• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Incest anime.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cogida09

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:12 am Reply with quote
I know there's been some discussion but I wanted to start up a new thread.

I've been kind of an off and on anime watcher. I find you get character interactions and storylines that you don't come across in Western theatre. My love of the stuff started with DBZ (naturally) I used to watch it as a kid on Cartoon Network.

I always thought that I only loved action/supernatural animes and things of that nature. Never really thought I could get into another genre but that's when I saw Speed Grapher. I noticed that I wasn't waiting to see the action scenes or the resolution of the physical conflicts but it was the romance between Kagura and Saiga that really kept me glued. I also noticed that I didn't feel this way about most romance that pops up in anime. It was because it had a dark, forbidden accent to it that it intrigued me.

Since then all I've wanted to watch is dark romance animes and I've noticed that the majority of these are sibling romance themed.

I've watched all of the ones in which the theme occurs and I can't get enough. I'm not really into incest per se I don't consider it a turn-on and would NEVER attempt it but the animes I've watched recently: Koi Kaze, True Tears, etc... have been the most entertaining media I have EVER watched.

Is it becoming a more prominent theme in Anime? What do the rest of you think?

Last edited by Cogida09 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:51 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't say it's becoming more prominent although I don't think it was ever really that prominent to begin with. It's always been and still is just a minor topic that has occasionally been dealt with in anime but only on a few random occasions.

Of course, I'm assuming you mean actual "not just innuendo, these people are [expletive], this is a fact" incest. If you just mean siblings, particularilly little sisters, who are just a little to clingy to the point that it's weird, then yeah. That is relatively more prevalent.
Cogida09

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Ya I mean explicit. Koi Kaze and that "I Love my Little Sister" anime have been the only ones that I've really watched where it was the MAIN point.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
Incest has also been used as a backdrop with spoiler[former lovers of a past life reincarnated into siblings] for Angel Sanctuary and Ayashi no Ceres.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
If I'm not mistaken all of the series that I have seen mentioned so far in this thread are at least two to six years old.
S.Canton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't really think it's been becoming more popular per se, it's always been around; perhaps more people are just noticing it now?
RJ TAYLER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:40 am Reply with quote
It has always been around in one form or another in fiction. Examples include the above mentioned "Reincarnated lovers" or a more common form being 'Unintentional" [two siblings given up for adoption] type of storyline.
Cogida09

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Lol I get that it's gross.

However this is more of a cultural conception rather than an established moral one.

As far as religions go it's not amoral according to Christianity.

I understand that it's a harmful practice against society due to the propegation of genetic weakness but again this is a cartoon. I find the plot developement in such programs to be more meaningful than most.
Bling Bling

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Seriously why do messed up otaku try to justify that loli incest crap because its a "cultural thing" thats no excuse. Just because its acceptable in a certain culture doesnt make it okay I dont care if its Japan or not.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Bling Bling wrote:
Seriously why do messed up otaku try to justify that loli incest crap because its a "cultural thing" thats no excuse. Just because its acceptable in a certain culture doesnt make it okay I don't care if its Japan or not.

I'm far from a loli apologist, but for heaven's sake, loli =/= incest. Deliberately inflammatory posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand are not needed here. My personal feelings about incest and any moral implications it incurs aside, Koi Kaze is a fantastic series that is definitely not "loli incest crap."

Shape up your posts, please. And let's work on our run-on sentences while we're at it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Cogida09 wrote:

Um...
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus%2018:6-18&version=31;
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Cogida09 wrote:

Um...

Adam and Eve made everyone else somehow...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
arachneia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Cogida09 wrote:

Um...

Abrahamic religions do NOT encourage incest, but there is a lot of fine print there. Abraham himself was married to a woman who was his [half?]sister, and Cain and Abel married their sisters as well.

And, just for future reference, Leviticus is a law book for Levites - which is to say Judaic priests. The only Jewish law that Christians follow is the Decalogue, since Christ abolished the rest by his sacrifice.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
It's weird, I myself would never commit incest because I find it gross (not immoral, not wrong, just gross), but I have no problem with incest anime or manga. I'm actually greatly anticipating the newly announced Aki-Sora OVA because that manga has got me hooked. KissxSis is also another show I dig and will one day start the manga.

I don't think incest itself is becoming more popular, but whenever I have an ecchi romp, I seem to always see at least one character with an extreme sibling/cousin/mom complex which I think is basically one or tow rungs down the ladder from incest.

EDIT: I promise there was a post before mine, I didn't necropost.
Bitter Almonds

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
There was Oniisama E..., directed by Dezaki Osamu, which was a great series. It's strange this series never made it over to North America.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3