• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Posts 2 Yu-Gi-Oh! Episodes in Raw Japanese

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russ869

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
It's not like the overall themes or messages of the show were drastically altered, if that happened to a series I liked than I would complain but this "Typical shonen tournament stuff only with card games, with very typical shonen themes" wasn't really lost in removing the "guns airbrushed out, 007 deathtraps re-classed as magical prisons, chicks given some sensible clothes,"

But still for those wanting there "adult" entertainment from Yu Gi Oh! get excited over this, but for me I'll think I'll stick with watching Paranoia Agent again.

Actually the overall themes WERE very drastically altered. What bothers me more than editing out guns and changing card appearances is that the dialogue in the English dub is often times not even close to what they are talking about in the Japanese. This show is pretty much completely rewritten; not in terms of plot points, but in terms of philosophy and character motivations.

It would be like taking a scene in Ghost in the Shell where Batou and the Major are talking about why she goes diving as a cyborg and dubbing it over so that instead they're talking about a barbecue they went to last week or how if they don't catch the Puppet Master it's the end of the world as they know it.

No, this isn't adult entertainment; It's Yuugiou. But it is still exciting, well written, and rather intelligent for an anime based on a Shonen Jump manga.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
What's the point of it being in Japanese when average anime fans can't speak it and there are no subtitles?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
What's the point of it being in Japanese when average anime fans can't speak it and there are no subtitles?

Funny. I'm under the impression that average Japanese anime fans can't speak English. Why? Because they all live in Japan. Problem where this is concerned however is the region locking. Now if you're talking about the average American anime fan then you are probably right, a majority of them cannot speak Japanese.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
Oh wow! 20 whole episodes of yugioh! I think I'll go and buy an arseload of cards and get them out of thier current economical situ-

"**** off, you not american! Hali americana!"

Oh, neverind, off to Fansub land for me! (I'm quite sure whatever "Get mp4 offa youtube" thing I use will work too but I digress)

I meen come on, is Funimation the only company that even acknowlages that internet is world wide and makes even half an effort to make this crap work?

Seriously, Not. Rocket. Science.
If Funi can do it, anyone can do it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

Not necessarily anyone. Depends how much the Japanese is asking for, if they can afford it.
Obviously, Funi is the one with some money right now. Maybe the only one....

Are there even old Yugioh fansubs out there? Neutral
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

No, not unless you import illegal Chinese counterfeit DVDs. And even those have horrible grammar and spelling.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
D Dubbs wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

No, not unless you import illegal Chinese counterfeit DVDs. And even those have horrible grammar and spelling.

Um, there most definitely are, for all of the franchise

Conan-san wrote:
I mean come on, is Funimation the only company that even acknowlages that internet is world wide and makes even half an effort to make this crap work?

If by "the internet is world wide" you are implying that Funi can stream their shows to the rest of the world, then that's news to me.

Now the case with 4kids streaming uncut raws seems to me like an issue of trying scramble for some goodwill, getting the word out asap, when they work out all of the legal shenanigans required to include the subtitles since those aren't covered under existing licensing they're using for their edited version.

With Youtube, they don't have to worry about broadcast regulations, parents with pitchforks, very narrow targeted demographics to sell to advertisers, and are hoping to get some ad-revenue from some new viewers but mostly prior viewers who already know how butchered it was.
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:48 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
I mean come on, is Funimation the only company that even acknowlages that internet is world wide and makes even half an effort to make this crap work?

There are two things that you really like to ignore in your incessant complaining about how all 200 people in the UK who watch anime constantly get screwed:
1) The Japanese companies are the ones who partition the rights up.
2) And decide the price of each region.

Regarding 1, the Japanese only recently have gotten their act together over internet rights and it is still a mess (see TV Tokyo and Naruto).

Regarding 2, you are not going to buy something that doesn't make fiscal sense. Why would a company spend extra for streaming rights in areas where they do not have distribution or wouldn't ever make the money back? For all we know, they want $10k for the rest of the english speaking world which they would never make back and 4kids is already hurting for money.

