• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Licensor Sotsu Reports Lower 2Q Income, Profits

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't get it....wasn't Seto no Hanayome licensed and produced by GONZO and in fact, didn't sell well at all? (which is bad since it's a nice anime)...

Isn't SUNRISE the main responsable for the Gundam series? Yes, I know that Namco Bandai makes gunpla, games and gets profit from those...but....

Well, what I'm saying is that if anyone could enlight me on this topic, I would be grateful
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
No, I think Seto no Hanayome did sell well. It "became a hit franchise, but the other titles did not cover the agency's shortfall."
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
Well, what I'm saying is that if anyone could enlight me on this topic, I would be grateful
You want to know the truth, but can you handle the truth? Well let's find out, shall we?
ryanvamp wrote:
I don't get it....wasn't Seto no Hanayome licensed and produced by GONZO and in fact, didn't sell well at all? (which is bad since it's a nice anime)...
The copyright of the animated TV advertisement of My Bride is a Mermaid belongs to Gonzo, but it was adopted from the original manga of Seto no Hanayome, which is published by Square Enix, a subsidiary of NAMCO. The franchise's licensing is handled by Sotsu advertising agency, a subsidiary of NAMCO Bandai Holdings. So the big picture is NAMCO Bandai Holdings sponsored an advertising project through their Sotsu advertising agency, for NAMCO licensed Seto no Hanayome manga intellectual property. Sotsu advertising agency then subcontracted Gonzo as the production staff for the My Bride is a Mermaid animated TV advertisement, to be broadcast on TV Tokyo, a Japanese TV network station. Through unfair licensing agreement, Gonzo forked up the bulk of the animation production cost by becoming the sole copyright holder of My Bride is a Mermaid animated TV advertisement, therefore Gonzo can only profit from the My Bride is a Mermaid anime DVD sales. While Sotsu advertising agency can profit from licensing the original Seto no Hanayome intellectual property, to various other companies beside Bandai that make character related merchandises. So even tho the My Bride is a Mermaid anime DVD sold well in the niche Japanese anime market, but the character related merchandises of Seto no Hanayome didn't.
ryanvamp wrote:
Isn't SUNRISE the main responsable for the Gundam series? Yes, I know that Namco Bandai makes gunpla, games and gets profit from those...but....
SUNRISE owns the copyrights of all Gundam animated TV advertisements, but SUNRISE itself had been a subsidiary of Bandai Inc. since 1994. So it's Bandai who owns the entire Gundam franchise intellectual properties. So the big picture is NAMCO Bandai Holdings sponsored an advertising project through their Sotsu advertising agency, for Bandai's own Gundam franchise intellectual properties. Sotsu advertising agency then subcontracted SUNRISE as the production staff for the Gundam animated TV advertisement, to be broadcast on Japanese TV network stations. Through unfair licensing agreement, SUNRISE forked up the bulk of the animation production cost by becoming the sole copyright holder of Gundam animated TV advertisement, therefore SUNRISE can only profit from Gundam anime DVD sales. While Sotsu advertising agency can profit from licensing the Gundam franchise intellectual properties, to various other companies besides Bandai that make character related merchandises.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
That was an excellent explanation, Domtrooper, thank you VERY much.

So I guess even if SUNRISE doesn't want, for example, a FIGMA line produced by Banpresto (which I believe is currently owned by BANDAI, monopoly anyone?) of Gundam Characters, it doesn't even matter since SUNRISE only produces the anime series, and even then, they don't have free reign over the story since BANDAI HAS to make sure that Gundam is profitable (in example, making the re-release of old gunpla by adding "TRANS-AM" to the mix) and therefore, can and WILL affect the storyline if required...

That's too bad, but hey, I would LOVE to get gundam character's figmas (specially those of U.C) at least....yeah, I know that there's more chance of the 7445th release of a Haruhi Figma, but oh well...
Dante80

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Through unfair licensing agreement, Gonzo forked up the bulk of the animation production cost by becoming the sole copyright holder of My Bride is a Mermaid animated TV advertisement, therefore Gonzo can only profit from the My Bride is a Mermaid anime DVD sales. While Sotsu advertising agency can profit from licensing the original Seto no Hanayome intellectual property, to various other companies beside Bandai that make character related merchandises. So even tho the My Bride is a Mermaid anime DVD sold well in the niche Japanese anime market, but the character related merchandises of Seto no Hanayome didn't.
Quote:

Through unfair licensing agreement, SUNRISE forked up the bulk of the animation production cost by becoming the sole copyright holder of Gundam animated TV advertisement, therefore SUNRISE can only profit from Gundam anime DVD sales. While Sotsu advertising agency can profit from licensing the Gundam franchise intellectual properties, to various other companies besides Bandai that make character related merchandises.

Domfortress you keep repeating the word "unfair", and sorry, but its wrong in my books. When an animation studio get a subcontract for the release of anime based on others intellectual properties, most of the time the studio keeps the right to profit from its own work via the release and sales of physical and digital media, and through sublicensing said work around the world. In these situations, the animation studio acts (happily I might add) as a advertising company for the guys that contract it in the first place. To say that any advertising company "should" have property rights (or take royalties) for the product that it advertises (which belongs to others anyway) is as one can plainly understand, absurd. This is not how the advertising industry works, nor should it ever be imo. The same applies to the anime industry, when (and only when) the animation studios act as advertising companies...

Having said that, there are also a lot of projects where an animation studio acts as the main producer/property holder for both its primary product, and all derivatives. The cost is much higher of course, (together with the risk of producing and marketing mainly original concept projects with no established brand name or fanbase), as are the profits when/if the project succeeds.

