil (and hence why she's in love with him, coincidentally.)

Note specifically the episode where he's going to slap the be-jeezus out of her. Kyon often has no time for her stupidity--especially when it's going to harm others. Kyon puts Haruhi in her place, that's the whole point of his character. But he also lets her off when she's being harmless and if it'll make her happy (and often him byproxy). Haruhi is the excitement in Kyon's life and he is her rock and anchor.

And it's not bad writing, it's actually some of the best imo. The only criticism I have of TMoHS is the endless 8.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Haruhi is a mary sue. She's an obnoxious bitch who gets away with everything she does and acts like a complete asshole to literally every other character but never gets called out for it. Mary sues are bad writing. It doesn't matter if you "intentionally" made a mary sue. It's still bad writing.

I could point out the flaws here such as the stupidity of this statement, the inarticulate nature, the misuse of the term "mary sue" and the absolute unfamilarity of the show but let's just assume this guy's right. He's not but let's just say he is. He couldn't be more wrong but let's just say he has a point.

End of argument.

Quote:

Mary Sue as Protagonist You Don't Like
An alarmingly widespread use of the term, and one reason a lot of people feel that the term has lost whatever useful meaning it once had. There are a lot of reasons why this usage is so common. Most obviously, as rants about and mockery of the Mary Sue phenomenon became increasingly well-known in fandom, it became increasingly easy to throw the term around as Flame Bait. The fact that so many of the other definitions are highly subjective doesn't help.
People who accuse characters of being Mary Sues rarely admit that this is the definition they're using. The best way to tell is if their justifications for the character's Sue-hood are all based on shoehorning, Alternate Character Interpretation, misrepresenting the sources, and Accentuate the Negative. Describe any non-fanfic character as a Canon Sue, and you'll be lucky if no one accuses you of using this definition of the term.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
But he also lets her off when she's being harmless and if it'll make her happy (and often him byproxy).

So constant sexual assault and degradation plus instances of blackmail are considered "harmless"? Because he sure didn't pull her up on those.

Wow.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Who says a character has to be a good person to be enjoyable?

My favorite anime character is Lupin III, a thieving near-rapist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Should we maybe call a mod in here to get this thing back on topic? Because this current line of discussion, based on a show that is absent from the list the thread was created for, is becoming rather hostile.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, I don't care that Haruhi isn't on the list. I'm not even upset anymore that Cowboy Bebop isn't there.

It's just that the list kind of fails on a few levels. But I think a lot of that has to do with it being a compiled list of more than one person's taste. That and the whole "influencial" thing bothers me.

I guess it was immature for me to be offended they didn't share my exact tastes (it happens... I'm sure you've all seen it). I mean, several anime I love are on the list, after all, if not at the numbers I would put them at. But on further investigation, there are actual problems with the list that are unrelated to that.

Parts of the list feel like they're frankly just trying to be different for the sake of it.

(I still don't see how Street Fighter anime is on that.... I know, opinions, but really, Street Fighter?)
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

I could point out the flaws here such as the stupidity of this statement, the inarticulate nature, the misuse of the term "mary sue" and the absolute unfamilarity of the show but let's just assume this guy's right. He's not but let's just say he is. He couldn't be more wrong but let's just say he has a point.

End of argument.

Hah hah, the "everyone who has a different opinion is WRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!111!!!" viewpoint?

Look, as I said, I suffered through the first three light novels. I articulated EXACTLY why I dislike Haruhi, but I guess that's not going to prevent you from moving the goalposts, is it?

She is a complete asshole. She doesn't develop. She treats literally every other character like shit, with the possible exception of Kyon, and gets away with it. She blackmails people, molests Mikuru, and acts like she is God (which she technically is, but still).

She constantly puts the club through her ridiculous schemes like the whole "Let's make a movie for the School festival!" thing that the whole damn second book was about, where she basically spent the whole damn book lording over everybody and making things hell for them like causing all the Sakura trees to bloom (and yes, I do know that she isn't consciously aware of her powers, but that doesn't stop her from being incredibly unlikable or aggravating). I can barely remember what happened in the third book, being that I read it in one sitting at a bookstore and then just put it away and never read it again (I own the first two books), but at that point I was just mentally saying "NOPE" anyway.

People say she gets better over the course of the series, but I already suffered through the first three books. Sorry, Tanigawa, but I just don't have the time to keep reading.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
(I still don't see how Street Fighter anime is on that.... I know, opinions, but really, Street Fighter?)

Yeah. I think that is actually the most puzzling thing about this list.

I mean, Street Fighter!? I have never met a fan who feels strongly about that movie. In fact, I can't even imagine a fan who would feel strongly about that movie. I can't say the same about most other questionable "best ever" choices (on this list or other lists). I mean, I at least get that there are kids who think awful, formulaic Shounen is the best thing ever. I get that there are old timers who think antiquated, ultraviolent OVAs are the best thing ever. I get that there are otaku who think terrible, fanservice and moe shows are the best thing ever. I get that there are new fans who have only seen super recent stuff and think it is the best anime ever.

Who the heck likes the Street Fighter anime though? I don't know that person.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I mean, the original SFII movie was decent, at least. But on the list of best anime? I just don't see it.

I guess the Chun-Li shower scene is just that good.

Chagen46 wrote:

People say she gets better over the course of the series, but I already suffered through the first three books. Sorry, Tanigawa, but I just don't have the time to keep reading.

Dude, if you don't like the character, why would you read three books of her?

That's just masochistic.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Who the heck likes the Street Fighter anime though? I don't know that person.

I am of the general opinion that it is one of those "so bad it's good" films, particularly dubbed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Not sure where they got the image for Fist of the north Star but That is not Kenshiro or anyone in the anime that I know of at all! Also the description or whatever it is sounds like it was written by a 5th grader and is inaccurate. And what is a "screaming secret death punches"??? I guess whoever watched this never got past episode 26.

Also Street Fighter on that list just made me laugh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dude, if you don't like the character, why would you read three books of her?

That's just masochistic.

Because the series is famous and so well-liked. I assumed that the books must be pretty good.

Unfortunately, as much as I liked the other elements of the story, Haruhi's unlikable-ness took its toll. Jesus the story would've been so much better if it had focused on Yuki and Itsuki. Those two were WAY more interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7