• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Darker Than Black DVD 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackCox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
Thank You for Mentioning Brandon Potter as Kurusawa, he is a laugh riot and a half in this role.
Ligene

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm up for anything with Brandon Potter in it, so will have to check this out someday. Wink
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I've got Vol. 2, just haven't watched it yet. Probably will get around to it once 3 arrives in the mail.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:08 am Reply with quote
I would have said that the Kurasawa episodes were the low point of the volume. I mean, they're very good comedically-speaking (having Kurasawa and his assistant around is always a blast), but they definitely lack in action and drama. The other episodes do not. Granted, there is a bit of the whole "mission of the week" feel to things, but with the general setup of 2 episode stories, that's pretty much how things go with the majority of Darker than Black - although that changes somewhat the farther into the show you go.

In any case, personally, I thought that the story with Kirihara was quite good. From a character standpoint, it does a good job of fleshing out her past a bit and there was definitely some good action in it. I can see Carl's point that the outcome is pretty much known from the start, but that's the case with most shows. It's usually a question of how the main character will win rather than if they'll win. And the Kirihara story definitely had a nice twist in that regard.

Overall, I think that the trend of having stories that are related to the pasts of various characters is a good one. And while it may not reveal as much about the mysteries of Darker than Black as we might like, it definitely adds some good depth to it.

In any case, I definitely thought that this disc was a good one. I disagree with Carl's assessment of the non-Kurasawa episodes, but I suppose that I can see where he's coming from.
Ddoddka_10

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:57 am Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
Thank You for Mentioning Brandon Potter as Kurusawa, he is a laugh riot and a half in this role.

I agree with you 100%, i love Brandon Potter and School Rumble is boss...

I think the 2 eps with Kurusawa were awsome-and you could centre a whole anime around him

But the other 3 eps are good as well over all i give it a 8/10
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1