• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
U.S. Manga (OEL), manhwa, and light novels

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
When adding manga to the list of ones I've read or own, I sometimes see a "U.S. Manga" listed, such as Maximum Ride (U.S. Manga) or Bizenghast (U.S. manga). The only connection to manga/anime those two have is their publishers (Yen Press and Tokyopop). Is that all that is needed for OELs to get an encyclopedia page? More specifically, what are the rules/guidelines for adding OEL, manhwa, or light novels?

Also, titles that are not a manga or anime (OELs, manhwa, and light novels) aren't listed in the manga or any other encyclopedia lists (that I can find) and are nearly impossible to find especially when logged out. An encyclopedia page doesn't do much good if no one can find it. Why not have a miscellaneous list or some other kind of list/s so that they can be found, used, and contributed to more easily?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
More specifically, what are the rules/guidelines for adding OEL, manhwa, or light novels?

For the first two: If a title is being reviewed at ANN (which also means the title is available in North America) and/or an online event co-hosted by its license holder and ANN. However, there is no strict, black'n'white criteria; please refer to the following two threads for more info, with Dan's replies in particular:
Not Anime/Manga but related
Not anime but related

For light novels: If a light novel has both anime and manga adaptations, or either has been licensed in US. The criteria is similar to that of live-action adaptations but we don't have a quantified point system for light novels yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Okay, thanks for the links.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1