• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Humanity Has Declined Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I actually thought the second story was really great, and had some really hilarious moments in it. (spoiler["Manga artists have no other marketable skills." "Too late to become a civil servant!"] Laughing) But hey, to each their own, especially when it comes to comedy. I do agree that the show seems a bit uneven, even if I did like all three stories so far.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
The middle two episodes were some of the best ones and are what really hooked me into the show, da hell you talkin bout, man? O.o
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
The middle two episodes were some of the best ones and are what really hooked me into the show, da hell you talkin bout, man? O.o

This. I'm not either of these:
Quote:
Perhaps if you're a manga artist or doujinshi aficionado, or at least a manga enthusiast,

and yet those episodes have easily been the best part of the show for me. Most people I've talked to about the show seem to agree.

"Uneven" is a good description of the show, though, and is the only reason I can't praise the show as much as I'd like to.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
I didn't hate the Manga arc but I sure thought it was the weakest of the three thus far. It had few fairies and wasn't about the end of the world; it didn't follow the humour and tone set down in the first arc.
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote
I've loved all the arcs so far, but I would agree that the show's uneven. I've heard opinions holding one or more arcs to be brilliant and the others mediocre in almost all combinations; I think that it comes down to taste and that no arc is objectively inferior to the others.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:36 am Reply with quote
I thought that episodes 3 and 4 where the second and third funniest in the series. while the 5 and 6 episodes were weak and not that funny (yes I have seen 2001 a space odyssey. giant cat...really.... I am sorry but it is to weird for it's own good sometimes. like episode 1 with the famous bread.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote
I loved the manga/doujinshi episodes! There wasn't a real weak episode for me so far, definitely the best series of the season IMHO!
unready

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:02 am Reply with quote
I also enjoyed the manga arc, despite the fact that I don't read manga, much more than the Pion/Oyage arc.

It's quite a festival of inside jokes, though. The humor would be utterly lost on anyone who doesn't know what Comiket is, for example. And the ending...
spoiler[
Fairy: Your fate is to take over running the family business.
"Me": I was already running the family business.
]

It's so funny, because it's so real.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:22 am Reply with quote
I cant say I disliked the middle episodes but they were arguably the weakest ones,still this is the best anime of the summer.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
well yea in show got bleeding breads, skinness naked headless chicken, manga creating to being manga world, & human space probes.

& those fairies wonder any will guess expect sooner we get anime version of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pV_NfTSctI

really this is turning into the YES YES YES to watch only need is sentai IF you're reading this please give this series a english dub on it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
I don't find the absurdism in the anime to be all that humorous, because it's presented in such a matter of fact and deadpan fashion, whereas that brand of weirdness serves anime like Dai Mahou Touge or Cromartie Highschool far better. As for pointing out things in society, the blunt and obvious approach of SZS always comes off better on me. I like this show a tiny bit, but I cannot call it the best of the season whatsoever, it's just alright. I actually found the manga episodes to the most intriguing, far better anything directly dealing with fairies or chickens.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
This show is cynical in a self-impressed way that really puts me off, and I found the main character's inner monologue especially grating. She keeps making these oh-so-clever observations about the other characters' stupid, contradictory lines that feel to me like the writer is trying to explain his own jokes instead of trusting the audience enough to get them.

I was going to drop it after the second episode, but I ended up watching episodes 3 and 4 because I'm a sucker for manga industry satire. I enjoyed them quite a bit and I thought the show was growing on me, but then episodes 5 and 6 brought back everything I disliked about the first two, despite the attempt to give the arc some emotional resonance at the very end. I guess this is just not my cup of tea.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I've liked it enough that I'm considering importing it, and I haven't come to that conclusion, yet, with any of the other series that I'm watching this season... Will it be my only one? Probably not, but I don't which one(s) I might also pester Amazon about.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:31 am Reply with quote
Although I largely agree with the review (and it's a nicely written one at that) I also vastly enjoyed the "middle arc". The reason for that may just be that the series did not stop being imaginative. On the contrary, I think the whole spin with spoiler[having them being transported into a manga and create it while being part of it at the same time (complete with an editorial margin and a nice little jab at the current practice of editing works to pamper the readers) worked really well for me.]
I must agree though that these two episodes(especially episode 3) where not as mind-blowingly weird or creepy (aka. awesome) as the rest. Also, I kind of missed the sci-fi references a tiny bit.

Anyway, good review!
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Without a doubt, the best of the season.

[insert obligatory "what, too DEEP for you?"]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2