• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2009 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:40 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Well I can safely say, this Spring had some great shows (Dragon Ball Kai, Full Metal Alchemist, Chi's New Address), but really nothing masterpiece worthly like Toradora last year.

Who the hell considered Toradora anything near masterpiece quality after 2 episodes? Eden and Cross Game are easily superior shows after only 2 episodes... and I doubt they will have a stinker like the J.C Staff original episode 4 of Toradora throughout those series.
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:19 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:

Who the hell considered Toradora anything near masterpiece quality after 2 episodes? Eden and Cross Game are easily superior shows after only 2 episodes... and I doubt they will have a stinker like the J.C Staff original episode 4 of Toradora throughout those series.

After episode 2 of Toradora, I think it was pretty clear that the show was going to be a winner. episode 4 was a stinker? What? Toradora didn't have a single episode that could be considered bad.

Though, I will agree with you that the first two episodes of both Cross Game and Eden are better than Toradora!'s first two episode. I'm loving Cross Game right now, which kind of has a similar feel to Koi Kaze in a way too me. I am 100% positive that Cross Game will not disappoint.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure about Eden, it could technically fall into fail pretty easily. Though knowing the director, I'm going to say it wont. I've been wrong before and don't want to get my hopes up.

I'll be following quite a few of the new series this season for at least a few more weeks, where I figure I will be dropping one or two. 07-Ghost, Guin Saga, Cross Game, Eden of the East, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Valkyria Chronicles, Shangri-La, Pandora Hearts, Phantom~Requiem of the Phantom~, and Basquash! and even Sengoku Basara.

The new season Masterpieces definitely being Cross Game and probably Eden of the East.

On top of that I'm following Kemono no Souja Erin, which I'm just in love with at this point.

I'm guessing I'll be dropping at least one of the shows in the next three or so episodes and another two by episode 9. I'm putting my money on, Valkyria Chronicles and Phantom to be the first.

Overall, I think this season can be MUCH better than the last season. I'm figuring this because honestly, I only finished two of the series from it, Toradora and Casshern Sins. I dropped like everything else or can't even remember them. I remember dropping Chaos;head, Kuroshitsuji, Vampire Knight Guilty, I'm sure they were more.

I do have to ask you now Key that if you think this season is going to be average do you feel like last season was better? And why?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
RedLeader wrote:
See, that's the problem Shin Mazinger had. One reviewer was into Super Robot and got it just fine. The other two made it sound like it was the most horrible thing ever unless your some sort of super nerd and are already a fan which I think really reflects their own personal bias against the genre, rather than than reviewing the episode. :\

No, I knocked Shin Mazinger Z because it made no sense whatsoever unless you were already familiar with the subject matter. If a series can't fairly be criticized for that, then I'm not sure what you can fairly criticize it for.

Besides, I gave immensely better reviews to Gurren Lagann, Kirameki Project, and the first volume of Godannar that are on public record, and in fact rate the entirety of those first two series as Excellent. Try doing a little research before tossing around claims like someone having a "personal bias against the genre."

As for the first couple of episodes of Toradora! vs. Cross Game and Eden of the East: both of the latter two beat out Toradora for the first episode but have second episodes that, while still quite good on their own merits, are inferior to Toradora's wonderful second episode. (I'd probably give Eden another 4.5 for episode 2 and CG a 4 if we were still doing the Preview Guide, whereas I gave Toradora's second a 5+.) Both of the newcomers have yet to prove that they can maintain their quality over the long haul, but based on two episodes Eden looks like the jewel of the new season. My verdict's still out on CG until I see what exact direction it seems inclined to go.

~~Epic~~ wrote:
I do have to ask you now Key that if you think this season is going to be average do you feel like last season was better? And why?

No, that should not be taken as an indication that last season was better; frankly, I thought that one was pretty average overall, too. (A couple of standouts, but nothing spectacular.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
RedLeader wrote:
See, that's the problem Shin Mazinger had. One reviewer was into Super Robot and got it just fine. The other two made it sound like it was the most horrible thing ever unless your some sort of super nerd and are already a fan which I think really reflects their own personal bias against the genre, rather than than reviewing the episode. :\

No, I knocked Shin Mazinger Z because it made no sense whatsoever unless you were already familiar with the subject matter. If a series can't fairly be criticized for that, then I'm not sure what you can fairly criticize it for.

