• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-03-18

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
I'm sure Kevin's an absolute bishie under his glasses and otaku-ness. Or at least that's what I've learned from shojo manga... Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Anime News Nina!, by Zac Bertschy?

Must be Zac week at ANN Laughing

Going to the comic though, I'm not dating anybody right now, and I'm not really trying to look for anybody right now. I'm just trying to finish school and get a real job before I start getting into that kind of stuff.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
Roy9076 wrote:
Quite ironic that he's afraid of talking to girls and yet he has two friends who are girls.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
It's hilarious that Kevin has trouble talking to women when two of his friends are both women.

Don't be fooled. Of my handful of friends, the majority are women, and yet I'm still too scared to ask a girl on a date. Embarassed
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:19 am Reply with quote
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:
I'm sure Kevin's an absolute bishie under his glasses and otaku-ness. Or at least that's what I've learned from shojo manga... Very Happy

Poor, poor Nina thought that once, but the "cheez poof incident" ended that really quickly. Very Happy

This week's strip reminded of the cartoon showing when Nina first met Kevin.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:44 am Reply with quote
Kenji_Ikari wrote:

Except for the terror part. More like laziness + I don't want to hit on random girls, and there are very few I see daily.

That's why ya guys go clubbing, right? Girls can't resist that. Laughing

dtm42 wrote:
DuelLadyS wrote:
As a female, I find Kevin's 'weird face' to be ab-frickin-dorable. Ironic, or am I just weird? In any case, he might try working that into his pickup lines. Laughing

Pity has scored many a man a date.

Y'mean, a girl who needs a pity visit has scored many a man a date. Laughing

Ai no Kareshi wrote:

Don't be fooled. Of my handful of friends, the majority are women, and yet I'm still too scared to ask a girl on a date. Embarassed

Maybe there's a lesson there... Don't be a chick! Laughing

Nah seriously, while there's truth to the comic, it's been done to death. Why not put a twist and have the girl be the loser for a change? I mean, girls can be losers too, right? Or am I wrong? Do all girls think they're desirable and can score anyone? Confused
MugenSeiRyuu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:20 am Reply with quote
Ah, poor Kevin. But he is right, Nina would be that kind of woman from the Anime. Just that she does not fall for him.Very Happy Laughing
And is she a bit OOC in panel 5, 7 and 8?
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:51 am Reply with quote
This thread now belongs to miserable, dateless guys.
We understand your pain, Kevlar, we understand. Anime cry
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:48 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
2. I thought Kevin and Nina lived in a house. Based off the fact until now we know they live in a apartment. I am somewhat surprized by that fact as well.

I've always thought Kevin was in his late 20's or 30's, but now I am not so sure anymore. It's hilarious that Kevin has trouble talking to women when two of his friends are both women. But then again, is Nina human or elf?

-I can't remember which ones, but past strips suggested they live in an apartment.

-I'll add to those who say they have plenty of female friends but don't have the guts to ask any of them out. I'm a total coward, to be perfectly honest. Smile

But hey, he had a chance with Nina a few Valentine Days ago, but he blew it by not observing proper etiquette (picking your nose with a cheesy finger? Come on!)
joshuafer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:58 am Reply with quote
Funny stuff, his expression in the last panels cracked me up.
SailorButterfly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
Poor Kevin.

Nina needs to drag him out somewhere and be his "wingman". Anime smile
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
Hm...I think I have some stuff to say about all this, that I do. [/kenshin]

Well, the attractive part is subjective, but seeing as I am an agreeable and nerdy girl myself and know dozens of hot, fun, nerdy girls on top of that, (friends o' mine), I'd say Kevin and all you other boys are just looking in the wrong places.

Most nerd girls don't broadcast to the world their interest in anime, games, graphic novels, and memorabilia. A vocal minority do, but the real gems are hiding in the rough somewhere. I guarantee you that if you speak to the quiet, charming ones who aren't pursuing guys just like you aren't "really" pursuing girls, you're more likely to find buried treasure.

Not that I was ever quiet, but I'm talking about a general population. My boyfriend of a year and a half now compliments me on a lot of things, most of them pretty standard, but one of the nicest things he can say about me is that "I'm glad I got a nerdy girl. You're one of a kind."

