Forum - View topic
ANNCast vs. That Anime Show


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
noigeL



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 115

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I was equating the compulsion as an exaggeration.

That I even have to explain this very simple analogy is utterly maddening.


Anime should be fun. Addiction *not* fun. The two have no business being mentioned in the same sentence.

Use better analogies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 6160
Location: Penguinopolis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:

Anime should be fun. Addiction *not* fun. The two have no business being mentioned in the same sentence.

Use better analogies.


Still, reading comprehension alludes you.

No, I was talking about the compulsion to change things in a dub for little or no reason, and equating that with addiction, because it seems Funimation is hardly able to dub without doing things like that. Scenes go by with dialogue not even resembling the original intent, let alone the actual original script.

There's nothing "fun" about changing things in a dub for the sake of changing it. And if the fans continue to allow it, the dub studios will gradually lose interest in faithfulness.

My analogy was apt. Surely even a cursory glance at my posts would reveal my intent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
noigeL



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 115

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Still, reading comprehension alludes you.


No comprehension issues here. You're equating two things that ought not be equated on any level. Try having some tact.

penguintruth wrote:
No, I was talking about the compulsion to change things in a dub for little or no reason, and equating that with addiction, because it seems Funimation is hardly able to dub without doing things like that. Scenes go by with dialogue not even resembling the original intent, let alone the actual original script.


You're not going to get any more specific, are you?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SereneChaos



Joined: 14 Oct 2011
Posts: 373
Location: Middle of Nowhere, USA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I prefer looser and more natural sounding adaptations to awkward literal translation. If they have to change some of it to preserve the meaning, especially when it comes to jokes, then so be it. But I draw the line with pop culture references. I do not want those things anywhere near dubs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 6160
Location: Penguinopolis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
I prefer looser and more natural sounding adaptations to awkward literal translation. If they have to change some of it to preserve the meaning, especially when it comes to jokes, then so be it. But I draw the line with pop culture references. I do not want those things anywhere near dubs.


I have yet to come across any exceptionally awkward literal translations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Echo_City



Joined: 03 Apr 2011
Posts: 1236

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
lostrune wrote:

So no bad Sarah Palin or Britney Spears jokes? Laughing


If it's in the original script. Or (I guess) if some Japanese celebrity's mentioned in the original script and they need to find an American equivalent as to not confuse the twelve remaining people who can't use Google.

Otherwise it's annoying. Especially if the show takes place in Japan and they're making references to things Japanese people normally wouldn't. Or if it takes place on an entirely different world (how would the characters of Those Who Hunt Elves even know who Brittany Spears is?).

I don't want to hear Goku talk about how much he loves Pawn Stars.
Maybe it's for the Americans who don't want to have to Google some not-really-known-in-America celeb to get a joke. I know that I would prefer my pop culture references to be made via the pop culture with which I am familiar as it gives them intrinsic humor. I'm sure you've heard that old saw about "explaining a joke takes the humor out of it". I believe it applies here, I know it does to me.

I don't think you saw Those Who Hunt Elves. 3 of the main characters, including the guy who made the Spears joke, were from our world, they were teleported to the magical realm and the show chronicles their humorous mission to return here.

I thought Zac's interjection of "Really?" was classic. I do wish that Tatum had responded to it, but he's such a standout speaker that he took it in stride. Seriously, he was asked questions and was able to deliver a relatively thoughtful and coherent response, with a minimum of vocalized pauses (eg:"um", "ah"). A much better speaking session than that of the 2 Funimation PR guys from a while back (Lance Haskell and Adam Sheehan). Comparing their public speaking to that of other Funi people like Tatum, Clarine Harp, and Charlene "Patlabor" Ingram I'd almost think those guys would be out of a job Wink

My only regret is that the audio quality for Tatum & Terri was akin to listening in to a caller on an AM talk show via crappy speakers while parked under some powerlines. I know Zac gave us a heads up, but it downplayed the brutality of the low-fi audio; I was still blindsided. Rolling Eyes

Also it is saddening that Anime News Network, per the disclaimer, unequivocally disagrees with any and every view taken by Tatum, Terri, and Zac. Kinda brutal as I agreed with some of 'em, and I think of Zac as the soul of ANN...well, maybe more of the stereotypical devil that sits on its shoulder. I'm not sure who the angel would be.

"Disclaimer: the views and opinions you hear expressed by the participants in this show are not the views of Anime News Network Dot Com"

Sad Face Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
octopodpie
ANN Associate Editor


Joined: 02 May 2011
Posts: 701
Location: Washington State

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

Also it is saddening that Anime News Network, per the disclaimer, unequivocally disagrees with any and every view taken by Tatum, Terri, and Zac. Kinda brutal as I agreed with some of 'em, and I think of Zac as the soul of ANN...well, maybe more of the stereotypical devil that sits on its shoulder. I'm not sure who the angel would be.