Besides, I gave immensely better reviews to Gurren Lagann, Kirameki Project, and the first volume of Godannar that are on public record, and in fact rate the entirety of those first two series as Excellent. Try doing a little research before tossing around claims like someone having a "personal bias against the genre."

As for the first couple of episodes of Toradora! vs. Cross Game and Eden of the East: both of the latter two beat out Toradora for the first episode but have second episodes that, while still quite good on their own merits, are inferior to Toradora's wonderful second episode. (I'd probably give Eden another 4.5 for episode 2 and CG a 4 if we were still doing the Preview Guide, whereas I gave Toradora's second a 5+.) Both of the newcomers have yet to prove that they can maintain their quality over the long haul, but based on two episodes Eden looks like the jewel of the new season. My verdict's still out on CG until I see what exact direction it seems inclined to go.

~~Epic~~ wrote:

No, that should not be taken as an indication that last season was better; frankly, I thought that one was pretty average overall, too. (A couple of standouts, but nothing spectacular.)

and what is you're thought on FMA:BH 2 and 3?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
and what is you're thought on FMA:BH 2 and 3?

Haven't seen ep 3 yet because I've resolved to watch that one only on Funimation's (licensed and legal) streaming video; if you don't respect them for what they're doing here then that won't encourage them to do more of it in the future.

As for ep 2. . . well, it's a different approach, to be sure. In its own way it's good, although I think the less compacted approach taken by the first series gives you a bit better feel for the central characters and the mechanics of how things work in that world. Also, I have to wonder how much sense I'd be making of everything if I was coming into this series fresh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RedLeader

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:29 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Yes, yes, but that's not my point of contenstion. I would've described the first episode as "operatic" or "epic" but then I'm a grizzled old veteran. :p Which, BTW, that robot with the boob cockpits is called Million Alpha. Wink

That said, my problem with your review is not either with your thoughts on the confusing storyline or even the uncalled for rant on how you hate people who do things backwards, granted it was a little off topic, but I'm letting that slide.

No, no, MY problem with your review, as stated above somewhat plainly, is your blanket appraisal that this show should only be watched by fans of ancient 70s stuff and no one else should bother because there's no way they'd ever like it. Because that would be ... Impossible, right? See, the review doesn't say don't watch it because the first episode is confusing, it says, don't watch it because it's too corny and cheesy and you shouldn't even bother with it.

And I DO believe it's been said on here that these previews are supposed to be about the first episode, not "blanket reviews" of the entire series at large. But, that sounded to me like passing judgement on the whole series based on its genre. It's like... Why bother watching the first episode at all? Just say, "This show is Moe, so if you like Moe watch it, if you don't, don't. Whatever." I mean... Of course, it's "corny" and everything's "over the top"! It's a Super Robot show! Why would expect anything different? And not just ANY Super Robot show either but a remake of the ORIGINAL Super Robot series from which ALL Super Robots are descended from. How things like Million Alpha having breast cockpits or an attack called "Big Bang Punch" could shock and unnerve you does not show either much experience or taste for the genre. And really, nothing speaks more about this than, "then stay well away."

"Um, yeah."

And sadly, the other reviewer didn't fare any better.

Quote:

Right... Because I should be as familiar with your work as you should be with Go Nagai's, right? Just as you obviously didn't bother to do any research on Mazinger, I didn't feel compelled to read any further than your description on your preview page. Heh. :p