Also, FUNimation does not have international rights for all of their series. (They likely have English speaking rights in most cases of "international" and in some cases, it is limited to dub only.) If you haven't noticed, there are actually patterns among what FUNi has the digital rights for and where.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
D Dubbs wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Ha, I love those DVDs. The grammar was horrible and they mixed the US names with subtitles sometimes. Or Translated the Japanese names into english like I think they called Mai "Phoenix" because of her family name. But the box art on some of those where awesome. Too bad they got busted after Yugioh GX boxset 1.

As for the fansub question really the answer is kind of. For the first season of Yugioh or Season Zero, that has been fansubbed.

But for the rest of the series that focused on the card game theme, various fansubbers have tried to sub the series but often gave up after a few episodes or only subbed episoded they liked. Other groups started in at different points but again never finished. You'll find strings of fansubs but then it dies off. The same can be said for GX. Right now you won't find a complete fansub of the series and probably never will.

BUT! Yugioh 5Ds does have a decent collection of fansubs. Eps 1 - 45 I believe which is pretty current give or take 6+ episodes. I'm not a fan of the motorcycle dueling and can't even guess why they went that route outside of marketing reasons. But overall its not bad. A few inconsistency in card strategies and well has card effects changing throughout the series but its not bad and its expected to happen in Yugioh.

Good consistent artwork helps the series alot. GX was clunky at times and of poor quality in terms of art and story. The original Yugioh used the 3+ different animation team tactic for handling longer running series so the quality varied from awesome to horrible which towards the last season dropped the awesome animation team except for 1 episode. 5D's keeps it around good with bits of very good.
Kaay-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm shocked. Like, really shocked. Too bad I'm going to have to learn Japanese to understand it, but then, heaven forbid their american viewrs stumble upon it and find out what it's really about =O ( Rolling Eyes ). I wonder if fansubbers couldn't rip the videos off of youtube and fansub it? That would be so hilarious.

On a serious note, it'll be interesting to see how long this lasts.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Precis wrote:
Saw this earlier today, wondering what it means for the future of the show.

OHGODPLEASELETTHEREBEUNCUTDVDSI'LLPAYWHATEVERRIDICULOUSPRICEYOUWANT. D=

penguintruth wrote:
What could possibly have been cut from a show about children playing a card game?

Comparisons of JP/ENG versions of the DM series --> http://www.yu-jyo.net/index.php
And a similar site for 5D's comparisons (although it's not quite up-to-date) --> http://gymleaderlance99.110mb.com/

Unfortunately there is no such site with GX comparisons. Pity, since dub!GX has some hilarious dialogue/plot edits. D:

It's official. Now it's really the end of the world as we know it if 4kids did released an actual uncut japaneese version of any series they licensed cause the're so careful on keeping them americanized.

However i do have to admit that only pokemon & the 1st yugioh series was done right in my eyes.

and the GX series was actually better than the first,excluding the OP & epsiode 65,but some things was way over the line.

I am & will always be a dub only user until i get use to subs,However second chances are in human nature so if they decide to release it,and both yugioh GX & 5D's on DVD in it's original japaneese version with subs,along with the other anime they destroyed, then the anime community might forgive them but I kinda doubt that and fans of yugi's voice (Dan Green) may also would probably wait for an actual UNCUT version of the series but that too is doubtful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dahling

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Kinda awesome to see this. Very Happy Just can't help but hate that despite all this hype said episodes have barely any views. :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYBeMOKIrv8&feature=PlayList&p=CCCADF9834901E72&index=0&playnext=1

555!! 555!!!! You people might at least show some support and watch this, you can at least generate a little ad revenue for 'kids!!
darkrunner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Pretty much the entire series is on youtube. Dunno about DVDs.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

As an adult, I wasn't all thay impressed with Paranoia Agent. Boogie Pop was better for my money.

But as a Japanese VA fan, I would love a sub set of YuGiOh.

Funny you should mention Boogie Pop, I have that one to lol.

But I genreally find PA more entertaining because I prefer to analyze things and PA has a lot to say about a variety of different topics.
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

There are two things that you really like to ignore in your incessant complaining about how all 200 people in the UK who watch anime constantly get screwed.

I guess 100% of UK fans must be at the anime society in my small university town, then! Who'd have thought it?

-Pips-
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6