• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Listening to an Anime soundtrack while playing a game?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote
Ok, So your like playing one of your fav video games, like one of your fav RPGs, and you sometimes get bored of listening to the game music and you just like to mute the music at the game options but keep the sound effects and you insert your fav Anime Soundtrack into your computer or CD player or whatever and like to enjoy your anime soundtrack while playing the game.

so, how many of you like to do this often?

for me,sometimes when i'm playing an RPG game i've already beaten like Chrono Trigger and I get bored of the actual game music, and I mute it and like to listen to my Gundam Seed soundtrack while enjoying the game at the same time Smile
psychotim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:43 am Reply with quote
I do. Instead of muting the music, I just mute the TV, and turn on my PSP, put on my headphone and listen. I will do that with any Dynasty warriors game, and aslo MS Saga. I could really do it with any game because the subtext is still on. Most of my song are opening and closeing titles form all different shows.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Since the MapleStory BGM bugs the crap out of me (except in Perion and around Kerning City), I usually turn the volume off and put my iPod on with a GitS: SAC or .hack soundtrack. Or Horie Yui if I need something hyper to get me through leveling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:20 am Reply with quote
I listen to music all the time while playing games. RPGs can get quite annoying with the same battle music playing over and over again. Although, I don't really listen to soundtracks that often, just anime related music. Extremely high pitch voices with techno beat usually (cute stuff that drives most regular people crazy). Bands like UNDER17, Yuria, Sweets Tankentai, MOSAIC.WAV, Funta, Clover, and the sort...
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
Playing a game? Pssh, try the Fate-Stay/Night soundtrack while driving a car. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
Nah, not really. I'm that into gaming in the first place, and the games that I do play usually have great music already that heighten the experience. Could you imagine Rez without its soundtrack? Or Katamari Damacy without its quirky and offbeat songs? And there's no way I'd enjoy Shadow of the Colossus nearly as much without its phenomenal epic score by Kou Otani.

I guess I should play more games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:45 am Reply with quote
I turn off the volume of my GBA emulator when I'm playing Golden Sun 2: TLA and just turn on the WMP. Some puzzles are so long in that game you get sick of hearing the BGM (even though the game is awesome)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I listen to music it's a game that doesnt emphasize spoken dialogue at all. If there's cutscenes, I'll pause my MP3 player and watch it, but if the whole thing is just text boxes, I usually dont bother. I have plenty of anime music on it, as well as game and a ton of metal.
Jade L.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a big gamer (though I do love my DS Lite - Phoenix Wright anyone?) However, if you reverse the topic of this thread, i.e. Playing a game while listening to anime soundtrack? Then I fit the category. I often feel like just listening to anime music, so I fire up Spider Solitaire or Minesweeper as a complement to listening to the music Smile
Dracoowl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:06 am Reply with quote
Lol i wonder how can people live up to the maplestory tunes, soo repetitive and boring!! Especially the tune at the zombies in the forest of the dead. MUTE the music then listen to the music from FFVII advent children and anime music Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Maple Story music stinks. I've heard 8-bit games with better scores than that. Since I've recently picked back up in that game (God forbid I become real addicted like I used to be -_-), I just mute the sound and have my Windows Media Player play some random anime music instead. Suffice it to say, it's a lot better...

While I'm a it, I'll advertise my current character: a lvl 3x fire mage by the name of RoyMustang83 in the Oniwabanshuu Guild (led by my 5x Bandit Aoshi0083), so feel free to give a chime, but I won't add you to the Guild or my Buddy List. Training takes a lot of effort, and I don't want to be distracted by conversation Twisted Evil. And damn all those cheating hackers, the GMs are useless Evil or Very Mad!

I also once tried playing the DBZ Budokai games on mute and with the original DBZ soundtrack in the background instead, and that was pretty fun. But the lack of voices and the fact I had to run back and forth to program the music was a hassle, so I just left it how it is (even though the voices are still horrid >_>).

EDIT: Fixed some spelling.

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote
There are only some games I can do that with since I feel that in most of the games I play the music adds a great deal to the experience. However sometimes I'll play a soundtrack when playing a game casually. Sometimes Pokemon or Super Smash Bros. Melee are subject to this.
demon edge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I do listen to anime soundtracks when i play some video games.More often when the in-game music or songs are really on my nerves or when they are getting repetitive.I usually listen to popular soundtrack like some bleach openings or some others like erementar gerad, hellsing and many more..
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I've never done that. I do get really sick fo listening to the same thing sometimes, but I've never been so bugged I put on other music. However, I absolutely have to listen to j-rock while reading, usually while on the computer, and even sometimes while half watching TV Embarassed . When I read, I find it helps me concentrate somehow. It sort of tunes out the voice in my head I guess. Laughing
Asako

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Ah hahaha!! This reminds me of a time when my friend was playing Bust-A-Move (Japanese version) and she was playing Shorty's stage, and I decided to play the same song using my computer and 2.1 speakers at the same time. I had it ALMOST in sync but not quite, and she kept messing up and lost the dance.

HAHA I'm so cruel Anime hyper

But, for a lot of games I don't listen to anything but in-game music. Of course when you're hunting horde, it's always fun to have the Mission Impossible music going. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop But I've enjoyed playing FF: Tactics game music since it's so awesome! But that's not anime music... Maaya Sakamoto's works are always nice to listen to Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2