...Because we nerdy girls want to be recognized, appreciated, and loved for who we are juuuuuust like you boys! And hey, here's a thought: Whine about never getting a date if you want to, but you're in a pretty prime position being the enabler in a relationship! You CAN ask girls out, but you choose not to, for fear of rejection or whatever. Nerdy girls are in the EXACT same position of feeling like lonely unattractive losers (even if it isn't true,) but they have the added problem of not being able to do much about it. They can't really ask out guys they like unless they want to appear forward or desperate, so what do we have to do? Subversive tactics like dressing in a manner to attract the eye or putting ourselves in positions where our target MUST notice us, please notice us!, etc. These are slippery slopes that make us feel like we're not good enough on our own for anybody to care, and may lead to us pretending to be someone we're not...someone less nerdy and different, actually. We don't have the gift of "taking a chance," we have to "make ourselves appealing enough" for someone to take a chance on us! Sad So be brave for our sakes, boys, and we'll adore you for it, nerdy part and all! Very Happy

(You could say the notion that girls can't ask out guys to be old-fashioned, but even if it is, it's still a BIG social stigma that affects how we are viewed should we dare to go against it. Cries of equality don't matter at all, not yet. Guys should ask girls out for now.)

In summary: Nerdy guys, if you care, find a nerdy girl you're honestly attracted to, and take a chance. They're out there in bunches, but you do have to leave the basement/the rec room. Wink
Truered

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
I wish I got to spend all my time with a news Elf that likes anime Wink

This weeks comic was made even more amusing as the final facial expression reminds me of a perverted smiley I often use on another forum Laughing
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
"I'm glad I got a nerdy girl. You're one of a kind."

OMG! That is so sweet! I wish the guy I dated back in high school ever said that to me, he just said I was pretty (and indeed my unique orange hair color is a standout and is quite a lovely color, but why could he never say anything about my intellect or hand-eye coordination/juggling skill? I know I complained at him for this but he still didn't seem to learn...), but my god, he never said anything witty or unique. Yeah he was a nerd, but I do wish that someone who was more of a nerd took a chance on me instead.
JesuOtaku wrote:
(You could say the notion that girls can't ask out guys to be old-fashioned, but even if it is, it's still a BIG social stigma that affects how we are viewed should we dare to go against it. Cries of equality don't matter at all, not yet. Guys should ask girls out for now.)

In summary: Nerdy guys, if you care, find a nerdy girl you're honestly attracted to, and take a chance. They're out there in bunches, but you do have to leave the basement/the rec room. Wink

Yep, this is also true, it's still safer to ask her out. I wouldn't advise doing it if she's ever so clearly completely hostile towards you (Kevin!)

I don't think that nerd girls are quite as rare a breed as it would first seem. Yes, I still know more nerd guys than girls, but there's still a good number of nerd girls out there, go socialize at the gaming or anime clubs in college/school Wink
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
And hey, here's a thought: Whine about never getting a date if you want to, but you're in a pretty prime position being the enabler in a relationship! You CAN ask girls out, but you choose not to, for fear of rejection or whatever.

In my case, it's not a fear of rejection. It's out of mercy, really. Laughing
I am:
a) An anime/manga fan
b) A gamer
c) A programmer
Other interests are minimal.

It's a deadly triad of nerdliness.

Sure, nerdy girls exist, but based on the male/female ratio in my computer science classes at Uni (and also the anime club and the gaming club at my uni, one of which I helped run and the other of which I started as a founding committee member Wink), they're pretty rare. (60 guys and 2 girls on my course, by the way. The girls didn't stay single for very long - You ever heard that phrase "The odds are good, but the goods are odd?" Laughing)

Edit:
Shocked
What am I writing?
Time to flee this thread before it becomes a self-help column.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Although I have talked to some woman anime fans before, the older one becomes, the harder it is to find topic to talk about. Not to mention to look her in the face and not anywhere else ( I always try to be polite, but being a guy, this is bound to happen.)

I've also noticed women's moods change at any moment, just like at my job. One minute they'll have a smile on their face and the next is pissed off expression. It's even worse or hilarious (depending if it resolves around you or the sitution) if its a customer.

So its not really the fear of rejection, its really about how women confuse men. And hey if one does get rejected, he can always try again and try his best again.

JesusOtaku: If someone really wanted a buried tresure, they would probably watch Toradora. That series is indeed a buried tresure among anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5