Well, let's do a little research, then, shall we? One phrase that keeps coming up in each of those reviews is "70s mecha show homage" but you only compare the shows to modern series like Eva or Gunbuster 2 (okay, fine, you also get points for Gunbuster) and furthermore in none of these do you discount the series for being a part of the genre, so why suddenly bristle at Shin Mazinger's Super Robotness? Or is the Nagainess that scares you? Anime hyper But really, just what is your background concerning the Super Robot genre? You said you didn't have any experience with Mazinger so I'll assume you skipped ADV's Mazinkaiser release but what about Nagai's other robot shows? Getter Robo? Steel Jeeg? Groxier X? Gaiking? Maybe some Toei stuff? Combattler, Voltes, Daimos, either Voltron? Dancougar (the original, not Nova)? What have you seen and just what is your understanding of the genre? And why warn off viewers based on these traits?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
RedLeader wrote:
Yes, yes, but that's not my point of contenstion. I would've described the first episode as "operatic" or "epic" but then I'm a grizzled old veteran. :p Which, BTW, that robot with the boob cockpits is called Million Alpha. Wink

"Epic" isn't a word I'd associate with a series like this. That's for series which tell stories on a grand scale, and giant robot series rarely fall into that. (They may have grand actions, but not scale.) I certainly wouldn't use "operatic," either.

Quote:
No, no, MY problem with your review, as stated above somewhat plainly, is your blanket appraisal that this show should only be watched by fans of ancient 70s stuff and no one else should bother because there's no way they'd ever like it. Because that would be ... Impossible, right? See, the review doesn't say don't watch it because the first episode is confusing, it says, don't watch it because it's too corny and cheesy and you shouldn't even bother with it.

Okay, let's stop here. Even as a big fan of the genre, can you honestly claim or expect that a show in this style is going to have much appeal beyond those who are already fans of the genre? This is not a "bridge" or introductory title for the genre; this is pure, hard-core, classic giant robot content intended specifically for fans of the original works. (Or do you wish to deny that?) If I think a title might have appeal beyond genre fans, I will usually say it in a review/preview, and I have, in fact, often done so. Likewise, I think it's my duty to make it clear that a title is unlikely to have appeal beyond normal fans of the genre.

Quote:
But, that sounded to me like passing judgement on the whole series based on its genre. It's like... Why bother watching the first episode at all? Just say, "This show is Moe, so if you like Moe watch it, if you don't, don't. Whatever."

Um, that's pretty much what I did say. And besides, I was passing judgment based on the first episode, not the genre. (And while I'll agree that it's not usually fair to judge a whole series only by its first episode, it is the job and responsibility of the first episode to give an accurate feel for the series as a whole.)

Quote:
Right... Because I should be as familiar with your work as you should be with Go Nagai's, right? Just as you obviously didn't bother to do any research on Mazinger. . .

And obviously you don't know what you're talking about here, either. Nothing that I turned in a preview for went unresearched. I'm just clearly not the maven for the series that you are.

Quote:
Well, let's do a little research, then, shall we? One phrase that keeps coming up in each of those reviews is "70s mecha show homage" but you only compare the shows to modern series like Eva or Gunbuster 2 (okay, fine, you also get points for Gunbuster) and furthermore in none of these do you discount the series for being a part of the genre, so why suddenly bristle at Shin Mazinger's Super Robotness? Or is the Nagainess that scares you?

No, the others just did it much, much better, and in ways that were more understandable and accessible. (Geez, I feel like I'm repeating myself here. . .)

Quote:
But really, just what is your background concerning the Super Robot genre? You said you didn't have any experience with Mazinger so I'll assume you skipped ADV's Mazinkaiser release but what about Nagai's other robot shows? Getter Robo? Steel Jeeg? Groxier X? Gaiking? Maybe some Toei stuff? Combattler, Voltes, Daimos, either Voltron? Dancougar (the original, not Nova)?

The Giant Robot genre isn't normally my thing, so I don't watch a lot of it. I've seen enough from various series to be familiar with common characteristics and style points, and that should be sufficient for sake of comparison. From what I saw, this one did absolutely nothing to stand out in a genre as notorious as any for its typical conformity to genre style points.

Now, obviously, I don't expect a diehard Giant Robot fan like yourself to agree with me, just as I wouldn't expect anyone not normally at least tolerant of ecchi romantic comedies to agree with me that Midori Days was a good series for its type.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:21 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
RedLeader wrote:

"Epic" isn't a word I'd associate with a series like this. That's for series which tell stories on a grand scale, and giant robot series rarely fall into that. (They may have grand actions, but not scale.) I certainly wouldn't use "operatic," either.

