• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
On the Set: Dragonball Evolution

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quote
I probably enjoyed the interview with Joon Park the most.

Quote:
As a recording artist in Korea, if you put out a new album, you know what fans want. If you give them what they want 100%, it's no fun to them anymore. There is nothing new. So what you have to do is meet that fine line of 50% of what you want to give to them, and 50% of what they want to see. You meet in the middle, and that goes a long way, because then you're growing. Just like what I think about this project. If you were to make it too much like the anime, why not just watch the anime?

Touché.

I'm not defending the movie, which I haven't seen, but I just think that's a good point.

Also, seeing James Marsters' famous quote, "It's like a dragon that you have to ride. And you can't kill your own dragon. You can't chop off your own balls" in context at least shows us that he seems to get the show even if his choice of words is unintentionally friggin' hilarious.

Eriko seems the most clueless of all of them, in her interview:
Quote:
What did you try and take from the original show, and bring to your character?

I was asked the same question by the Japanese press a few days ago. They were concerned because they are big fans of the cartoon. They wanted to know how each character would be portrayed in this movie, and I think I would love to do justice to my character.

Avoiding-answering-the-question jutsu! But in all fairness, how is she supposed to answer that? "Well, I couldn't take much from the original show because Mai is from a different storyline altogether and she doesn't shapeshift or use guns, so, yeah, next question?" (Does Mai use guns? I actually don't remember. Anyway, you get the point.)

At least I think we can give credit to the actors for caring about doing a good job. So if the movie is terrible (as Zac assures us it is), we know to blame the scriptwriter and director.

P.S.: I just love how DB:E opens today in the U.S. and somehow already has over 3,800 votes giving it an overall score of 3.1/10. I still can't figure out how the makers of this film managed to run over the dogs of so many individual fans; I mean, I assume that's the reason for the hate, right? Cause without seeing the movie I can't think of any other justification.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:

P.S.: I just love how DB:E opens today in the U.S. and somehow already has over 3,800 votes giving it an overall score of 3.1/10. I still can't figure out how the makers of this film managed to run over the dogs of so many individual fans; I mean, I assume that's the reason for the hate, right? Cause without seeing the movie I can't think of any other justification.

Because the movie can be leaked and already has been. In fact, I did check it out because I was THAT curious. (I wouldn't, especially with live-action but this one... I don't mind even WHAT quality its in).

To be honest, I know some things about DB but never been a fan per say. The movie though, I thought was just a bad movie overall.... Cheesy and cliche, and mish-mashed together into ONLY an hour and ten minutes (so, it's too SHORT to even accomplish anything, and new characters just pop out of nowhere, and I think the Dragonballs were found in like 15 minutes 0_o). This is my honest critique, not that I had high expectations. But just the storyline made for it and the lines... I could predict the next thing someone said half the time 0_o The script reminded me of Twilight's, in which the movie I was not a fan of either (haven't read the books either, but reminded me of something of a fan-fic level).

But yeah... it was just another "Eragon" but not even AS good as it :/ (never read the book, however I actually enjoyed the movie 0_o. The use of CG was actually nice in it, compared to Shen Long's :/ Still, I know what people who DID read it thought.) Personally, it made Eragon looked GOOD^^ So I thought...

*Waiting for Hollywood to please me >_>* Well, I think younger kids will enjoy this the most. Some parts of it almost screamed Power Rangers ._.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:

Touché.

I'm not defending the movie, which I haven't seen, but I just think that's a good point.

This is a blog post by John K that I agree with (Do All Bland Movies Make Profits?): http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2007/08/do-all-bland-movies-make-profits.html

Quote:
Personally, I think there are many factors that might affect the success or failure of a movie. Marketing, having a brand name luck...Blandness doesn't affect it at all. In an age of blandness when no one offers up any competition-like we have today, then some bland movies have to be successful- because Moms are always going to take kids to kid movies, whether they are good or bad.

Although it's about animation and I personally don't think Iron Giant is bland but I think the point is, cold calculating and "playing safe" doesn't guarantee profit. I honestly don't think anyone wants to see Son Gokuu as a "relatable" high school kid or fantasy elements totally watered down. It's just "playing safe".
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
The first Friday estimates (and opening weekend guesstimates) are in.

Steve Mason wrote:
EXCLUSIVE STEVE MASON EARLY FRIDAY ESTIMATES
1. NEW – Hanna Montana The Movie (Disney) - $15M, $4,811 PTA, $15M cume
2. Fast & Furious (Universal) - $10M, $2,880 PTA, $99.25M cume
3. Monsters vs. Aliens (Dreamworks/Paramount) - $8.1M, $1,958 PTA, $126.5M cume
4. NEW – Observe & Report (Warner Bros) - $4.25M, $1,558 PTA, $4.25M cume
5. The Haunting in Connecticut (Lionsgate) - $1.7M, $625 PTA, $42.28M cume
6. I Love You Man (Dreamworks/Paramount) - $2.11M, $798 PTA, $54.7M cume
7. Knowing (Summit) - $1.95M, $667 PTA, $63.28M cume
8. NEW - Dragonball: Evolution (Fox) - $1.92M, $880 PTA, $1.92M cume
9. Adventureland (Miramax) - $1.1M, $586 PTA, $9.11M cume
10. Duplicity (Universal) - $750,000, $382 PTA, $34.6M cume

