• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spring Season 2009 -- what are you excited for?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
Well with the spring season just around the corner, I thought I'd find out what people are planning to watch this spring; it's going to be a packed season.

Plus I love these threads since they alert me to new shows I might not have known about.

Okay, so for me:

Definitely watching

Edit: S&W apparently doesn't air until summer Anime cry

I am most looking forward to Spice and Wolf II. I loved the first season, the characters were excellent and the story was engaging and well-paced. I am thrilled to have a second season after more than a year.

Then there's Eden of the East. Looking at the credentials of the people making it and then watching the trailer got me really excited. This is definitely on my list.

And who isn't going to be watching the FMA reboot? (Unless you're waiting for a release in your country, that is). I have mixed feelings about this, but I'll certainly be watching.

Shows that are on the radar

Shangri-La-usually I'm not into hardcore apocalyptic sci-fi, but this looks intriguing from the sparse amount of information I have been able to unearth.

Taking over the M&H slot on Noise is Ristorante Paradiso which look cute and quirky and right up my ally if it sticks to intimate relationships between coworkers.

and Basquash just looks like so much ridiculous fun I might not be able to resist.

Well, that's it. What about you?

Cheers,
Rainbow

Last edited by rainbowcourage on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
And who isn't going to be watching the FMA reboot?

I've thus far avoided all things FMA related. Certain fantasy settings I like the sound of and others I don't. I have the resources available to go after shows which appeal to me in concept alone, instead of focusing on that which has received acclaim regardless of its settings or themes.
Plus, the remaking of FMA may run the risk of polarising the fanbase into those who prefer the original or the updated version; a scenario I try (and often fail) to avoid finding myself in.

On an unrelated note, is Wolf and Spice the official English name for the series, or is it Spice and Wolf?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:49 am Reply with quote
Is there a list somewhere that would be convenient to look at?

anyway, I plan to watch Basquash, not because I think that robots or basketball are particularly interesting to me, but because one of the guys from the Oban Star Racers team is in the lead, I'd like to see what they come up with. I've been trying more stuff in genre I don't normally watch ever since I've watched Princess Tutu as well.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
I believe it'll be best to link this:

I say this season has a nice mix of genres so there SHOULD be something for anyone. As for me, the only definite series I'm following is K-ON! on the account it could be like a moe version of Beck! Surprised

The rest is mostly I'll wait and see though in all honestly I think I'm more interested in the upcoming series for the summer season.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the List darkchibi07. I'm looking forward to this season of anime. It seems to have some promise to it. I've been looking forward to the new FMA for some time now (I hope it doesn't let me down). I'm also looking forward to Shangri-la (hopefuly it's better than Trinity Blood), Eden of the East, K-ON!, Konnichi wa Anna, Senjou no Valkyria, Pandora Hearts, Phantom, Rainbow Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin, and a few others. It's going to be a fun spring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
I am most anticipating the new Dragonball. I will also seek out Tears To Tiara, Before Green Gables, Asura, Natsu, Kiss My Deity, Hatsukoi, Basara, Alchemist, Saki, Valkyria, Juuden, Queen, Bakugan, and Shangri-La. That's a lot.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
As much as I was disappointed in Spice and Wolf for being a little too convoluted in it's business dealings, I'm probably going to watch the second season because Horo is awesome. Tricksy wolf-girl god FTW.

I'll probably follow FMA: The Remake because I need a decent shonen action-adventure series, and Bones knew what they were doing the first time, so this should be good.

Chi's Sweet Home will be a pleasant three minute daily diversion, I'm sure.

I might try K-ON! on account of it being Kyoto Animation's contribution this season, but if it's anything like Lucky Star, I probably won't stick with it.

I'm going to try Queen's Blade and hope it falls closer to Koihime Musou than Fate/Stay Night.

I will NOT be watching Hayate the Combat Butler 2, because I prefer my comedy to include jokes, rather than just references to as many anime, manga, and video games as the writers can fit in.

And, of course, I will be watching Natsu no Arashi, because SHAFT has not failed me yet.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
Well, the no-brainers are Fullmetal Alchemist and Spice and Wolf: Amber Melancholy since I've seen their previous seasons and liked them. I'm also already committed to Higurashi no Naku Koroni Rei, Tsubasa Chronicle: Shunraiki, and XXXHolic: Shunmuki for the same reason.

The new stuff that looks fairly interesting will be Shangri-La, Natsu no Arashi, Dogs, Bullets, and Carnidge, Denpa teki no Kanojo, and maybe Queen's Blade.
guet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
I'm probably one of the few people who didn't like the way the first Fullmetal Alchemist ended, so I'm looking forward to the remake. I've not read the manga, so I have no idea what to expect.

Guin Saga looks like an epic fantasy story, and the trailer was enough to get my attention.