I didn't say the series was epic, I said the episode was. :p Look at my own quote up there. I don't think even Go Nagai himself would ever describe any of his series as "epic" either. :p No, what I'm referring to is the impact of the first episode and the word "operatic" to describe its direction, story telling, and musical direction. Once again, not the series, but the episode. Smile Of course, you WOULD have to be intimately familiar with the series, especially the manga, since it draws from it so much more than the original series did, but even so, it should be easily apparent to any green horn that the first episode was no less than epic. But as I said, that's how I would've described it. Smile

Quote:
Okay, let's stop here. Even as a big fan of the genre, can you honestly claim or expect that a show in this style is going to have much appeal beyond those who are already fans of the genre? This is not a "bridge" or introductory title for the genre; this is pure, hard-core, classic giant robot content intended specifically for fans of the original works. (Or do you wish to deny that?) If I think a title might have appeal beyond genre fans, I will usually say it in a review/preview, and I have, in fact, often done so. Likewise, I think it's my duty to make it clear that a title is unlikely to have appeal beyond normal fans of the genre.

Yes, but wouldn't you say there's a fine line between saying it's "unlikely" to appeal to anyone beyond the genre fans and, "Stay as far away as you can!" You see, that makes it sound like Queen's Blade, not a servicible program with a high learning curve. :p

Quote:

Um, that's pretty much what I did say. And besides, I was passing judgment based on the first episode, not the genre. (And while I'll agree that it's not usually fair to judge a whole series only by its first episode, it is the job and responsibility of the first episode to give an accurate feel for the series as a whole.)

Then why does it read that way?

Quote:
And obviously you don't know what you're talking about here, either. Nothing that I turned in a preview for went unresearched. I'm just clearly not the maven for the series that you are.

Well, that's actually good to hear, but you didn't seriously expect me or anyone else here to thoroughly investigate you before disaggreeing with you, right? That's a bit much, don't you think?

Quote:
No, the others just did it much, much better, and in ways that were more understandable and accessible.

Did what "much, much better"? They... Were better homages? Had better first episodes? Can you be more specific?

Quote:
(Geez, I feel like I'm repeating myself here. . .)

Well, that is the point, isn't it? To clarify and understand what was up with that preview?

Quote:
The Giant Robot genre isn't normally my thing, so I don't watch a lot of it. I've seen enough from various series to be familiar with common characteristics and style points, and that should be sufficient for sake of comparison. From what I saw, this one did absolutely nothing to stand out in a genre as notorious as any for its typical conformity to genre style points.

Ah, but it's not really supposed to, now is it? Especially, when dealing with remaking the series that invented the ENTIRE Super Robot genre. Redefining a genre is the job of an entirely new series with no ties to the past like Big O or Eva. A series that already has a following you don't want to change too much because then you alienate the core audience. Like when they made Dancougar all Moe with Nova... Or Gundam SEED... [SHUDDERS] Now, of course, we've only seen three episodes of Shin Mazinger thus far and have yet to see what surprises lie in store for us but there's no good reason why Mazinger shouldn't be Mazinger, right? :p

Quote:
Now, obviously, I don't expect a diehard Giant Robot fan like yourself to agree with me, just as I wouldn't expect anyone not normally at least tolerant of ecchi romantic comedies to agree with me that Midori Days was a good series for its type.

Of course not, but the least we can do is to try, right? Smile
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
RedLeader wrote:
I didn't say the series was epic, I said the episode was. . . but even so, it should be easily apparent to any green horn that the first episode was no less than epic. But as I said, that's how I would've described it. Smile

Nothing about the first episode struck me as "epic" or "operatic," either.

Quote:
Well, that's actually good to hear, but you didn't seriously expect me or anyone else here to thoroughly investigate you before disagreeing with you, right? That's a bit much, don't you think?

For just disagreeing? No, you're right. However, you went further than just disagreeing and started tossing out accusations of bias. That I do expect the accuser to be able to substantiate via research or long-term familiarity.

It's just like the people who, from time to time (including earlier in this thread!), try to accuse us of being biased against ecchi content when I have, on many occasions, commented positively about high-quality fan service (or lamented about the lack thereof) in reviews.

