• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Dragonball Clips Posted by MTV

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prodigy_child

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Neato effects. At least in these clips Razz . The acting doesn't seem very good and I can understand why --the dialogue is just terrible, corney and cliche. Way too cartoony for a live-action. Though Justin Chatwin as Goku seems adorkable--BUT its not Goku.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Instead of a interview, there should be a segment of the director and the entire staff appologizing to anyone to actually watched the movie. Or at the very least have the directors admit the movie was beyond horriable.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I just hope DB: E don't get nominated for "Best Action Scene" at their next awards show, or they'll be totally irrelevant as a network.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Instead of a interview, there should be a segment of the director and the entire staff appologizing to anyone to actually watched the movie. Or at the very least have the directors admit the movie was beyond horriable.
imho I think the chances of that happening are as thin as a strand of hair, like the producers really care about what fans say, the most they care about is how much money they can pull in
HatakeMirukon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't see what all the bitching is about with the acting or how much things are changed. I can think of one other perfectly good "live action anime movie" that changed a whole lot, and to which I love the anime/manga eons better.

Death Note.

Light Yagami went to one psychologically deep person for having odd but well thought-out reasons to becoming "Kira", to just some guy who wanted to kill criminals because the way of real law wasn't good enough.

Misa.......well ok she did NOT CHANGE at all from either medium but I still am weirded out by how the Japanese spend so much on wigs and cosplay but can't afford to make her blonde in the film.

L went from being that sorta creepy but cooky character who seemed to know so much about "Kira" and his real identity to....just that creepy guy. Then he went from that to stealing the entire spotlight when the 2nd movie strayed heavily from the source material.

I had read before watching the 2nd movie that it "ended at volume 7 of the manga" so I felt "Ok, then for me, a Light fan, it'll have a happy ending!".

Nope. Instead the producers and director felt the need to describe the story up to tha tpoint loosely and then throw everything of story from volumes 8-12 out the window, and rushed a conclusion to how Light would be captured then, instead, by L.

No matter how many times I watch it, nothing adds up. The story, how the 'evil' side came to their conclusions, and how they ultimately got to Light. It makes no sense when compared to the source material, and for God's sake Misa and Souichiro Yagami witnessed Light's death which was infuriating for me as a fan. I mean I figure "How dare they make Misa suffer in this version of the film!"....well, that's my opinion.

Then there's the sometimes odd, lanky animation of Ryuk and the "where the heck did that come from?" transition of Rem from being a female shinigami to........being a male shinigami. Why was she suddenly a he? Was there any reason? No, but they did it anyways.

As if the 2nd movie wasn't bad enough for straying away from the source material, the 3rd movie based on L entirely was completely filler and somehow tried to fill in the lines as to how the story would work by secretly putting Near into the film; you just never knew it until the very end.

My point by all this? I don't see how DB:E is revered as being so horrible for how much it strays from the source when we had the Death Note movies and look how "great" they are. I call BS.

Plus I mean c'mon...everything in DB was over-dramatic, cheesy, and cliche. It just worked better for a cartoon because....it was a cartoon. Get over it.
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
HatakeMirukon wrote:
Misa.......well ok she did NOT CHANGE at all from either medium but I still am weirded out by how the Japanese spend so much on wigs and cosplay but can't afford to make her blonde in the film.

I think you just need to watch the live action Sailor Moon to get your answer for them not using a wig, and if they dyed her hair instead of a wig then she'd proably just look like a Gal/Ganguro or something.

I actually did like the Death Note movies, haven't seen the L movie yet though. Which is kind of strange for me because I usually can't stand live action Japanese movies because a lot of the actors they cast can't act from my eyes.

I for one am excited to watch the DB movie in the cinemas, but I don't think it'll pass "The Spirit" as a far as being a great comedy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else get a Trojan condom commercial as they watched these clips? Isn't this movie rated PG?

I found the cinematography and special effects to be very "Sci-Fi original" in quality. Coupled with the hammy acting, hopefully they're trying to play this movie for camp, as only half-serious (I don't think the original series ever expected to be taken 100% seriously either). If not, if they try to play this straight, then this is going to fail big time.
Wing_Goddess

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Sucks that Canadians can't watch it D:
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Wing_Goddess wrote:
Sucks that Canadians can't watch it D:

It'll be on YouTube before you know it.... and pulled just as quickly. Anime hyper
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
vapwaazu wrote:
HatakeMirukon wrote:

I think you just need to watch the live action Sailor Moon to get your answer for them not using a wig, and if they dyed her hair instead of a wig then she'd proably just look like a Gal/Ganguro or something.

I think they purposefully went for the bad hair effects with the Live Action Sailor Moon.

But that being said, plenty of people in show business in Asia that dye their hair blonde (and many other colors). I too wish Misa Misa had been done better in the movie - she's my favorite character in Death Note.

Anyways, I am both excited and bothered by Dragonball Evolution. I will see it in the theaters, and give my judgement then.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
You know that feeling you get when you're locking your keys in the car, and you WATCH yourself doing it, and you go "WhatamIdoin'-whatamIdoin'-whatamIdoin'..." ?

Yeah that's me on April 8th when I head out to see this thing.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
The thing about the DN movies is, even though they took some liberties with the source material,[According to fans, anyway, since I have yet to see them.] they didn't dumb down the story into a low-budget distillation of other more popular J-horror movies before it. I mean, it doesn't look like a Ring/Ju-On/Dark Water-wannabe; it looks like an adaptation of Death Note. And that's all fan really wanted from it. Unfortunately, knowing how Hollywood currently works, I wouldn't be surprised if the American DN does end up looking like a wannabe. Rolling Eyes
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Prodigy_child wrote:
Though Justin Chatwin as Goku seems adorkable--BUT its not Goku.

Totally agreed. I mean, didn't Goku spend most of Dragonball trying to tell the difference between boys and girls as opposed to trying to impress girls?

I can tell more than ever that all these characters are just in name only. Goku is too 'mature', Chichi needs entirely more bitchy, Bulma more screaming, and Roshi more... well, you know. Also, needs a little bald guy.

The movie actually looks like it might be midly entertaining, though I thought the special effects (at least the ones they're showing off here) to be inexcusably bad, even for a kung-fu movie. I feel bad for anyone that generally likes this movie then tries to get into Dragonball (or hell, even DBZ) the anime and finds it to be completely different.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hika Yagami

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
[quote="vashfanatic"]Did anyone else get a Trojan condom commercial as they watched these clips? Isn't this movie rated PG?

I found the cinematography and special effects to be very "Sci-Fi original" in quality. Coupled with the hammy acting, hopefully they're trying to play this movie for camp, as only half-serious (I don't think the original series ever expected to be taken 100% seriously either). If not, if they try to play this straight, then this is going to fail big time.[/quote]

I got a commercial telling me to work at Hooters XDDD. (over my dead body)

While I agree that the movie barely has anything in common with the original source material, I'm still going to see it anyways due to the campiness(not sure if that's the correct term) of it all. I enjoy a good campy show now and then, especially with poor fight scenes. It's also a good excuse to get some movie popcorn and snacks Anime hyper. There's also the fact that that my sis wants to watch it due to the fact that she likes that Justin guy for some weird reason Confused .
chibihoshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
It's a little strange on how it's a week and a half before the opening and I have not seen any commercials/promos for the film... though a part of me is not surprised. My friends and I have been talking about how the movie will just be a failure at the box office. We'll just have to see how it does when it comes stateside.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2