EXCLUSIVE STEVE MASON EARLY 3-DAY ESTIMATES
1. NEW – Hanna Montana The Movie (Disney) - $33.6M, $10,776 PTA, $33.6M cume
2. Fast & Furious (Universal) - $26.4M, $7,604 PTA, $115.65M cume
3. Monsters vs. Aliens (Dreamworks/Paramount) - $20.6M, $4,981 PTA, $140M cume
4. NEW – Observe & Report (Warner Bros) - $11M, $4,034 PTA, $11M cume
5. The Haunting in Connecticut (Lionsgate) - $6.06M, $2,227 PTA, $46.64M cume
6. I Love You Man (Dreamworks/Paramount) - $5.7M, $2,157 PTA, $58.28M cume
7. Knowing (Summit) - $5.6M, $1,915 PTA, $66.93M cume
8. NEW - Dragonball: Evolution (Fox) - $4.85M, $2,224 PTA, $4.85M cume
9. Adventureland (Miramax) - $3.41M, $1,818 PTA, $11.42M cume
10. Duplicity (Universal) - $2.47M, $1,260 PTA, $36.32M cume

Wow, looks like it won't even make the tracking numbers I've seen ($6 million opening weekend).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quote
Pretty much guessed it'd do that horribly here. It doesn't stand out very well. The reason it opened to #1 in China is they ban[er, use a "quota" on] most movies there. BTW, another brilliant NSFW jab @ FOX. Rolling Eyes
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
To be fair, Good Friday is like the worst day to release a film. Everyone is with there family. Even Box Office Mojo says some data is unreported due to the holiday. BTW according to them it is already above the 1.92M that Mason reports.

I am not saying the movie doesn't suck or that the movie will end up doing well. Just that it is a horrible day to open a movie.

We won't know truly how much it bombs until next weekend. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
We won't know truly how much it bombs until next weekend. Twisted Evil

But we can speculate about it Twisted Evil
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I consider myself a pretty avid fan of the DB anime (I don't like to read manga), and I still rather enjoyed the movie. Or at least, I was completely surprised at how much I enjoyed it because I went in thinking it would bomb.

Sure it had its face palm moments, but once you realize it is an adaptation and not a conversion, it really isn't that bad.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Sure it had its face palm moments, but once you realize it is an adaptation and not a conversion, it really isn't that bad.

An interesting opinion! From what I've heard from others who've seen it, the leniency you grant the production may be met with some surprise and perhaps even disbelief. I have read the Wikipedia plot synopsis, and I think it could do well had it not included content unsuitable for unaccompanied children.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

We won't know truly how much it bombs until next weekend. :twisted:

Oh, we'll know by Monday, when the weekend "actuals" are in at Box Office Mojo. That's when we can officially call it "DragonBOMB EPIC-FAIL-lution".

This thing isn't going to have any legs, trust me. It'll be on the dollar screens by the end of the month.
braves

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:

I watched it today and I agree. I mean, it's bad, but it's not "I want to blow my brains out" bad. I'm sure that if it weren't based off a manga/anime franchise that every fan would just think of it as yet another sloppily made martial arts movie and forget about it in 2 minutes.

But seeing as how it is, we just have to keep beating on this horse. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Dargon: It's a perfect day if you're Hannah Montana and Fast and Furious. Laughing Anyway, BOM had it slightly higher at $2 mil, but it's still number 8 so far.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Dargon: It's a perfect day if you're Hannah Montana and Fast and Furious. Laughing Anyway, BOM had it slightly higher at $2 mil, but it's still number 8 so far.

I agree. The way I look at it, a lot of people are going to be traveling on Good Friday and that Saturday to get to their families, and the ones who aren't will be already with their families. Of those people that do decide to go to a movie, chances are they will be with their family. And of those the situation will unfold something like this.

Brother and Sister: Let's go see a movie.

Mom: What do you wanna see.

Brother: Dragonball Evolution!

Sister: Hannah Montana!

Mom: *thinks for a minute*
*"Hannah Montana is a show I might enjoy, heck I might even relive my teen years and remember how silly I was back then, DB:E is just a stupid fighting movie"*

We'll see Hannah Montana.

Brother: But mom!?

Mom: We can see it next week, or it will always come out on video.
*"yeah right Rolling Eyes "*

-----

Anyway, I have no doubt DBE will bomb. Just saying it's bad weekend for any movie that's not a feel good family movie.

Unless... Twisted Evil

Kids: Let's see Fast and Furious.

Mom: *At least I can fantasize about Vin.*
Okay! Laughing
Soul Tsukino

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Mayes Rubeo sounds like a hoot to work with.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Brother and Sister: Let's go see a movie.

Mom: What do you wanna see.

Brother: Dragonball Evolution!

Sister: Hannah Montana!

Mom: *thinks for a minute*
*"Hannah Montana is a show I might enjoy, heck I might even relive my teen years and remember how silly I was back then, DB:E is just a stupid fighting movie"*

We'll see Hannah Montana.

Brother: But mom!?

Mom: We can see it next week, or it will always come out on video.
*"yeah right Rolling Eyes "*

-----

Anyway, I have no doubt DBE will bomb. Just saying it's bad weekend for any movie that's not a feel good family movie.

Unless... Twisted Evil

Kids: Let's see Fast and Furious.

Mom: *At least I can fantasize about Vin.*
Okay! Laughing

Or mom & daughter go see Montana & dad & son go see DB:E

Or old enough they go see Observe & Report. Ray Liotta still has pretty eyes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6