• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Toei's Air Master, Captain Harlock

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I hope the deal includes a DVD release for them. Especially, FOTNS, GE 999, & Harlock. If Funi do manage to put them on DVD i swear that i'll never bad mouth them ever again !
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Later this afternoon, we'll have all 109 episodes of Fist of the North Star and 43 episodes of Fist of the North Star 2 go live on www.funimation.com/video

So today, we'll be adding 152 episodes. That's a whole lot of Ken.

Lance
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy
blog.funimation.com
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I AM SHOCK
DFBTG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Now all I need is 'Denno Coil' and I can die happy.

I'm with you there, though my personal list would include a DVD release of it (and Strike Witches...). Anyway, as much as I enjoy more free and legal streaming offered, most of this is offered on CR at the moment, and I don't have any interest in any of them. Now, if they'd have the original Digimon Adventures or Digimon Tamers, that'd be a different story.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I guess DVDs aren't foreseeable for the shows then? How about subbing and dubbing the movies on DVD then? That'd be worth it at least, and probably far cheaper.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The problem here is that the cost of dubbing 42 episodes is insanely high, especially if you expect it to be any kind good quality. If you just want a dub regardless, you can expect it to be second rate. I love Harlock to death, but it's an old show, and old shows just DO NOT sell well at all because the reasoning seems to be "Ew, that looks old." I know people despise the word word niche, but this is definitely true in the case of Harlock of GE999, they don't have wide fanbases anymore because they're 30 years too late for that. So the people who love the stuff are the people who like old animation and Matsumoto stuff, which in R1 is an exceedingly small amount of people compared to the general anime populace. I know the rebuttal to this will be "BAWWWW I WANT DUBS REGARDLESS OF THE FACTS AND OPINIONS PRESENTED" so I guess my argument is pointless.

I do agree with the fact that the shows are too old for the anime audience of today but I don't think releasing DVDs of said shows are completely out of the question. However, FUNimation will have to consider the possibility of a "print on demand" approach if they're going to go through with this. Namely, print copies for those who've ordered the shows and you don't have to worry about excess baggage.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Hey Funi, with your new partnership with Toei, I have two words for you:

Sailor. Moon.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Sailor. Moon.
Four addiotnal words: "Not using DiC's masters"
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Sailor. Moon.
Four addiotnal words: "Not using DiC's masters"

Here's four more: Not going to happen.
bossyman15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
OMFG GALAXY EXPRESS 999 AND HARLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!

I JUST DIED INSIDE!

HURRRRRRRY UP AND RELEASE IT ON DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Labbes wrote:
I would buy Captain Harlock in a heartbeat. Dubbed. On DVD.
Now I am just praying that it's going to happen.

The problem here is that the cost of dubbing 42 episodes is insanely high, especially if you expect it to be any kind good quality. If you just want a dub regardless, you can expect it to be second rate. I love Harlock to death, but it's an old show, and old shows just DO NOT sell well at all because the reasoning seems to be "Ew, that looks old." I know people despise the word word niche, but this is definitely true in the case of Harlock of GE999, they don't have wide fanbases anymore because they're 30 years too late for that. So the people who love the stuff are the people who like old animation and Matsumoto stuff, which in R1 is an exceedingly small amount of people compared to the general anime populace. I know the rebuttal to this will be "BAWWWW I WANT DUBS REGARDLESS OF THE FACTS AND OPINIONS PRESENTED" so I guess my argument is pointless.

I understand what you want to say, and it is a sad fact. I am usually not one to say "fansubs are better than the screw-ups the companies call "subs" ", but I think it is very hard to do a better, or even equal job, as L-E did with Harlock.
Don't get me wrong, I will buy Harlock if it comes on DVD, even sub-only. I feel I should support the shows I love, even if it gives me "nothing more" than the fansubs. However, with a dub, I would pay nearly any price, whereas I would wait for it to get cheaper when it's sub-only.

Edit: Dubbing / re-releasing the movies of Harlock and Galaxy Express would be awesome, and less costly than their respective shows, as well.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Here's four more: Not going to happen.

Why not? I like to stay optimistic. Toei was letting the renewal of the Sailor Moon licenses die out because they apparently had plans to re-release the series here in the US on their own, but now that their plans here in America seems to be gone, as hinted by this latest announcement, I think it's very much possible as long as Toei isn't asking for some insane amount of money for it.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Digimon 02 is nice and all... but I'd much rather have the first season, Digimon Adventure, in original Japanese. On DVD. Heck, I'd even buy the dub for the nostalgia value. Digimon = want. T-T

I'd probably buy GE99 and/or Harlock if they were on DVD. Maybe not right away, I'd need to save up for it, but I'd do it.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
(sigh) I REALLY don't post here as often as I should...

Anyway, to those who are willing to buy these even if they were dubbed, I ask you this:

Assuming these shows would ultimately be completed, how badly do you really want these shows? If they were to be dubbed?

Would you be willing to buy DVDs of these shows if (in a hypothetical scenario) they were to be, say...dub-only?

What if Funimation were to "Shin-chan"-ize these shows (you all know about that, right)?

If Funimation were to release Pretty Cure on DVD, how do you know they wouldn't do their own dub (as opposed to including the Ocean/Blue Water dub [altered music notwithstanding] currently airing in Canada)?

Then there's Digimon Adventures 02. They could just license the Saban masters from Disney and only include that version.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we need to be careful what we wish for. That said, we should call/write/whatever, and let Funimation know how we would prefer to see these shows (FWIW, I agree with another poster who believes that this could be test marketing to gauge DVD potential for these shows).

If the FUNI rep is still here, I have a question. Assuming it's the original Japanese version, what kind of subtitle script will Pretty Cure have? Will it use the "Nippon Golden Network" version seen on Crunchyroll, or will it use an original sub script? Whatever it is you do, since this is a family friendly show (even by U.S. standards), I hope you won't make any characters curse (not even "d" or "h" words), because IMHO, that would be (with all due respect) completely moronic.

In any event, I don't know about anyone else, but personally, I need to consider every possibility. More importantly, the whole "Shin-chan" thing is going to weigh in on whether or not I'll even consider getting any Funimation DVD of any of the Toei series mentioned here. No offense to Funimation, but nobody likes a double standard (at least I don't)...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Toei to Funimation eh?
Speaking for myself, it's likely these shows are under better care now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5