• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nadia's Blue Water Pendant Replicas Sold

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm more interested in the picture.

HAMINA, HAMINA, HAMINA!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Regannator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
In case anyone doesn't know, cubic zirconia is nothing more than crystallized and compressed zirconium dioxide - formed through calcination of zirconium compounds. It's primary use is the white in various paints and pigments, due to practically zero toxicity.

A cubic zirconia rock the size of a fist goes for slightly higher rates than a glass gem of equal mass. In short...you're paying $160 foooooooooooor....something only slightly more expensive than glass.

Just figured I'd post this in case anyone was thinking this was "more genuine" than a glass replica pendant, and was planning to piss away a day's worth of labor. Y'know, The More You Know, and all that.

SpacemanHardy wrote:

Ever held a real woman in your arms? I'm gonna take a real quick-like guess here and say you're unfamiliar with the experience.
Jinxey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote
[quote="Regannator"]In case anyone doesn't know, cubic zirconia is nothing more than crystallized and compressed zirconium dioxide - formed through calcination of zirconium compounds. It's primary use is the white in various paints and pigments, due to practically zero toxicity.

A cubic zirconia rock the size of a fist goes for slightly higher rates than a glass gem of equal mass. In short...you're paying $160 foooooooooooor....something only slightly more expensive than glass.

Just figured I'd post this in case anyone was thinking this was "more genuine" than a glass replica pendant, and was planning to piss away a day's worth of labor. Y'know, The More You Know, and all that.

I seen the necklace and was like wow how cool is that, than see the price tag and pretty much said. "Not worth the money, I am a fan of Nadia, but I am not spending 160 on a necklace. And wow what you said makes me want the necklace even less.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:14 am Reply with quote
But it is harder than common glass, and I'd think the durability counts for something.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:32 am Reply with quote
From the article:
Quote:
..., a new run of pendants will go on sale in mid-November, coinciding with the television broadcast of a digitally remastered version of the title.

Wasn't the broadcast of the remastered version scheduled to begin earlier this year (on April 7)?

Regannator wrote:

Ever held a real woman in your arms? I'm gonna take a real quick-like guess here and say you're unfamiliar with the experience.

Feel better now? Have you met your mean-spirited quota for the day, or are you still deficient?
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
Regannator wrote:
In case anyone doesn't know, cubic zirconia is nothing more than crystallized and compressed zirconium dioxide - formed through calcination of zirconium compounds. It's primary use is the white in various paints and pigments, due to practically zero toxicity.

SpacemanHardy wrote:

Man you're a party killer. Anyways there's a lot of stuff that you pay for that the materials are cheap but cost a lot due to either rarity, demand, and logistics.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
There's tons of collector's items out there that are cheaply made and sold for $$$. Material cost isn't really a factor in the pricing of an item like this.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Personally, I'm more interested in the picture

You might appreciate the larger (640 x 907) version of the same image that Crunchyroll posted in their news article:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/08/14-1/now-you-can-buy-nadias-blue-water
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
Well it's nice to know that Hideaki Anno's "other" TV shows are getting the merchandise treatment. I miss Nadia~ ^__^

Still, I'm better off paying $160 for a real gemstone (or buying more manga/anime/artbooks).
Valsu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
I guess it's kinda neat that an older show is getting some love, but I think it's probably too late.

I mean, I love Nadia as much as the next guy; it's an amazing show, but I still wouldn't pay $160 for a large chuck of blue glass. I would imagine that it would look pretty dumb if you actually tried to wear it outside of Nadia cosplay.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I'd say Nadia and Gunbuster have received more love than Eva visually, those BluRays are already out, and Eva's BDs will only highlight all of the limits in animation even further.
Regannator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

Feel better now? Have you met your mean-spirited quota for the day, or are you still deficient?

I'm not deficient! I'm superior!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1