But to tell the honest truth, cutting out the powerful distributors that traditionally dominate Japanimation can under certain circumstances be very painful for the studio, especially when/where there is a market crunch in the equation (does the name GDH ring any bells?). You could say then that yes, the current business model in Japanimation is unfair, revanchistic and fundamentally flawed regarding the splitting of royalties, properties, costs and profits. NOT because the animation studios get the short end of the stick (its supposed to be that way when others put in the money and the source material) but mainly due to the fact that entrepreneurs from inside the creative industry are strangulated in a tomblike, multifaceted and cast iron distribution standard that kills initiative, market evolution and globalization for the artistic medium. Wink
Jacut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
ryanvamp wrote:
You want to know the truth, but can you handle the truth? Well let's find out, shall we?
ryanvamp wrote:
The copyright of the animated TV advertisement of My Bride is a Mermaid belongs to Gonzo, but it was adopted from the original manga of Seto no Hanayome, which is published by Square Enix, a subsidiary of NAMCO. The franchise's licensing is handled by Sotsu advertising agency, a subsidiary of NAMCO Bandai Holdings. So the big picture is NAMCO Bandai Holdings sponsored an advertising project through their Sotsu advertising agency, for NAMCO licensed Seto no Hanayome manga intellectual property. Sotsu advertising agency then subcontracted Gonzo as the production staff for the My Bride is a Mermaid animated TV advertisement, to be broadcast on TV Tokyo, a Japanese TV network station. Through unfair licensing agreement, Gonzo forked up the bulk of the animation production cost by becoming the sole copyright holder of My Bride is a Mermaid animated TV advertisement, therefore Gonzo can only profit from the My Bride is a Mermaid anime DVD sales. While Sotsu advertising agency can profit from licensing the original Seto no Hanayome intellectual property, to various other companies beside Bandai that make character related merchandises. So even tho the My Bride is a Mermaid anime DVD sold well in the niche Japanese anime market, but the character related merchandises of Seto no Hanayome didn't.
ryanvamp wrote:
SUNRISE owns the copyrights of all Gundam animated TV advertisements, but SUNRISE itself had been a subsidiary of Bandai Inc. since 1994. So it's Bandai who owns the entire Gundam franchise intellectual properties. So the big picture is NAMCO Bandai Holdings sponsored an advertising project through their Sotsu advertising agency, for Bandai's own Gundam franchise intellectual properties. Sotsu advertising agency then subcontracted SUNRISE as the production staff for the Gundam animated TV advertisement, to be broadcast on Japanese TV network stations. Through unfair licensing agreement, SUNRISE forked up the bulk of the animation production cost by becoming the sole copyright holder of Gundam animated TV advertisement, therefore SUNRISE can only profit from Gundam anime DVD sales. While Sotsu advertising agency can profit from licensing the Gundam franchise intellectual properties, to various other companies besides Bandai that make character related merchandises.

Quite a nice explanation overall (except for the "unfair" part), but I don't know where you've taken the fact that Square Enix belongs to NAMCO, it's absolutely false. I personally work at BANDAI NAMCO and I can ensure you there's no link whatsoever between the two companies. BANDAI actually owns a Japanese manga editor though, but it's not SE, it's one of the "big four" traditional publishers: Kadokawa Shoten.

Coming back to your "unfair" statements, don't you find it logical that the company that puts up the biggest amount of money in the production plan gains the licensing deal for the anime? I find it quite logical personally, but maybe it's just me (although I know that sometimes, international rights are not decided like that, but that's just a detail).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Are these the people behind thos gunpla commercials where the people are in a board room with a cat?

I love those commercials.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Dante80 wrote:
You could say then that yes, the current business model in Japanimation is unfair, revanchistic and fundamentally flawed regarding the splitting of royalties, properties, costs and profits. NOT because the animation studios get the short end of the stick (its supposed to be that way when others put in the money and the source material) but mainly due to the fact that entrepreneurs from inside the creative industry are strangulated in a tomblike, multifaceted and cast iron distribution standard that kills initiative, market evolution and globalization for the artistic medium. Wink
Jacut wrote:
Coming back to your "unfair" statements, don't you find it logical that the company that puts up the biggest amount of money in the production plan gains the licensing deal for the anime? I find it quite logical personally, but maybe it's just me (although I know that sometimes, international rights are not decided like that, but that's just a detail).
Since NAMCO Bandai Holdings as the production committee did paid for the broadcasting fee with their ad venues and provided their Gundam franchise as source materials, for the Gundam animated TV advertisements known as the Gundam TV series, the why shouldn't they be the copyright holders of their own intellectual properties that's the Gundam anime, by contracting SUNRISE directly as the production staff and pay the studio at full for their works? Because they used Sotsu advertising agency as a third party entrepreneur and then subcontracted the entire advertising project to SUNRISE under budgeted.
Jacut wrote:
Quite a nice explanation overall (except for the "unfair" part), but I don't know where you've taken the fact that Square Enix belongs to NAMCO, it's absolutely false. I personally work at BANDAI NAMCO and I can ensure you there's no link whatsoever between the two companies. BANDAI actually owns a Japanese manga editor though, but it's not SE, it's one of the "big four" traditional publishers: Kadokawa Shoten.
Then how did a subsidiary of Bandai, Sotsu advertising agency, gotten their hands on the licensing of Square Enix's Seto no Hanayome manga intellectual property? Could it be that Square Enix used Sotsu advertising agency as a third party entrepreneur and then subcontracted the entire advertising project to Gonzo under budgeted, yet while Square Enix was the production committee did paid for the broadcasting fee with their ad venues and provided their Seto no Hanayome manga intellectual property as source materials, for the Seto no Hanayome animated TV advertisements known as My Bride is a Mermaid TV series?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1