Quote:
Quote:
No, the others just did it much, much better, and in ways that were more understandable and accessible.

Did what "much, much better"? They... Were better homages? Had better first episodes? Can you be more specific?

Solid homages with strong, sensible, and exciting/highly entertaining first episodes. . .yeah, I think that about covers it.

Quote:
Ah, but it's not really supposed to, now is it? Especially, when dealing with remaking the series that invented the ENTIRE Super Robot genre. Redefining a genre is the job of an entirely new series with no ties to the past like Big O or Eva. A series that already has a following you don't want to change too much because then you alienate the core audience. Like when they made Dancougar all Moe with Nova... Or Gundam SEED... [SHUDDERS] Now, of course, we've only seen three episodes of Shin Mazinger thus far and have yet to see what surprises lie in store for us but there's no good reason why Mazinger shouldn't be Mazinger, right? :p

You're missing the point. I wasn't previewing it strictly as a representative of its genre; I was previewing it against the entire field.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
You do have to remember that unlike the rest of the planet, the US and the UK didn't have a generation inmersed by True Super Robot Anime, instead they got watered down versions like Tranzor Z, Voltron, Force Five, Starbirds and Magnos the Robot (I think the only super robot show that ran uncut in the US was the Voltes V run on CBN), Goldorak (Ufo Robot Grendizer) pulled a 100% rating in France, and most of the international forums I've visited are foaming at the mouth for Shin Mazinger. and the case for Real Robots didn't look pretty either in the US until the 90' and early 00's

But Key, I fail to see how you can't consider ep 1 epic, It's the shape of things to come, alike a prophesy as the episode and specially the final 2 minutes of it are as epic as any of the stories of Old, Gods, Devils, The Classic Conflitct of Good VS Evil with the fate of the entire planet in the balance as the lone hero stands against the forces of Darkness!!!! (and with a insert/OP song by Lazy/Jam Project... so it has to be epic! Wink )

Last edited by Vicserr on Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
RedLeader

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Nothing about the first episode struck me as "epic" or "operatic," either.

Wow. That's just sad... I'm sorry, but it is... :\

Quote:
For just disagreeing? No, you're right. However, you went further than just disagreeing and started tossing out accusations of bias. That I do expect the accuser to be able to substantiate via research or long-term familiarity.

I see now that bias was too strong a word... In truth, you just don't "get" the show... And that's sad... Well, sad to me, anyway... :\

Quote:
It's just like the people who, from time to time (including earlier in this thread!), try to accuse us of being biased against ecchi content when I have, on many occasions, commented positively about high-quality fan service (or lamented about the lack thereof) in reviews.

Well, as a media outlet you sorta have to expect that to happen. Not saying it's justified, by any means, but when you publically air opinions, as is your job, someone's bound to get rubbed the wrong way--speak of the devil! Anime hyper

Quote:
Solid homages with strong, sensible, and exciting/highly entertaining first episodes. . .yeah, I think that about covers it.

Funny, that sounds like Shin Mazinger's first episode! Anime hyper

But how do you know it's a "solid homage" if you're not very familiar with the referrenced material?

Quote:
You're missing the point. I wasn't previewing it strictly as a representative of its genre; I was previewing it against the entire field.

Well, I guess we're just looking at two VERY different fields because while the first episode definately has that high learning curve, with both Go Nagai AND Imagawa helming this, it's got great potential, and I'm sorry you cannot see that. I really am. :\

Well, at least Kimlinger got it. He got it JUST right! Anime hyper

Quote:
You do have to remember that unlike the rest of the planet, the US and the UK didn't have a generation inmersed by True Super Robot Anime, instead they got watered down versions like Tranzor Z, Voltron, Force Five, Starbirds and Magnos the Robot (I think the only super robot show that ran uncut in the US was the Voltes V run on CBN), Goldorak (Ufo Robot Grendizer) pulled a 100% rating in France, and most of the international forums I've visited are foaming at the mouth for Shin Mazinger.