"Disclaimer: the views and opinions you hear expressed by the participants in this show are not the views of Anime News Network Dot Com"

Sad Face Sad


I don't think you understand how those disclaimers work. All they mean is that ANNCast and Zac are not equivalent to a public relations statement from Anime News Network, a company. The disclaimer doesn't mean ANN disagrees or agrees with anything said within the podcast, it just means that the statements made belong to Zac and the interviewees and if you want to find out what ANN as a company thinks, you'll have to get an official statement from the CEO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
AmpersandsUnited



Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Posts: 65

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Maybe it's for the Americans who don't want to have to Google some not-really-known-in-America celeb to get a joke. I know that I would prefer my pop culture references to be made via the pop culture with which I am familiar as it gives them intrinsic humor. I'm sure you've heard that old saw about "explaining a joke takes the humor out of it". I believe it applies here, I know it does to me.


isnt that no different than making onigiri into sandwiches and jelly donuts? average American prolly wont know what certain Japanese food or customs are either, but only bad companies change stuff like that. how come people are okay but not food, culture, or customs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Haterater



Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Posts: 1012

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
I prefer looser and more natural sounding adaptations to awkward literal translation. If they have to change some of it to preserve the meaning, especially when it comes to jokes, then so be it.


That's what I prefer as well. I value the intended meaning over literal translating. Also make sure the work flows well to the native language you're translating for. I don't mind adding flavor to the translation as long as they don't over do it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
LUNI_TUNZ



Joined: 28 Apr 2010
Posts: 689

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Maybe it's for the Americans who don't want to have to Google some not-really-known-in-America celeb to get a joke. I know that I would prefer my pop culture references to be made via the pop culture with which I am familiar as it gives them intrinsic humor. I'm sure you've heard that old saw about "explaining a joke takes the humor out of it". I believe it applies here, I know it does to me.


isnt that no different than making onigiri into sandwiches and jelly donuts? average American prolly wont know what certain Japanese food or customs are either, but only bad companies change stuff like that. how come people are okay but not food, culture, or customs.


The companies who usually did that type of thing usually had much worse going on in there dubs.

penguintruth wrote:

No, I was not equating the severity of alcoholism with taking creative license in anime dubs. I was equating the compulsion as an exaggeration.

That I even have to explain this very simple analogy is utterly maddening.


Reading comprehension nothing, you're still comparing a psychological addiction to changing words in a cartoon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 6160
Location: Penguinopolis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
I notice that you have to attack my analogy instead of my point, because you have no argument to level against mine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Moderator


Joined: 25 May 2005
Posts: 5562
Location: Coon Rapids, MN

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:12 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
SereneChaos wrote:
I prefer looser and more natural sounding adaptations to awkward literal translation. If they have to change some of it to preserve the meaning, especially when it comes to jokes, then so be it. But I draw the line with pop culture references. I do not want those things anywhere near dubs.


I have yet to come across any exceptionally awkward literal translations.


Unfortunately anime is an artform, and artforms are entirely and completely subjective. Your issue is that you are essentially taking your subjective opinion and integrating it in to this discussion as a fact when it is not, and never will be. You see it your way and that's your right, and you have very legitimate reasons that enforce that choice, but in some cases others do not, and you need to accept that. Just because you haven't come across any such translations doesn't mean others haven't, and doesn't even mean they haven't come across that in shows that didn't come across that way to you. At this point your simply coming across as someone saying "my opinion is better than yours". You've been soapboxing on this issue for years now, at some point you have to recognize that people are going to keep having opinions, and they're not always going to line up with your own.

Quote:
I notice that you have to attack my analogy instead of my point, because you have no argument to level against mine.


Or because the analogy was in fact flawed. Or because he recognizes your point is just your perception and your opinion and sees no point in arguing his perception of something when you obviously perceive it differently to the point you attack how others might view it when they don't see it your way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 2974

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:26 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Maybe it's for the Americans who don't want to have to Google some not-really-known-in-America celeb to get a joke. I know that I would prefer my pop culture references to be made via the pop culture with which I am familiar as it gives them intrinsic humor. I'm sure you've heard that old saw about "explaining a joke takes the humor out of it". I believe it applies here, I know it does to me.

So what happens if you did that, substitute pop culture reference or simply make stuff up, say with a joke about a how one of the characters looks like an American pop star ... then later on the Japanese celebrity who was replaced in the translation appeared in the scene?

How do you get out of the pit you've dug yourself into? This could happen sometime later in the season with a simulcast, or it could happen in the next season for home video.

Secondly, that rationale about intrinsic humor doesn't make sense. The translation is now totally contrived and presents a cognitive dissonance. Why is a Japanese--or any non-American--character making references to culture foreign and unfamiliar to it? It breaks in-universe consistency.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
noigeL



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 115

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:16 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
SereneChaos wrote:
I prefer looser and more natural sounding adaptations to awkward literal translation. If they have to change some of it to preserve the meaning, especially when it comes to jokes, then so be it. But I draw the line with pop culture references. I do not want those things anywhere near dubs.


I have yet to come across any exceptionally awkward literal translations.


I take it you haven't listened to any of Central Park Media's "let's read the subtitle script verbatim" dubs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Asterisk-CGY



Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 291

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Eh when I watch anime I'd like to feel like I'm watching something Japanese.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group