• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
On the Set: Dragonball Evolution

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobinobita

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Interesting interviews.

I think it's nice that they wanted the costumes to look authentic, however, if that was their goal then they should have studied Chinese clothing instead of Japanese. Dragon Ball's early setting was primarily Chinese inspired (by a book on China Toriyama got from his wife).

Goku (and many of the other characters) is based off of a Chinese folk character and practices Kung-fu. The earliest dragon ball designs had a kid that looked like Jacky Chan. His Gi isn't a Japanese Gi, it's a Chinese style martial arts outfit, probably inspired by the classic yellow Shaolin outfits. King Picollo himself is based off of Chinese demons and monsters. The Nameks arms are very much the famous fu-dogs guarding the Forbidden City:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ee/Forbidden_City_Imperial_Guardian_Lions.JPG

I'm surprised and a little disappointed that such a great costume designer as Mayes Rubeo would confuse Chinese clothing for Japanese.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
yojimboray wrote:
my 2 cents- not that it could ever happen, but I'd love to see the director of the anime direct the live action version as well with the original manga writer hired on as script consultant. I would also give them complete control over casting decisions. I mean, really, do you think the guys who created Akira or Ghost in the Shell aren't capable of making a Hollywood pic?

That's like saying the guys who created Final Fantasy are capable of making a Hollywood movie! Laughing
x_silversurfer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:47 am Reply with quote
Out of Respect for the shows, movies, and the franchise, I will be seeing this movie.

That is not to say that I will like it.

I can already feel joy of my youth being shat on by Fox.

I honestly don't think this is a Dragon Ball movie, so much as it is a rip off of a marketable franchise. Fox found a cash cow, of course they're going to milk it. Even if it kills the cow.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:38 am Reply with quote
Think of it in the vein of an alternate universe like this comic here

Zippydsm
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Going with how brain dead and watered down action flciks tend to be DBE dose not look that bad, in compression to Street fighter(any),DOA, Mortal Kombat, DOOM,ect,ect,ect

I loved Speed racer even with the hurried paceing, I did not like Transformers or Xmen(any) much, The first Punisher(2004) movie was good the 2nd one is shtty, Spider man 1 was good the others so so.

I love Hellboy and thought Batman DK was good,Iron man and Incredible hulk were solid.

As for DB/DBZ they have 2 directions to go in poty mouthed kids and furries like the Asiatic low budget films or kung fu star wars.... altho they kinda went kung fu moive+star wars on this one... IE instead of having anthropomorphic races and kung fu/MS mysticisms backed up by chi energy manipulation in a rural/campy sci fi style world they went with some lulzy action movie variant....

Hell Kami and MR.bobo are easily done have them as alien guardians of the world loosely disguised as Indonesian/asain gods floating on thier island in the sky.....

Get Michael Clarke Duncan for MR bobo :X

There is a balance in screen adaptation that's always lost because no one gives a flip about what it is they are doing look at Ghost rider and its mertrosexaul vamipers...oh sorry demons....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:24 am Reply with quote
I guess even the French can be as geeky as us Yanks. Stolen from IMDB. Laughing
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
Why do fans feel obligated to see this? If anything fans should feel obligated NOT to go see it. I don't think the people who made this movie should get away with slapping the Dragonball name on something that has nothing to do with the series. I'm not some rabid fan who expects everything to be exact but there was clearly no thought put into this movie outside of it being a possible payday. I mean honestly, you have the costume designer saying Goku's gi can't be orange because that means he's SS3 when Goku wore orange throughout the entirety of DBZ near the end of DB? Black armor is more interesting than Piccolo's signature turban and cape? If you wanna make Goku a student fine, but make him resemble the original character! Instead of daydreaming about girls we should be seeing him gorging in the cafeteria. ChiChi should be the one chasing him not the other way around. And really Master Roshi couldn't even get a beard? Heck not even a little white goatee? Sunglasses? Something! Everything in this movie seems to have been done "just because" rather than having any care or concern for the source material and that's what gets me. It's the same principle they used with Spider-Man 3 (the new Goblin should get a hoverboard and a sword because hey...that's cool).

The actors don't even seem all that enthusiastic and my guess is because they know what they made. Half of that Chow Yun Fat interview didn't even concern the Dragonball movie. It was more like "So now that you have this out of the way what's next?" If they wanted to adapt Dragonball they should have looked at the 20th anniversary movie that was made. In that they got most of the essentials of Dragonball but managed to do a self contained story (it's the one that looks like GT and 8th Chan plays a big role).