Also sad. Very, very sad. I remember reading years ago in the book, "Manga! Manga!", about how Italy and France they got ALL of the Mazinger Z manga published and then some! Here, in the US, not only did stuff get cut up badly, the toys were marketted COMPLETELY seperate of the source material with Marvel making up their own crappy comics that had nothing to do with originals and were just horrible! It's shocking to go on YouTube and see commercials for everything from Mazinger, Great Mazinger, Combattler, even Gaiking, from Mattel, but how were kids supposed to know how cool the toys were if they didn't see the original shows first? [sigh] And in turn, we now have a couple generations of Cold Bloods that just couldn't get it even if Gai Daigouji bit them!

Quote:
and the case for Real Robots didn't look pretty either in the US until the 90' and early 00's

And even they haven't quite taken off either. :\ I'd give my right arm for some Dragonar or L-Gaim or Layzner...

Quote:
But Key, I fail to see how you can't consider ep 1 epic, It's the shape of things to come, alike a prophesy as the episode and specially the final 2 minutes of it are as epic as any of the stories of Old, Gods, Devils, The Classic Conflitct of Good VS Evil with the fate of the entire planet in the balance as the long hero stands against the forces of Darkness!!!! (and with a insert/OP song by Lazy/Jam Project... so it has to be epic! )

Hear, hear! It may have been confusing and disconcerting to the uninitiated but it certainly was nothing if not epic! Anime hyper
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:32 am Reply with quote
This post has minor spoilers for Shangri-La episode one. You have been warned.

Casey wrote:
Anyway, Shangri-La could well be one of those shows that ends up being truly spectacular. On the other hand, it could end up being tremendously stupid. It's impossible to tell after only one episode, so be sure to stay tuned.

Well, having watched the first episode, I've already made up my mind. To me, Shangri-La most definitely falls into the "tremendously stupid" camp. Yes, it is very beautifully animated (though the background in several scenes were lazily done), and yes the music is good. But I simply cannot tolerate A: a miniskirt-wearing "genki-girl" lead, and B: atrociously bad writing. I'm sorry, but the writing was as bad as that. Take some examples:

---A detention facility where teenage girls throw their miniskirts in support of Kimiko. Who gives inmates something like a miniskirt to keep in their cell?

---A boomerang that can slice the barrel off a tank. I don't have to explain how wrong this is.

---A noble who goes around in a post-apocalyptic world with live (and therefore polluting) flames on either side of their Eastern-style throne, which is of course carried by slaves despite them being on a perfectly good road which has cars on it.

---Said noble had a subordinate who ordered the killing of two innocent civilians just because they were in a car that was somehow impeding or interrupting the noble's progress. Eh? Either get a hydrogen-powered limo or get off the road.

---They aforementioned two civilians were killed by a standard sniper rifle that somehow fired explosive rounds. Oh, and neither civilian had a single mark on them, despite being in the car when it blew up. How convenient for the body-identifying process.

---Another noblewoman with her massive harem of effeminate subservient boys; it was just so unrealistic. She kicks one because he "scratched" her. And yes, if it were the other way around (as it usually is) I would have still rolled my eyes.

---The idea that a little girl - and her teddy bear - can manipulate the world's carbon credit market is just absurd. And this girl apparently has the only computer system in the world. YuGiOh called to say they want Rebecca back. . .

---Following on from that, somehow a country that hasn't let go of its industrialisation for fifty years all of a sudden must kow-tow to buy credits is also absurd. If they hadn't lost their industrialisation then they should be in a fine military position, which means they should be able to stuff some. Even if fossil fuels had run out by then we already have the ability to make artificial oil. It should be enough for an invasion, especially against a vastly technologically inferior foe. Oh, that's right, we have a protagonist with a magical boomerang. . .

I could go on, but I think I've made my point. Shangri-La has bad writing, period. Writing that is made even worse when compared to the great animation and music. Too bad they indulged our eyes and ears at the cost of catering for our brains.

[Note: Posted it here, since I knew if I said anything bad about it in the dedicated thread for it I would just get attacked and flamed.]

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote
RedLeader wrote:
Quote:
and the case for Real Robots didn't look pretty either in the US until the 90' and early 00's

And even they haven't quite taken off either. :\ I'd give my right arm for some Dragonar or L-Gaim or Layzner...