Horo was one of my favorite characters last year, so Spice and Wolf II is also on my list.

I've read a bit of the Dogs, Bullets, and Carnage manga, if the anime keeps the same level of violence, it should be a good show.

I'll probably also check out Phantom and Shangri-La.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quote
guet wrote:
I'm probably one of the few people who didn't like the way the first Fullmetal Alchemist ended, so I'm looking forward to the remake. I've not read the manga, so I have no idea what to expect.

It's more like I'm one of the few who did like the way it ended. Many people disliked the ending. Still, I enjoy the manga as much as the original series. I think you may enjoy the new series, too.

Besides Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, I'm also looking forward to Dragon Ball Z Kai, Eden of the East, Cobra the Animation, and the Lupin III vs Detective Conan special.

The second FMA series should be interesting. There's a lot of scenes in the manga I can barely wait to see animated. The new DBZ take will be an experiment in nostalgia. Those are my definite go-tos for the season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
iorimasher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
I definitely can't wait for Guin Saga. The books are amazing so I expect the same from the anime.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:19 am Reply with quote
Slim pickings...

I might check out Eden of the East eventually but I would want to see the movie first.

FMA: Brotherhood I will probably see eventually too but I'm not especially eager. I didn't think the original series was the great.

Phantom is a possibility but I've rather disliked anime with 'mafia' themes in the past. They just don't seem to do it all that well.

Shangri-La sounds interesting but the picture makes it look a bit generic.

I generally don't bother to keep up with anything fansubbed though anyway.
randomanimefan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:35 am Reply with quote
Spice and Wolf II is at the top of my list. There wasn't anything wrong with the first animation studio (though Lawrence did seem a bit oddly drawn from time to time), but as long as the new studio stays fairly close to the original style, it'll be fine. It's great that the VAs are the same. Both main VAs are good, but Horo's VA is particularly outstanding.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:52 am Reply with quote
However I look at the titles for this season, my picks would be up to 3 or 4 out of the new ones. I don't know anything about them, except judging from the annotations, but let hope they would be (the) good ones: Rokubou no Shichinin, Eden of the East, Requiem for the Phantom, and Natsu no Arashi.
I'll be checking Sengoku Basara, Guin Saga, and Cobra, mostly because I'd like take some break with action based series.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:56 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I believe it'll be best to link this:

Thanks for that. When seeing so many titles I want to catch laid out like that I can tell I'm going to be a very busy guy.

First off, I fully intend to watch FMA and DB, but I'm thinking they'll both produce C&D orders pretty early on so I'm not getting my hopes up. That said:

Intend to watch:

Shangri-La - promising premise, Gonzo animation, and beautiful Range Murata characters designs completely sell me on this. Plus being shown on CrunchyRoll keeping it safe from FUNi C&D orders just seals the deal.

Eden of the East - Pretty intriguing, the trailer really sold it to me. There are a lot of questions that I want to see the answers to.

Guin Saga - It's been a long time since I've watched even a mediocre fantasy title, let alone a good one. I have high hopes for this series.

Valkyria Chronicles - If I owned a PS3 I would definitely own the game this is based on. The character designs, mechanical designs, and setting all strike a chord with me. Unfortunately I don't own a PS3 so this is going to be the next best thing.

Hatsukoi Limited - I've read the first volume of the manga and it genuinely cracked me up. It's a school romance title, but not a harem title (I'm really tired of those) and they actually do some clever things. One of the pairings spoiler[a quiet, reserved girl and monstrous, though misunderstood, brawler] just gets me every time.

Denpa teki na Kanojo - From the creator of Kure-nai, that's really all I need to hear.

Luppin III vs. Detective Conan - I'm only a moderate fan of either one, but I'm expecting big things for this pairing. I predict Conan won't catch Lupin and Lupin won't get the loot, but I still expect a fun story out of it.

To Love-Ru OAV - Didn't I just say I'm tired of Harem titles? Well, I guess I can make an exception for truly bizarre ones. It's being toted as a sequel so I want to see what comes next.

Some interest in, might watch:

K-ON! - I don't expect this to be the next Beck, but it could be a surprise hit.

Sengoku Basara - I like the character designs, always have, but I've never gone as far as to play any of the games (I think only Devil Kings is available in the US anyway). Could be good, we'll see.

Pandora Hearts - The trailer got my attention, could be worthwhile. Might be the next Vampire Knight.

Basquash! - I'm not even a little bit interested in basketball, but robots playing basketball could be good. The animation does look pretty great.

Saki - It'll be on CrunchyRoll for free so there's no harm in trying it out. I don't have any interest in Hikaru no Go, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the manga, this could work the same way.

Queen's Blade -- I don't expect it to be good, but there's no harm in looking. Anime catgrin

It's a good thing I have a lot of free time... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5