• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Basquash! (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote

Basquash! (TV)

Genres: adventure, science fiction, tournament
Themes: basketball, giants, mecha

Plot Summary: On the planet Earthdash, its inhabitants gaze on its moon and the technologically advanced lunar city of Mooneyes with awe. Dan JD, a boy living in Rollingtown on Earthdash’s surface, gets caught up in Bigfoot Basketball—a fast-paced sport played with giant Bigfoot robots.
----------------------------------

It's from the creator of Macross-not a favorite of mine, but I recognize its merits. I'm also a big fan of genre mixing and mashing, and while a mecha/sports anime could go horribly wrong, I think it's in good hands here. Basquash! might just be the thing for my fun spring fix (since I always avoid the flux of stupid harem romances that generally make me want to bang my head against our concrete basement floor).

The character designs are a plus, they're flamboyant and rather cute (except for Ice Man, who's just sizzling). The action looks like it's going to be a highlight in a big way.

Allow me to link you up to this awesome promo video.

Cheers,
Rainbow
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I totally wasn't planning for more than just three anime this spring, but I'm becoming more and more interested in Basquash!, which wasn't on the list. Not normally a fan of sports anime, but that fact doesn't stop me from enjoying a series. And it's only partly sports-related. The trailer makes it look like great fun, too.

Maybe I'll just follow this thread for the time being and see what people's impressions are after the first episode (or two). Eh, I'm probably going to join in anyway unless it's outright horrible.

Quote:
The character designs are a plus, they're flamboyant and rather cute (except for Ice Man, who's just sizzling).

Completely agree, especially with that last bit. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I saw the promo and it's really well animated and I don't know to much of the story but from the promo it looks pretty good. Hopefully it is because I'll have so many spring shows to watch Smile
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm somewhat excited for it, mostly because it's the only non slice-of-life or historical action show this season. In fact, it's the only sci-fi I believe.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
Yeah, sadly there's not much new scifi anime starting up this season.

In addition to this show, Shangri-La is also scifi.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for Basquash! It could either turn out really good, or so hilariously bad that it's fun to watch anyway. I can't see it not being enjoyable at all.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it looks really fun and I can't wait to see it.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I actually just saw the first episode. I definitely liked what I saw. As strange as the concept is, I found that it actually works.

I had high hopes for this show just based on the fact that Macross' Shoji Kawamori was involved. The first episode didn't disappoint.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or is this show taking a long time to be
subbed, actually a lot of shows are taking a long time
to be subbed.

Hopefully it comes soon I want to see this so bad....
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Basketball playing mechs that look like they're built out of retro-styled cars? Looks awesome (I need a word besides awesome to describe how I feel about a show when I'm excited).
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Fansubs are finally out (though as a massive file) and. . .

Damn, this series looks sharp.

Sure, it's a corny idea and a somewhat generic plot, but this is mecha artistry at its absolute best backed by some nearly as awesome background. A total visual triumph for Satelight and unquestionably the best-looking series so far this year.

Surprisingly strong on the sexual content, though. It has some expected Gurren Lagann-like sensibilities on a busty prominent female character and some unexpectedly intense innuendo in places.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
A total visual triumph for Satelight and unquestionably the best-looking series so far this year.

Interestingly, this series was originally the French animator Thomas Romain's project. Shoji Kawamori apparently saw the idea, loved it, and decided to produce it. Right now it's being worked on as a co-production between Japan and France (although all the French animators are currently in Japan at Satelight, I believe). One of my best friends is working on backgrounds for the series right now.

Key wrote:
...backed by some nearly as awesome background.

I'll be sure to give my friend your compliment. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good first episode, and damn does it look fine. It's silly in the way Gurren Lagann was, but I loved that. I have no complaints about the characters so far, my only problem is that I think Dan was given too many motivations too fast.

spoiler[okay, so he wants to destroy basketball because it hurt Coco, then when he finds out he likes Big Foots he wants to revolutionize basketball, but he also wants to get to the moon to get women/food/money/heal Coco.

I mean, why even make Coco disabled when there's so much else going on? It just comes off as cliche and tacky and unnecessary.

Boy though did I like that little twist at the end- he's been in jail a year. And this is the only time I've ever seen an anime character serve out his entire sentence Laughing ]

Spanky was EXCELLENT and I love his VA. Also the ED was sweet.

Looks like we're going to see a team in the future...maybe then they'll get to go to the moon. I'm hooked.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the first ep sub! It was really well done, even if it seems a bit cloche, but it's doing all the cliches right for one thing. Yeah, I noticed the Gurren Lagann like eye catch and Miyuki acting a bit Yoko with where she placed her breasts in a "any place is fine" attitude, but I love Gurren Lagann, this so far looks to me like the most likely candidate for "this season's TTGL", not that anything ever will be exactly like TTGL, but yeah, I'll be following this one.

I laughed so much at the scene where Dan brought Coco a pet kitty-like thing and then Spanky spoiler[ate it and spit out the bones when Coco went "I don't want it"]

And as someone already said, it looks just amazing, the background, mechs, character designs, I hope it keeps up, A+ so far for artwork. I do think that the BF that Dan was riding looked kinda like Megas XLR.

I'm glad I picked to follow this one, the cards on the table looked very promising, and the Spring Preview guide makes things a lot easier to help decide what to follow. Can't wait for the next ep!
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote
I just watched the first ep and I loved it. I'm not sure whether it's good or so bad it's good yet, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12