But al least R1 had at one time or another access to the Holy Trinity of Real Robot Anime (MS Gundam, SDF Macross and AT VOTOMS) along other representative shows of the age (Zeta Gundam, GC Mospeada, SDC Orguss, SDC Southern Cross). For Super Robots the earliest complete example will be 1981's Beast King GoLion, a show that most will agree represents the twilight of the Super Robot genre. R1 has not seen the greatness that is the original Mazin Saga (Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, Ufo Robo Grendizer), Getter Robo and Getter Robo G, Darku Maryu Gaiking, Kotetsu Jeeg, Magno Robo Gakeen, Tadao Nagahama's Robot Romance Trilogy (Chodenji Robo Combattler V, Chodenji Machine Voltes V, Tosho Daimos), Yusha Raideen, Daitarn 3, Xabungle, God Mars, God Sigma or the transitional works that heralded the change from the Super Robot Age to the Real Robot age (Invincible Superman Zambot 3, Space Warrior Baldios, Space RunAway Ideon), I't's really sad that basically an era that is so fondly remembered across the World, in the US is just basically a footnote on a book. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

As for others not reviewing Shin Mazinger Z yet: give it until the end of the day before complaining about that. A massive flood of stuff became available yesterday afternoon and evening, and I'm sure we're all just trying to get caught up.

I did you one better and opted to wait for the Spring 2009 preview feature to complete. Let's see how much of what I wrote back in this post still applies.

Anime World Order wrote:

For example: many people rely solely on the Fall/Spring Anime Preview guides to get an idea of what's coming out in Japan at that moment. (That's kind of the point of why it's there.) But what if a series doesn't quite start right during that same week or so of Fall/Spring? Well, then it doesn't get covered in the guide since it's out of scope and there are already so many titles to cover as it stands. It's an understandable position for ANN to take. But the effect it has is that unless you're already a dedicated fan--and based on the DVD sales in the US, you are probably not--you would not know that there is a brand new Hajime no Ippo anime series entitled Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger just from reading the preview guides, because it started in January. So it is that anyone relying on the guides to find out what's new (and judging from the reactions, that's a lot of folks!) will never even know the series exists, and it will remain one of the best shows that nobody is watching.

This is still the case. For example, the first episode of Souten Kouro just aired, and even though the first episode is quite strong and definitely looks like one to watch, a substantial amount of people who look to these features to find out what's new and what to consider watching are never going to know Souten Kouro even exists at all because it's not part of the Spring 2009 Preview Guide. Since it's probably only going to be a standard season in length, it'll never be covered in the Fall 2009 guide either. To the eyes of most "casual Internet anime fans" (a slightly odd term, I know), it may as well not exist. This isn't a nefarious plot to prevent the masses from ever knowing about Toyoo Ashida's latest anime triumph so much as the result of when a new series starts airing in Japan a few weeks later than usual, but the end result is ultimately the same.

In the end, 3 out of the 5 reviewers did offer previews of Shin Mazinger Z, so people do at least know THAT exists. Whether the reviewers liked it or not is not as important to me as the fact that they all agreed with one another in one critical area:

Casey Brienza wrote:
It's so hard to make heads or tails of anything without extensive prior background with the Z Mazinger manga by Go Nagai that you may find yourself wondering if you are even watching episode one.

Key wrote:
Of course, this might make some sense if you have actually seen the original Mazinger Z series (I haven't)

Carl Kimlinger wrote:
Presumably all of this would be mana from heaven to those who grew up watching the original television series (and who consequently can make heads or tails of it), but you don't need to know who Dr. Hell is or what happened to Kouji's mother to end up downing this episode like a bottle of cinematic white lightning.

