• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
On the Set: Dragonball Evolution

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
One thing I think we all need to keep in mind is that the few of us in the anime fandom that try to boycott live action adaptions of our favorite anime really won't make much, if any difference at all. It's not like the only people who went to see Speed Racer were the people who watched it back in the 70's (or whatever decade it was from).

I think we've for the most part assertained by now if we want to see it or not (DBE), I for one won't go see it in theaters, but can't deny that I'll eventually watch it on DVD or something. I feel if I try really hard not to remember the original content, I might actually enjoy it so some extent. I mean, i've always thought that there's really no point to retelling an anime in live action unless you do some modification to the story or story-telling. Why would a company like fox pick up the rights to make a movie only to show us exactly what we've already seen, except with a ton of work put in?

In my opinion, fans need to be more open to this sort of take on the content, and be a little less... well, fanboy-ish. At least the actors all seem to be decently happy with the project, that's got to say something.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Either you're a dirty liar, or James Marsters holds the record for most horrible pun imaginable.

As has been mentioned it's ANN policy not to do April Fool's jokes from this website.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Peothra wrote:
The Spiderman movies were okay, The Hulk, Fantastic 4 and X-men movies were pretty bad. Herky Jerky in the following of the story line and such.

What do those have anything to do with anime/manga adaptations? They were from American comic books.
Peothra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Twilightmaster wrote:
At least the actors all seem to be decently happy with the project, that's got to say something.

They got paid lots of money. You would be happy too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Peothra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

What do those have anything to do with anime/manga adaptations? They were from American comic books.

I was criticized because I said ALL live action flicks, now, I am criticized for bringing up some American Comics....LOL I can't win.

I was trying to point out how bad LIVE ACTION FLICKS on a whole have been.

That's all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Truthfully, DB:E doesn't look nearly as bad as the hate makes it out to be. People are making this out to be the next Mortal Kombat: Armageddon or, even worse, Alone in the Dark. From what I've seen, this movie will be good, if it's nothing more than a goofy and fun popcorn flick. I know a guy who saw the movie online who is a Dragonball Z fan, and he seemed to enjoy it. I mean, he didn't say it was amazing, but he did like it.

I mean, let's face it: this movie won't be as bad as you think it will. Campy? Sure. Goofy? Sure. Wasn't Dragonball also campy and goofy? I think so. After all, when you get right down to it, the Dragonball, NOT DBZ, feel is related in the film. I think they will try to tighten things up for the sequel, which looks, by this point, inevitable considering that the budget was confirmed as $45 million, AND it essentially made about half it's budget back in Asia. Anime smile

Still, what I want to see as a result of this film is other, better Live Action movies based on anime, like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Evangelion, etc. being made. Cowboy Bebop looks like it'll be faithful considering Sunrise has the series on a choke collar.
FMPhoenixHawk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Honestly? As a semi-fan of DragonBall and it's follow ons, the movie looks okay. Not great. Not, "Wast $7 to see." But maybe $2 at the cheapo theater down the street.
Cliffjxn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
Speed Racer was a lot of fun.

Why does Japan seem happy with live action movies & tv dramas made off anime & manga & western fans are so violently against them?

I believe it has to do with fanboyism and eliticism. If you're in a certain group of fanboys, and they're hating on it, you go along with them. And then there are those people who think they know everything about anything that is to come.

The Japanese don't seem too happy with DBE.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Da Games Elite wrote:

I mean, let's face it: this movie won't be as bad as you think it will.

Yes, yes it will.
Cliffjxn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Da Games Elite wrote:

I mean, let's face it: this movie won't be as bad as you think it will.

Yes, yes it will.

Tell it like it is.
giascle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
People hated Speed Racer because it looked like an acid trip on acid trip and it made their heads hurt. I haven't heard anyone say they hate it because it's unfaithful to the anime.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
giascle wrote:
People hated Speed Racer because it looked like an acid trip on acid trip and it made their heads hurt. I haven't heard anyone say they hate it because it's unfaithful to the anime.

You haven't heard that you say? Either that's a very unfunny and poor attempt at April Fool's humor or you're living in one very dark and deep cave up there in Denver. Maybe the altitude and thin air is affecting you.
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Either you're a dirty liar, or James Marsters holds the record for most horrible pun imaginable.

As has been mentioned it's ANN policy not to do April Fool's jokes from this website.

Well then, apologies to Zac, and excuse me while I run this quote in all my sigs... except here. Never felt like doing a sig here.
Virenity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Quote:
At that moment, I fully believed that despite no matter what else happened in the final print of Dragonball: Evolution, that they had at least created a convincing villian —even if he looked nothing like his manga character.

You've hit on something there, Bamboo: If something is a bad adaptation, it needn't be automatically bad. For example, the movie version of "V for Vendetta" is a terrible adaptation of the GN, but if you pretended the GN didn't exist, it's a good movie in its own right.

Will "Dragonball: Evolution" (which from everything I've seen will be a pretty awful adaptation) do the same? I'm doubting it. I'm really, really doubting it. Unless it plays it heavily for campy fun.

Brace for decimated doubts. Enduring its entirety is a test of the will of man.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Zac wrote:
This isn't an April Fool's joke, it's just standard coverage. Yeesh.

You mean that...that quote was real?

...I need to go reassemble my brain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6