• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Incest anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
First cousin marriage isn't illegal in Japan? That's disgusting. Why bother even preventing intra-family marriage at all then if they make no restrictions on relationships that close to your existing gene pool?

And cousin incest isn't historically uncommon but it's still disgusting and as bad as going for direct relations. Your genes are pretty close until you get into third or fourth cousins. In Canada (and I think the States) the closest you can marry is fifth cousin but by that loose a link the actual risks are probably about as high as your kid becoming handicapped by the environment rather than genetics.

Shoot, can somebody find the study that said offspring between cousins are at practically no more risk of genetic disease than the regular risk of genetic mutation.

Ah, here's something. Additional risk is 1.7 to 2.8%.

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
That's a more than 50% increase in the risk of genetic disorder. That's significant.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
That's a more than 50% increase in the risk of genetic disorder.

Gawd, have you read the article or not?

Quote:
What the authors were looking for is the additional risk of significant birth defects (mental retardation or genetic disorders) -- or risk that is more than that faced by the general population of couples. For example, for couples, if the base (general population) risk of genetic conditions is 5 percent, it's the additional risk that is important for consanguineous couples to know.

Although they emphasize that it's not possible to come up with one number for all populations of consanguineous couples, the authors estimate the additional risk to range from 1.7 to 2.8 percent for first cousin unions. From her experience in counseling, Bennett believes these numbers are far lower than most people's perception of the risk.

Do you know what "additional" means? If those underlines are not enough for you, let me translate them into numbers. Take the example in the first paragraph: if the base (general population) risk of genetic conditions is 5 percent, then the risk for first cousin unions ranges from 5.085 to 5.14 percent. Got it?

blind_assassin wrote:
That's significant.

Don't use the word "significant" if you don't know what χ2 and Student's t-test are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Tradition/cultural values or not, incest of anime form is considered by many (including me with my Christian values) to be wrong. I admit there are interesting stories of cousincest/siblingcest but it is wrong nonetheless.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
i thought marrige between cousins are ok in Japan. Since Anime are make in Japan, so i don't think there is any problem.

There was siblingcest case in UK that i read about in school is very interesting and we have to wrote a 5-6 pages essay about it.

UK law put those 2 people to jail because of siblingcest. the problem here is they love each other and they didn't hurt anyone.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
blind_assassin wrote:
That's a more than 50% increase in the risk of genetic disorder.

Gawd, have you read the article or not?

Quote:
What the authors were looking for is the additional risk of significant birth defects (mental retardation or genetic disorders) -- or risk that is more than that faced by the general population of couples. For example, for couples, if the base (general population) risk of genetic conditions is 5 percent, it's the additional risk that is important for consanguineous couples to know.

Although they emphasize that it's not possible to come up with one number for all populations of consanguineous couples, the authors estimate the additional risk to range from 1.7 to 2.8 percent for first cousin unions. From her experience in counseling, Bennett believes these numbers are far lower than most people's perception of the risk.

Do you know what "additional" means? If those underlines are not enough for you, let me translate them into numbers. Take the example in the first paragraph: if the base (general population) risk of genetic conditions is 5 percent, then the risk for first cousin unions ranges from 5.085 to 5.14 percent. Got it?

blind_assassin wrote:
That's significant.

Don't use the word "significant" if you don't know what χ2 and Student's t-test are.

Ugh, now I remember why I stopped posting here for so long. You and Abunai are such conceited, obtrusive ass-holes that even brushing across either of you take away even the boredom numbing effect of this forum.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
And now we're completely off-topic. Good job, Assassin.
happymoose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
snip

Last edited by happymoose on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bitter Almonds

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha. Man, y'all know it all boils down to a cartoon, right? Razz

Hey, did anyone mention Marmalade Boy? Great series (at least for the first 40 episodes) Cool
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
dormcat wrote:
. . .

Ugh, now I remember why I stopped posting here for so long. You and Abunai are such conceited, obtrusive ass-holes that even brushing across either of you take away even the boredom numbing effect of this forum.

Granted, dormcat wasn't exactly nice in the way he said that, but this response of yours is uncalled-for and inappropriate, blind_assassin. At the very least consider this a warning, and other consequences may follow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3