Ignoring the fact that Casey incorrectly said the series was based on the Z Mazinger manga because that's what Wikipedia said at the time she wrote it, all of them conveyed to the reader "you cannot make sense out of Shin Mazinger Z unless you have seen these old Go Nagai cartoons [which nobody in America has seen EDIT: except in certain parts of the country 25 years ago]!" so even though people know it exists, they all think that you need prior knowledge to fully appreciate the series. (Carl did note that even if you knew nothing about it you could still enjoy it, but he still suggested that having prior knowledge was needed to make sense out of it.) As a result, only the crazy super robot fanatics like me are watching it, which was precisely my concern at the time:

Anime World Order wrote:
If more reviews and comments get posted that say "I don't know anything about Go Nagai stuff and therefore I can't watch this because it's too confusing," that will influence a large swath of US anime fans because we as a whole do not really know much about Go Nagai stuff. Most of it never got released here.

And in fact, it appears that's what people are going back and forth over right now in this thread:

Key wrote:

. . .

Okay, let's stop here. Even as a big fan of the genre, can you honestly claim or expect that a show in this style is going to have much appeal beyond those who are already fans of the genre? This is not a "bridge" or introductory title for the genre; this is pure, hard-core, classic giant robot content intended specifically for fans of the original works. (Or do you wish to deny that?)

As a matter of fact, yes. I do wish to deny this. In fact, I already did:

Anime World Order wrote:
...the viewer is not expected to have prior knowledge of who any of those characters and situations are. If you did, it would not matter because there is no defined continuity or universe in which the stories occur. In fact, much like how Giant Robo the Animation is a compilation of the multiple works and characters of Mitsuteru Yokoyama, so too is Shin Mazinger that only for Go Nagai. In both cases, it doesn't matter if you've never seen anything prior. (Same thing's true for Leiji Matsumoto works, which also go unwatched by most due to the falsely held idea that the other titles featuring the Yamato or Captain Harlock or whatever relate to whatever the newest one is. It's not true and it never was, but nobody ever seems to point this out.)

Just like with Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, the fact that the same characters existed in previous works with similar situations doesn't actually have any bearing on this new one. I don't consider this an issue of differing opinion. That's just straight-up true and to suggest otherwise is incorrect.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann was a big hit (fan-wise, anyway) not too long ago, and many who liked that one should also be able to equally enjoy the various Go Nagai remakes (Mazinkaizer, the assorted new Getter Robo titles, Jeeg, etc). But US fan support for the new Go Nagai stuff isn't even a quarter of the popularity of TTGL, and it's not because Gurren Lagann is just that much better or different in tone, characterization, or what have you. There are a few reasons, but a big one is that people think the new Go Nagai series are solely for the nostalgia-seeking set at the expense of everyone else. And the reason they think that is because a lot of people on prominent websites, including this one, keep saying that.

Last edited by Anime World Order on Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Ignoring the fact that Casey incorrectly said the series was based on the Z Mazinger manga because that's what Wikipedia said at the time she wrote it, all of them conveyed to the reader "you cannot make sense out of Shin Mazinger Z unless you have seen these old Go Nagai cartoons [which nobody in America has seen]!" so even though people know it exists, they all think that you need prior knowledge to fully appreciate the series. (Carl did note that even if you knew nothing about it you could still enjoy it, but he still suggested that having prior knowledge was needed to make sense out of it.) As a result, only the crazy super robot fanatics like me are watching it, which was precisely my concern at the time:

You might want to amend that to:
Quote:
"you cannot make sense out of Shin Mazinger Z unless you have seen these old Go Nagai cartoons [which nobody in the Americas has seen in recent times]!"

Because I can guarantee that those Go Nagai cartoons were broadcasted in the Americas, uncut in Mexico, Central, South America, the Spanish Caribbean (probably with the exception of Cuba) for sure with Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, Groizer X and the Force Five style "Festival de los Robots" syndicated deal with "El Gladiador" (Daiku Maryu Gaiking), "El Vengador" (Kotetsu Jeeg) and not a Go Nagai show, but a super robot show none the less "Super Magnetron" (Magno Robo Gakeen).

The US got them watered down (Damn You FCC!!!) with Tranzor Z (Mazinger Z). StarVengers (Getter Robo G), Grandizer (Ufo Robo Grendizer) and Gaiking on Force Five. Quite probably French Canada got some Goldorak exposure out of their french programming, somebody from that neck of the woods should inform us of what super Robot anime got shown there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 43 of 44