• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Mysterious Cities of Gold to Be Reissued on U.S. DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sloggett

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
I'm still crossing my fingers for a "Twins of Destiny" DVD release.

This is great news for people that missed it the first time around.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
Sloggett wrote:
I'm still crossing my fingers for a "Twins of Destiny" DVD release.

This is great news for people that missed it the first time around.

I'm sure it is. I also see it's being released by one of America's OLDEST independent video labels too.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
I highly recommend it. It was one of those cartoons that was "different", and seeing that it was dubbed in Canada I didn't realise it was a French-Japanese co -production, but I didn't really care back then anyway. I just knew I didn't want to miss an episode. Laughing
Lucyjin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I WILL be buying this and importing it. This was one of my first cartoon loves when I was but a wee bairn of 5! Very Happy
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Lucyjin wrote:
I WILL be buying this and importing it. This was one of my first cartoon loves when I was but a wee bairn of 5! Very Happy
No need. It's readily availablein the UK and has been for some time in R2.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm not buying this unless someone releases the original language version with English subtitles, the dub is awful, it sounds like an 80s american TV animated series and those all have cheesy voice acting. And no, I don't dislike all dubs and I love many american cartoons from the 90s and after (I'm still bummed that there aren't any complete season sets for TMMOFlapjack or Chowder), but they aren't getting my money for this release.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Ordinarily, I'd agree with you, but this is a show that hasn't been seen since it originally aired, and is an overall rare series that (as I had suspected with the first release) might go out of print before you can blink, which is why I got the (deluxe version of the) original DVD release while I had the chance. For these reasons, and I don't usually say this about anime DVDs, we're going to need to take what we can get. I mean, it's not like it's Go Lion/Dairugger XV ("Voltron"), or Sei Juushi Bismarck ("Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs"; ugh!) , or Macross/Southern Cross/Mospeada ("Robotech"), Sailor Moon, or Digimon or anything like that. Those are all higher (compared to TMCoG, anyway) profile releases that we could (and should) expect the original Japanese versions of to be released. However, there are exceptions to the rule, and TMCoG is one of those very, very, VERY few exceptions (at least, IMO)

So if anyone out there wants to get this re-released DVD of the show, now might be the best time. Who knows when/if it might go out of print again, and this, be available again. OTOH, be advised that (as I had learned the hard way), while this is a family-friendly show 98% or so of the time, at least two or so of the mini-documentaries at the end of the episodes contain uncensored nudity (hence the missing 2% or so).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
I'm not buying this unless someone releases the original language version with English subtitles, the dub is awful, it sounds like an 80s american TV animated series and those all have cheesy voice acting. And no, I don't dislike all dubs and I love many american cartoons from the 90s and after (I'm still bummed that there aren't any complete season sets for TMMOFlapjack or Chowder), but they aren't getting my money for this release.
That would be in French then. It didn't air in Japan until a few years after. Wink
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
is this the same show that was on nickelodeon back in the 80s?
i never got to see the end of it
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
is this the same show that was on nickelodeon back in the 80s?
i never got to see the end of it

Yes, it was!
rarirurero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
I have fond memories of this show from the UK-based 'The Children's Channel' (TCC).

I am however on the fence about getting this set, as I got it off the US-iTunes-store last winter.

Will have to see if there is money left in the tin at the end of the month!
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
So if anyone out there wants to get this re-released DVD of the show, now might be the best time. Who knows when/if it might go out of print again, and this, be available again. OTOH, be advised that (as I had learned the hard way), while this is a family-friendly show 98% or so of the time, at least two or so of the mini-documentaries at the end of the episodes contain uncensored nudity (hence the missing 2% or so).

Is there anything sexual about the nudity or is it just some tribeswomen with their breasts uncovered, National Geographic style, or something like that? I don't consider nudity to necessarily render a show not family friendly even if it is a bit fanservicey, but I especially do not consider non-sexual nudity to render a show unsuitable for children, Kirikou and the Sorceress has a U (for universal = suitable for all ages) certificate in the u.k. and that's as it should be. Plus, if it is just breasts, it's an unjust double standard that men are allowed to walk around shirtless while women aren't, that women sometimes get in trouble for breastfeeding in public. The fact that there are lots of ignorant parents/adults out there does not mean that seeing tits on TV is damaging to children.

Mohawk52 wrote:
UtenaAnthy wrote:
That would be in French then. It didn't air in Japan until a few years after. Wink

I didn't specify Japanese as the original language for precisely that reason, I wasn't completely clear on whether the original language was French or Japanese, so I didn't assume either way. That said, if the dub was done in the 80s, I'd probably prefer the Japanese dub to the English dub because having sampled voice acting from that decade in both languages, the Japanese is on average considerably better (though I think that completely evened up for original language versions starting with shows like The Simpsons and Batman: TAS).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1