• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shangri-La -- discussion thread.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I’m disappointed. No Shangri-La thread yet? Sad

ANN’s Shangri-La Page
Japanese main site
English main site

GONZO x Range Murata is back. Last time we saw these two names together was in 2003 with the release of my beloved Last Exile. (If you want to get technical, Murata also did some design work on Solty Rei and Mardock Scramble, which was canceled [to my greatest distress].) Anyway, if this isn’t enough reason to watch, then... I guess I’ll just have to convince you some more.

Here’s the opening animation for those of you who haven’t already seen it. Thanks to SneakerPimp for the link. The opening theme is credited to May’n (May Nakabayashi), of Macross Frontier fame.

The story is based on a novel by Eiichi Ikegami with original illustrations by Kenichi Yoshida (Eureka Seven). (I was given a link to some of the novel art here.) Set in a tropical Tokyo turned into a jungle by global warming, the privileged are housed comfortably in a tower city called Atlas. The less-privileged masses, of course, are left to struggle for life in the jungle. Kuniko Hojo and her band of anti-government guerillas are aiming to fix that, however. And that’s basically all I know.

The series begins this Sunday, April 5, so be ready. Remember that it will be aired on Crunchyroll as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
AG where ya been, girl? Wink

I am so on this show it's not even funny. I'm really excited about it, and you're right, judging by the trailer it does have an almost Last Exile feel to it. I'm also intrigued since we basically only saw one character in the preview, though there are others in the OP.

I must say, that's an pretty impressive OP, I like the CG going on and I dig the character designs. All the super-powered women and girls also gives a Kiddy Grade feel to it (though a lot less silly).
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm looking forward to this series. It seems to have an interesting concept. As Gonzo usually does, it seems that it's going to have nice animations. But Gonzo also tends to run the line of either working on really cool stuff or really crappy stuff. I'm really hoping that it turns out good and then gets a release in the U.S. quickly. Either way I'm planing to fallow this series closely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
All that I can say is that I'm eagerly waiting for the show to start!
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
AG where ya been, girl? Wink

Dead. No, really, I've been working on greater priorities (like school) and it's been hectic to say the least. Still been lurking, though; I'll never leave this place for good, I can assure you that. Smile

Anyway, glad to hear everyone's excited as I am. Been waiting for another anime clad in Murata's designs for forever.

Mushi-Man wrote:
But Gonzo also tends to run the line of either working on really cool stuff or really crappy stuff. I'm really hoping that it turns out good and then gets a release in the U.S. quickly.

Don't want to be one to speak too soon, but I'm fairly certain this is one of those shows GONZO that'll turn out better than all right. I mean, just seeing Murata's name on the staff list and knowing what else they both have been involved with means a lot. Since they've chopped down their output from eight shows a year to four, I'm predicting less crap and more quality.

Though I doubt we're going to see a quick release, as there's plenty of other goodies still waiting for a license. Then again, you never know what FUNimation's going to pull out next.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
If the character design and music is similar to Last Exile I'm sure it will be good if the story is good. I have high expectation for this show so it better perform. Smile
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, from the preview it seems that the LastEXILE similarity ends with character design. The setup reminds me too much of Origins, but hopefully this show does not end up being that mediocre. I really hope it's good, but I can't help but be skeptical, since Gonzo has not released a good show in years.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
Nice, thanks for starting a thread, I'm looking forwards to this exactly like you. Last Exile is probably one of my all time favorite series, and it sucked so much when Mardock Scramble got canceled, I still remember those great looking character drawings Murata did and that sweet teaser trailer and the interesting sounding story.

My interest was peaked for Shangri-La by the scifi story, Murata character designs, the Last Exile music composer, and the potential of a seemingly very good writer.

Ausdoerrt wrote:
Well, from the preview it seems that the LastEXILE similarity ends with character design. The setup reminds me too much of Origins, but hopefully this show does not end up being that mediocre. I really hope it's good, but I can't help but be skeptical, since Gonzo has not released a good show in years.

Actually, I think the setup with the guerilla group the main character leads going against the government has a bit of a Last Exile feel, but as far as Origin goes I think you're focusing more on the setting than on the story and judging from what we know it should be nothing like Origin.

While the nature theme is present with creating the setting, according to the synopsis the story sounds like it's completely different and the heroine and her group aren't even fighting for nature at all.

Judging from the synopsis of the show and the book on ANN, we've got the gorilla anti-government group the main character is part of fighting against Atlas and the way it does things and marginalizes those who aren't allowed inside but are stuck struggling to live in the jungle.

Also, in addition to Murata it will also have the same main music composer as Last Exile (though we've only heard the OP done by May'n so far) so there's another connection.

If only this show can somehow turn out good, I really like the setup and the staff involved. I hope they can pull off a good show.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
CrunchyRoll's given their airdate for it, and they also have a message from the directo. Relevant part:

"You might find SHANGRI-LA a little different from the GONZO animes you’ve known. I am sure it’s a show anyone can enjoy, so I hope you watch it to feel the messages we have put in."

Hmm hm.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I do not usually trust the messages from the people involved with the project. Thus, the message sounds like an ad to me =)
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
All he's saying is it's different from typical Gonzo stuff.. he's not saying it's "ZOMG AWESOME AND GOING TO BE A 5/5 MASTERPIECE!!!".... Though this being different from stuff like Saki, Strike Witches, Kurogane no Linebarrel and Dragonauts should've been obvious anyway.

Anyway second CM is on the website

http://www.anime-shangri-la.jp/img/10_pv/player.swf?movie=cm_02.flv

Footage from the episode itself, looking the goods.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:51 am Reply with quote
Yes, yes it is. Love the art style.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Just saw episode number one and was confused about spoiler[the carbon market and everyone thing having to do with carbon] For a first episode it was actually really confusing but I'm guessing as the show goes on I'll get a better understanding. It was interesting and also when spoiler[the boomerang hit the guys dagger everyone with a similar one heard a sound] was interesting, wonder what that could be.

Looking forward for the next one!
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
that was very odd, not bad at all though. i'm really curious what the heck happened at the end of the episode.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Even though we didn’t learn too much (except probably about carbon taxes), I think the first episode was a good intro to the series. It has me very interested to continue on, not that I wasn’t going to already. But I don’t think it was necessary to introduce basically all the main characters (plus a few) in just one episode.

Kuniko is likable enough (but a little too well liked around town imo), and Momoko is great. The two make a good team. Lady Ryoko reminds me a lot of Delphine from Last Exile. Overall, I didn’t find a character that I particularly dislike.

I'm guessing the carbon stuff will be either completely explained as the series progresses, or it won't really be that important, but it doesn't seem too complicated. Neo-futuristic Tokyo looks quite lush and detailed, making for an interesting setting. I'm expecting more quality down the road.

Liked that little conflict at the end. I wonder how spoiler[those knives are connected.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7