• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Speculation of FUNimation getting licenses.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Remember the surveys Funimation did 2 months ago about what anime otaku are currently watching or would recommend to people? Sengoku Basara was one of them. Today, ANN said Funimation's Anime Expo Panel had the announcement they just got the license for it. This is just speculation, but maybe the amount of votes Sengoku got may have had a factor in them licensing so soon.

Another aspect is that there maybe occasions where a company asks otaku which would be a good license. Case in point: I saw a Colleen Clinkenbeard panel on YouTube in spring of '08 and she was talking about the then and current issue of piracy harming the anime industry. She asked the audience if there was any title worthy of licensing.

My point being is that if asked, otaku can give companies ideas of shows to license even though fansubs are still wrong.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, funimation has been doing stuff like this for some time now. They read the boards and do polls to see what people are watching. It's just smart business, there's not much point in licensing something that no one cares about (though sometimes a few of these do get through). It's pretty effective if you look at the big name titles they have (FMA, Darker Than Black, Soul Eater, ext.) I know if I were running Funimation I'd be keeping a close eye on fansubs and forums to see what the most people are watching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
I think they do keep an eye on what's creating the biggest buzz and if they think they can make a profit off of it. Actually, I would be interested to see the results of that poll, I had forgotten about it but was surprised that they had already licensed a spring anime.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping to hear something about xxxHOLiC season 2 and the Tsubasa Tokyo OAV myself before the summer con season is over. I'm getting a little nervous about being cut off just before both franchises kick into high gear storywise (at least if that covers the parts of the mangas I'm 99% sure they do).
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting on Funi to get the rights to the Negima! OVDs

and a lot of Negima fans are, but most likely Funi will never get the rights as it's only a 7 ep set that will maybe have a movie.
lllwtflll

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Pleeeease Funimation! Pleeeease license Toradora!! Crying or Very sad
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
I really would love Funimation to license the brilliant Studio Bones (they already have Bones' Alchemist and Ouran) series Xam'd: Lost Memories/Bounen no Xamdou. Great series and I love the music and it ranks about 4th on my all-time fave anime series.
SDAnimeFan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
I really want Funimation to get Hell Girl Season 2
nabe-sama

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
SDAnimeFan wrote:
I really want Funimation to get Hell Girl Season 2

AND season 3!!
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:33 am Reply with quote
The high profiles that I can think of, that lie unclaimed are mostly recent stuff, like FMA brotherhood, Eden of the East and DB Kai.

I think that there's still a gathering waiting for their Vampire Knight...umm...OH and Kuroshitsuji. I keep hearing that one thrown about. Spice and Wolf would have made the cut, but it fortunately got picked up.

And of course you have the longer series like Gintama and Reborn! which I know nothing of, but hear are popular.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:08 am Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:
The high profiles that I can think of, that lie unclaimed are mostly recent stuff, like FMA brotherhood, Eden of the East and DB Kai.

I'm pretty sure FUNi already has the license for FMA Brotherhood and is already streaming it.

In the surveys I was pleased to have Kaiba as an option. I don't expect FUNi to pick it up, I was just very happy to know that companies were even considering it.
Kyon27

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm still crossing my fingers for Shakugan no Shana 2......hopefully not in vain
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I was extremely happy to see Kurenai on their last poll. I hope that got some vote-idge from people as it's really great. It's at the top of wish list of about 15-20 things that need a license.

It's good to have an anime company that cares about the fans and wants to know what they like. Fan participation in the selection process is also much appreciated.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I was extremely happy to see Kurenai on their last poll. I hope that got some vote-idge from people as it's really great. It's at the top of wish list of about 15-20 things that need a license.

It's good to have an anime company that cares about the fans and wants to know what they like. Fan participation in the selection process is also much appreciated.

I, for one, voted for it. So there's at least two. Now if only Dennou Coil was on there....at this point, though, I've lost hope about it being licensed. Who knows, though?
Tratious

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I really would love Funimation to license the brilliant Studio Bones (they already have Bones' Alchemist and Ouran) series Xam'd: Lost Memories/Bounen no Xamdou. Great series and I love the music and it ranks about 4th on my all-time fave anime series.

you do realize that Xam'd is licensed in america by Aniplex?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2