• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: This Boy Can Fight Aliens! Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Another auteur starting their career through an OAV made on their home computer is Yasuhiro Yoshiura with Aquatic Language and Pale Cocoon. He went on to make Time of Eve but, sadly, no one in the west has had the smarts to distribute his works. I think he is better than Makoto Shinkai - but that's a personal opionion, of course.

Thanks for the review. I wouldn't mind checking this out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The American Average

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
show looks fun maybe i'll give it a try
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Another auteur starting their career through an OAV made on their home computer is Yasuhiro Yoshiura with Aquatic Language and Pale Cocoon. He went on to make Time of Eve but, sadly, no one in the west has had the smarts to distribute his works. I think he is better than Makoto Shinkai - but that's a personal opionion, of course.

And he has Patema Inverted coming out this year, hopefully. From the three previews I've seen, it looks particularly awesome. Hopefully that film is substantial enough to flag down the licensees.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:59 am Reply with quote
Watching her two earlier videos and a promo for This Boy, it's clear that her work may be less refined than Shinkai's beginnings, but that's partly because of her style simply being different. It looks more like an illustrated children's story book, sketchy and watercolored.
These YouTube videos are not subtitled, so I can't really tell what the stories are like. The stylistic similarities between Robotica*Robotics and This Boy are clear though, much like Yoshiura's Mizu No Kotoba is clearly an ancestor of Time Of EVE.
It'll be interesting to see how Yamamoto's work develops in the future (and Yoshiura's new Patema movie).

ラ/ラジオノイズ*プラネット
ロボティカ*ロボティクス
この男子、宇宙人と戦えます。 予告編
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
Since Yamamoto has admitted to being influenced by boy's love titles, it should come as no surprise that the Arikawa/Kakashi relationship also shows suggestions of going farther that are prominent enough to trip most viewers' “gaydars.”
So it's not just the cover then.

That said, it doesn't sound bad for the price RightStuf has.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
Ah, that reminds me.
Note to Theron Martin: It's okay. We live in 2012 now. You can use the word gaydar without using quotes.

Last edited by Kimiko_0 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
I've been interested in this film since the Interview done by Ko Ransom so I'll probably rent it if I get the chance.
Honestly, I'm used to the sketchy, childlike artstyle that Ms. Yamamoto is trying to convey since, like Theron states, it's influenced by BL manga.

The one problem I may have is the whole "defeat your enemy one at a time". Wouldn't make more sense if the entire army or maybe a small platoon send in their forces to overpower Kakashi?

Theron wrote:
(Two girls holding hands while sleeping is usually regarded as harmlessly cutesy, but boys doing the same thing almost never is.)

Thanks for reminding me! ^__^
By any chance, will there be a review of No.6 Blu-Ray once it comes out this month?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
Theron wrote:
(Two girls holding hands while sleeping is usually regarded as harmlessly cutesy, but boys doing the same thing almost never is.)

By any chance, will there be a review of No.6 Blu-Ray once it comes out this month?[/quote]
I ended up dropping No. 6 because it became a chore for me to watch and then I heard the ending was bad. I just didn't like it's pacing, also it was weird and unnatural at times, because there was no romance between the leads and yet they would stuff to try to imply that they where together. that is also why many guys cry foul when to guys hold hands because straight guys almost never do that, girls at least occasionally do it, but it is still rare.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
I've been interested in this film since the Interview done by Ko Ransom so I'll probably rent it if I get the chance.
Honestly, I'm used to the sketchy, childlike artstyle that Ms. Yamamoto is trying to convey since, like Theron states, it's influenced by BL manga.

The one problem I may have is the whole "defeat your enemy one at a time". Wouldn't make more sense if the entire army or maybe a small platoon send in their forces to overpower Kakashi?

It's not that kind of story. The setup is illogical and somewhat surreal but it's primarily a metaphor not a realistic depiction of fighting aliens Smile.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

It's called Mook Chivalry.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Theron wrote:

Quote:
By any chance, will there be a review of No.6 Blu-Ray once it comes out this month?

I ended up dropping No. 6 because it became a chore for me to watch and then I heard the ending was bad. I just didn't like it's pacing, also it was weird and unnatural at times, because there was no romance between the leads and yet they would stuff to try to imply that they where together.

Even though I already pre-ordered No.6, I'll admit that the show had pacing problems and I really don't like the ending.

But, apparently, the light novel had a completely different ending, which I found via Live Journal, so.... for some reason the people at Bones felt compelled to make a new ending. :/
In the light novel, it was made 'clearer' that Shion had a one-sided crush on Nezumi but, then again, I've been watching/reading shojo/josei/boy love romance anime/manga for a long time so it was more obvious to me from the very first episode where their relationship was heading.
I asked mainly because I would like to know other people's opinions/critics on the shows I watch/want to watch. Even if I don't agree, I like having a discussion on it.

samuelp wrote:

It's not that kind of story. The setup is illogical and somewhat surreal but it's primarily a metaphor not a realistic depiction of fighting aliens Smile.

True; both Theron and Soubi Yamamoto (more or less) stated that it's supposed to be about bonds/relationships while dealing with uncertainty (thus, why Kakashi has amnesia). Sometimes I try to plug in logic into shows/films which are meant for open interpretation or as a visual metaphor for something more abstract.

Like when I was watching Angel's Egg I kept thinking to myself: "What the heck is she going to do with all those orbs of water? Shouldn't she be more worried about what to eat rather than prevent dehydration?" I need to loosen up more. -////-
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:

I was not aware that the same person who made Pale Cocoon also made Time of Eve, but I didn't think that the former was a solo effort. I also quite liked PC, but rate it a notch lower; it may be better than Voices in a technical sense (Yoshiura can at least properly draw characters) but isn't quite as hard-hitting in a writing/storytelling sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Was Voices really Shinkai's first work? Maybe he just didn't publish his earlier efforts, so his first published work looked better.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping the aliens would have a badass predatory design to them that would contrast with the boys love look of the show. Oh well, still sounds interesting.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Was Voices really Shinkai's first work? Maybe he just didn't publish his earlier efforts, so his first published work looked better.

most people can't fyi or later don't want to
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2