I think a lot of fans are against adaptations into live action because the source material is fine as is and a lot of times couldn't be translated into a live action. That's not to say it can't be done and there are times it turns out well. But something like say Evangelion all I can ask is why? I'm also in the camp that says Speed Racer didn't deserve to bomb because it was well done and faithful on all fronts so I don't know what the heck people expected out of that one. As a fan all I ask of movie studios if you want anywhere between $8 to $35 (assuming I'd like to get the DVD) of my money because you choose to make an adaptation that's fine and I welcome it but please show some respect.
Zippydsm
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Why do fans feel obligated to see this? If anything fans should feel obligated NOT to go see it. I don't think the people who made this movie should get away with slapping the Dragonball name on something that has nothing to do with the series. I'm not some rabid fan who expects everything to be exact but there was clearly no thought put into this movie outside of it being a possible payday. I mean honestly, you have the costume designer saying Goku's gi can't be orange because that means he's SS3 when Goku wore orange throughout the entirety of DBZ near the end of DB? Black armor is more interesting than Piccolo's signature turban and cape? If you wanna make Goku a student fine, but make him resemble the original character! Instead of daydreaming about girls we should be seeing him gorging in the cafeteria. ChiChi should be the one chasing him not the other way around. And really Master Roshi couldn't even get a beard? Heck not even a little white goatee? Sunglasses? Something! Everything in this movie seems to have been done "just because" rather than having any care or concern for the source material and that's what gets me. It's the same principle they used with Spider-Man 3 (the new Goblin should get a hoverboard and a sword because hey...that's cool).

The actors don't even seem all that enthusiastic and my guess is because they know what they made. Half of that Chow Yun Fat interview didn't even concern the Dragonball movie. It was more like "So now that you have this out of the way what's next?" If they wanted to adapt Dragonball they should have looked at the 20th anniversary movie that was made. In that they got most of the essentials of Dragonball but managed to do a self contained story (it's the one that looks like GT and 8th Chan plays a big role).

I think a lot of fans are against adaptations into live action because the source material is fine as is and a lot of times couldn't be translated into a live action. That's not to say it can't be done and there are times it turns out well. But something like say Evangelion all I can ask is why? I'm also in the camp that says Speed Racer didn't deserve to bomb because it was well done and faithful on all fronts so I don't know what the heck people expected out of that one. As a fan all I ask of movie studios if you want anywhere between $8 to $35 (assuming I'd like to get the DVD) of my money because you choose to make an adaptation that's fine and I welcome it but please show some respect.

Why do companies feel its necessary to by pass the millions of fans in place to try and make something that might be watched by a few million more people who are drooling idiots in their media consumption?

Lets debase everything to its common denominator so the media mafia can make more money and sht more crap put for us to consume.

uhg its almost as bad/truthful as the analogy the world and its people do not want to become better because humans are to selfish and petty to work for common goals...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
In a move I'm sure you didn't see coming from a mile away, Dragonball Evolution won't be screened for critics.

Shocked, I am. Shocked.

Last edited by Tenchi on Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Dragonball Evolution[/i] won't be screened for critics.

Looks like there's some adult content on that site.

I suppose this film comes with the disadvantage that the existent DB fanbase, at whom Fox would aim this film in absence of any positive reviews to entice general viewers, already has reason to hate the film before it's been released.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh, okay, I changed the link to the source article that Sankaku Complex used, which I didn't see at first amidst their cloud of other links.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Some IMDB'er's "leaked" premise on the "sequel":

Quote:
Vegeta is Goku's rival in advanced calculus. They compete for their college professor Frieza's favor but Vegeta sabotage's goku's first math test, which sparks a bitter rivalry between the two in an epic battle of the brains!

Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Some IMDB'er's "leaked" premise on the "sequel":

Quote:
Vegeta is Goku's rival in advanced calculus. They compete for their college professor Frieza's favor but Vegeta sabotage's goku's first math test, which sparks a bitter rivalry between the two in an epic battle of the brains!

Laughing

Sounds like a Zac review.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Now the budget appears to be $120 million. Rolling Eyes Thanks to IMDB for the link.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Funny that Namdai is the only one willing to provide banner ads for the movie. I wonder why. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6